Charlaine Harris "Sookie Stackhouse" Series SPOILERS - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, as long as I think of it as something different from the books, I am fine LOL But comparing the two makes me go crazy I read that season 2 will be based on book 2.... makes sense seeing that they have pulled a couple of the things from book 2 into season 1.

As for the books, the cover for Book 9(?) is up on the website now..... I think we should get the first chapter preview soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 AM

ITA with both of you! I can't compare the 2, it makes me crazy. But if I let the show go and watch it as something totally separate from the books, it's ok. And I like it.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
Old 12-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Dead and Gone chapter 1 is here!!!!! :
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finished Dead Until Dark last night. I like Bill well enough, but I'm already rooting for Eric. He's more interesting. Honestly, Bill isn't very compelling.

Something I'm just going to have to let go of, accept that it's writer's prerogative: Prior to when Rene attacked Sookie, she goes through one alarming, terrifying, traumatic event after another, but she doesn't seem to be reacting the way I think I would. She's the one who found her murdered grandmother, but she doesn't fall apart, she doesn't act terrified. And it seemed like she hardly mourned at all.

Aside from that, I'm really enjoyed it. The next two books are on my night stand.

Question: at the very end when Bill is there with her in the hospital room, she sees Eric's face outside the window. Is he really there or is she imagining it?

=========

Edited to say, I like Andy Bellefleur better in the book than in the show. In the show he's just an ass. In the book he's more sympathetic.

However, I think the show handled the scene where Sookie wakes up to find a naked Sam on her bed much more logically than the book did! At least in the show Sam has the good grace to act mortified about Sookie seeing him naked. In the book he's positively aggressive.:

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Question: at the very end when Bill is there with her in the hospital room, she sees Eric's face outside the window. Is he really there or is she imagining it?
They don't ever really say, I don't think. But based on info learned throughout the series, I'd say he probably was. Sookie has a strong connection to the supes, and she and Eric definitely have a connection.

I read the first chapter of book 9. I am excited to see where it's going. I don't wanna wait til May!!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 AM

Okay guys - you are going to all disagree with me, but I just finished the first book and I like the show better. Is it terrible? First of all, Bill's character is so much better in the show. I love how much he loves Sookie, how much he is willing to do for her. I feel like it's not as much in the book (in the first book at least). Erik's character is way more compelling in the book then in the show.
I love how much more is invested in LaFayette and Jason in the show rather then in the book. They are some of my favorite characters.
Sookie didn't seem that surprise that Sam is a shapeshifter in the book as in the movie which i didn't find believable.
And Tara is a great touch. Without her the show would be more boring.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
Okay guys - you are going to all disagree with me, but I just finished the first book and I like the show better. Is it terrible? First of all, Bill's character is so much better in the show. I love how much he loves Sookie, how much he is willing to do for her. I feel like it's not as much in the book (in the first book at least). Erik's character is way more compelling in the book then in the show.
I love how much more is invested in LaFayette and Jason in the show rather then in the book. They are some of my favorite characters.
Sookie didn't seem that surprise that Sam is a shapeshifter in the book as in the movie which i didn't find believable.
And Tara is a great touch. Without her the show would be more boring.
First, I'll preface my comment by saying that I don't think Charlaine Harris is a terribly good writer. She's fine. She's a darn sight better writer than that currently very popular vampire romance writer. Sookie doesn't get on my very last nerve. But the writing does plod along sometimes.

But Alan Ball has taken a fun story and some characters that only hinted at some potential, and he developed them into three dimensional, entertaining characters. Lafeyette and Tara are very likeable, and the scene where they shoo everyone out of Sookie's house at Gran's memorial reception was a great addition to the story.

And, yeah, like I said, I think the show portrayed the scene where Sam reveals he's a shape shifter much more logically. Sookie screamed her head off! In the book dog-Sam sticks his nose up her skirt when alreayd Sookie knows who the dog is. :

Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 PM

Got the books for Christmas....on Book 4 now. I am completely Team Eric...for now. LOL!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM

I like the decision Sookie made at the end of Book 3, and so I stopped there.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Just finished Dead as a Doornail. Oh my gosh, I love the books now!!! what a turn around for me. I hope Alan Ball at least follows the main premises/plots of the books. I'm all about Eric still. I love the relationship those 2 have. Alan Ball BETTER STICK TO THAT ONE!!!
Also, all those new characters: Alcide, Debbie... Can't wait to find out who will play those parts.

Did anyone notice how everyone is just in love with Sookie? Everyone want her? It's like the author is living all her sexual fantasies through her character.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
Just finished Dead as a Doornail. Oh my gosh, I love the books now!!! what a turn around for me. I hope Alan Ball at least follows the main premises/plots of the books. I'm all about Eric still. I love the relationship those 2 have. Alan Ball BETTER STICK TO THAT ONE!!!
Also, all those new characters: Alcide, Debbie... Can't wait to find out who will play those parts.

Did anyone notice how everyone is just in love with Sookie? Everyone want her? It's like the author is living all her sexual fantasies through her character.
I noticed that, too, and I think it's a big part of the appeal.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I noticed that, too, and I think it's a big part of the appeal.
You are absolutely right!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
...She's a darn sight better writer than that currently very popular vampire romance writer. ...:
Which series are you talking about? I'll stear clear of them.

For instance, I didn't really like the Twilight series. Angela Knight has written some vampire books (Magekind) and I do like them.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM

Yes, I'm referring to Twilight. That's the only other vampire story I've read since Anne Rice's series, back in the 80s.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I miss Bill
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Amcal, since this thread is clearly marked SPOILERS I won't hesitate to ask, what are you referring to? I stopped reading at #3, Club Dead, and don't mind having it spoiled for me.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Sookie breaks up with Bill over the Lorena stuff. The next book is all about her and Eric. I'm in the middle of that book and I'm really missing Bill. He's not even in this book.

I like Eric and think he's super hot and sexy but, he doesn't love her. Bill does.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 AM

*can I just jump in here?*
I read the books a while ago and w/o HBO desperately want to see the TBlood episodes and how they measure up. That being said, Sookie's love life: why can't she and Sam fall in love. It might be my desperation that picks up a bit of chemistry between them. But we can all dream.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Sookie breaks up with Bill over the Lorena stuff. The next book is all about her and Eric. I'm in the middle of that book and I'm really missing Bill. He's not even in this book.

I like Eric and think he's super hot and sexy but, he doesn't love her. Bill does.
I don't think Bill loves Sookie. I think Eric does.

Get caught up on the series, you'll see what I mean. I remember being completely baffled as to why my friend liked Eric so much, instead of Bill. She just said, "keep reading, you'll see".

Sookie and Eric have a deep connection, they really do.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Ok, I'm going to stick with it.

My fear is that because Eric has lost his memory in this book that he's going to get it back at the end of the book and completely forget all the love and tenderness he showed Sookie and we'll be back to him just wanting to get in her pants.

I really like Alcide too

Can you imagine having all these hot supernatural beings wanting you at ever turn?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Can you imagine having all these hot supernatural beings wanting you at ever turn?
Yes. Yes I can.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Amcal,
Since this thread is clearly marked for spoilers, I'll give you something to consider: what if Eric does lose his memory about his time with Sookie (as you fear,) but then slowly appears to get that memory back. But maybe she can't quite be sure how much of that memory he's gotten back. All of it? Some of it? None of it but he's pretending? Just think about it.

That said, I'm still Team Quinn. He's hot. And has a pulse. And no crazy ex.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama View Post
Amcal,
Since this thread is clearly marked for spoilers, I'll give you something to consider: what if Eric does lose his memory about his time with Sookie (as you fear,) but then slowly appears to get that memory back. But maybe she can't quite be sure how much of that memory he's gotten back. All of it? Some of it? None of it but he's pretending? Just think about it.

That said, I'm still Team Quinn. He's hot. And has a pulse. And no crazy ex.

I'm hooked I'll keep reading
Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 AM

well I have been reading this series and I think that reading books that are in a series that I have to wait for the next one to be written is making me crazy because I can read a good book in a day or 2 and then wait months and months for the next-- I have an Eric bias- atleast Charlaine writes quickly, her other 2 series I have read but could take or leave them--
and yep I have been reading the Hallows too that next one will be out very soon,
Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 PM

I've read the whole series and I think Bill loves Sookie. I don't think it started out that way, but I think at this point in the story line both Eric and Bill are in love with her. I can't decide who I prefer her to be with.... I was a diehard Bill fan until the time with Eric and now I am torn LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM

I just finished Dead as a Doornail and I'm missing the romance There wasn't really much with Bill or Eric in this one. Except when Bill visits her in the hospital. He loves her. Eric wants her but up to this point, it seems Bill is the one who really loves her.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 AM

I wish I hadn't tore through all the books. They were so delightful and such a good escape from REALITY. First book I've read from the SCI-Fi section in a long time.
My favorite character is Eric.

And yes, you're on to something when you notice that everyone has the hots for Sookie-I guess some of the magic is lost on TV cuz I just don't see what's so hot about her. Keep reading, you'll find out what's so special about Sookie Stackhouse.

I was really let down with the last book.

My favorite was the one where Sookie babysits Eric--3rd or 4th
and then the one with the Vampire Conference. 6 I think?

So for me: Team Eric
My sister is Team Alcid, LOL
My goofy sil tried to read them but didn't read them in order and has now given up. Seriously, they were all in order when I loaned them to her.

I'm reading Breaking Dawn now of the Twilight series. (Quickly, before them movies ruin it for me.) LOL

I need a new good vampire book. And not the jr. version either. I'm a "dirty old lady" (according to dd) who misses the Ann Rice series.

I put my mom onto these books. For something on her ride home from her visit after her complaining about her um, intimate life.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM

I've hear the "Undead" series by MaryJanice Davidson is supposed to be fantastic. I think they're called the "Queen Betsy" books.

http://www.amazon.com/Undead-Unwed-Q...6175911&sr=1-2
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM

I'm on Team Eric. I was voting for Quinn, but since appears to be in the past, I'm back to Eric again.

Anyone taking bets about her ending up with Hoyt at the end of the series? Just to mess with everyone?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
I need a new good vampire book. And not the jr. version either. I'm a "dirty old lady" (according to dd) who misses the Ann Rice series.
The first several of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books are very good. The second half of the series, um, not so much.

User Tag List