January: Baby, Toddler & Pregnant Mamas, Too ~ After A Loss - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 01-01-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're in 2009!!! Wishing everyone the best & lots of milestones with our new babes :

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#2 of 97 Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM

Happy New Year! The first half of 2008 was incredibly stressful and the second half wonderful. Soooo much better than 2007.

I slept in way too long this morning. Wait, does it count as sleeping in if I get up with baby and then go back to sleep for his first nap? Probably not, but it did feel good sleeping!

I forgot to say a big Hi to Rachel! So nice to see your post and pictures. You all look so happy (which you should be!). Pop in more than every few months, lol.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#3 of 97 Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Hi, mamas! Happy New Year! Just thought it was time to check in and say hello...
#4 of 97 Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
Happy New Year! The first half of 2008 was incredibly stressful and the second half wonderful. Soooo much better than 2007.
Doesn't even compare, does it? I remembered last Christmas – which we basically ignored, holding our breaths that this new pregnancy would result in a real, live baby – then this one, watching Leo play with wrapping paper. :
What a difference a year can make!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 97 Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Doesn't even compare, does it? I remembered last Christmas – which we basically ignored, holding our breaths that this new pregnancy would result in a real, live baby – then this one, watching Leo play with wrapping paper. :
What a difference a year can make!

You are so right. I can remember being so afraid last Christmas. If I have gotten one gift from my losses, it's how much more I appreciate my babies who are living.
#6 of 97 Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
If I have gotten one gift from my losses, it's how much more I appreciate my babies who are living.
Exactly. I'm much more patient and less irritable. Kind of hard to get irritated once you've seen what could happen. I just look in my kids' eyes and anger melts away.

I've still got a bit of a superstitious nature though. I haven't posted on that Encouraging Stories thread, can you believe it? Like if I do, I'll wake up and find it was all a dream. I hope that goes away eventually because I really am loving life at the moment.

#7 of 97 Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

We got wonderful news that close friends of ours had their 2nd little boy on the 2nd. In the same conversation we found out that only half of his heart developed properly. He was taken to one of the university hospitals, but nobody's sure what will happen next. And on top of it all, they don't have insurance. I'm so scared for them, but am trying to stay positive. If you guys would, please send some prayers & healthy & healing vibes to their little guy, they need all the support they can get right now. Thanks

#8 of 97 Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Amy - I am definitely going to try to pop in more often now that I am back to work. I will check in when work is slow. At home with Quinn there is no truly slow times. When he is napping I have work around the house to get done.

Meredyth - I thought of you mamas often, even when I wasn't checking in here. Your friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Quinn is such an easy baby. He has slept through the night for us since 6 weeks. He sleeps now from 9pm-7 or 8am on the weekends and during the week I have to wake him at 6:15 to nurse him before I leave for work. Because he sleeps so long though we often awake to a wet crib because his diaper is filled to capacity. He has started eating food like a champ and loves his cereal, veggies and fruits. This weekend he gave his first wave that even a stranger would know what he was doing and now waves all the time. It is amazing how fast they grow and change!

I think I saw in the last thread about losing hair. My hair is just coming out in wads when I shower and the bathroom floor and my pillow are covered in hair all the time. It is a wonder I have any left!!!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#9 of 97 Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel Thanks Seeing familiar faces makes me feel like "the gang's all here*

Okay, selfish post from me I've been putting off for a few weeks taking a pg test, but today I feel so queasy & yucky that I'm really wondering if I could be. I also am having food aversions. Part of me is freaking the hell out and the other part thinks the other part is nuts. Have to walk to pick up Jacob from school and once DH gets home from work I'll make a trip to the Dollar Tree for a test, but oh man I'm freaked. I would be so thrilled, but I'm worried it's too soon; Eli is only 4 months old!!!! I'm nursing all the time, no cycle, just don't see how I could be. Well, I see how I could be Will update later....

#10 of 97 Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Waiting to hear Meredyth!

Newborn is hard! I miss my big boy.
#11 of 97 Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Hi all.

Lots of new names, maybe I should be more active.

Ali is 14 months old, and I am having the huge baby bug...but I am totally terrified to even think about it...it would be pregnancy number 6 for me...P#1 = DS1; P#2 - MC; P#3 = DS2; P#4 = full term loss during labor; P#5 = DD2...see where potential fear comes from...

Plus, she is a handful and has to be into everything
#12 of 97 Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Okay now I'm wondering..

Meredyth did you test?????
#13 of 97 Old 01-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Checking on you Meredyth! Please update us since I am dying to know.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#14 of 97 Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to POAS tomorrow and will post Both of my SIL's have u/s scheduled so maybe some of the baby juju will rub off on me

Christine I remember you said you tested almost every month and I think that's a safe bet for me since Elias has been sleeping through the night for about a month now!!!

#15 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Meredyth - Eagerly awaiting your update.

Quinn has been sleeping through the night for me pretty consistantly since he was 6 weeks old. I am nursing 6am, pumping while at work 10am and 2pm, pumping at home 7pm and nursing before bed 9pm. I would think my cycles would return since I am not nursing/pumping too often but I am yet to get a postpartum AF.

Quinn is definitely losing interest in nursing...is this normal at nearly 6 months? In the morning when I nurse I will often drink juice and he pulls off, tries to sit up and reaches for my glass. During the day while I am at work he gets bottles of pumped milk supplemented with some formula since I have had milk production issues and wasn't making enough for him. At night he gets a bottle before bed and then nurses sometimes too. I had to start giving him a bottle before bed because sadly he prefers that some nights....not sure why every night he has a different preference. Quinn has never been a great nurser, hence my milk production issues. He falls asleep, pulls off and looks around the room or smiles and laughs at me. Since I have been back to work and am pumping my milk supply have increased significantly.

It is a rainy dreary day here in PA...I am very ready to see some sunshine. Hope everyone is having a nice day

#16 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM

Meredyth - you are keeping us all on the edge of our seats

Things are going pretty good here. I am absolutely exhausted. This mom of 4 kid things is pretty tough. The kids started back to school, therapy, etc on mon. so we are back to a pretty busy schedule. Dh is not back in school yet so he is still able to help but I am not always getting a nap and find that I really need one most days.
My body is healing pretty well and I have lost not quite half of the weight (it usually takes about a year for the rest of it to come off). We are going skiing on sat. and that will be the first real exercise I have done. We will se how I do.
I was so worried this pg that something was wrong w/ the baby. It was a different type of fear than when I was pg w/ cyrus (immediately after my losses). Now that she is here and absolutely perfect I just keep waiting for the ball to drop.
She is getting bigger (already over 8lbs at 2 wks) and is a little over 2 wks old. She nurses great and sleeps just like a new born (no sleeping through the night here). She is a very happy baby and seems to be doing fabulously but I still worry.
I am still in total shock that I have a little girl. After 3 boys I was just expecting boy numbe 4. We have tons of girly, lacy, pink and purple clothes already. It is pretty fun dressing her up (and she doesn't mind being changed).
I hope everyone is doing well. I love seeing all of the new babies on here. There has been a complete turnover since the thread originally started and I just think that is so wonderful bcs it means that those original posters have big healthy toddlers and that all of the new posters have wonderful, healthy, new babies.
Much love
Nicole

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#17 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Nicole...I love the girly clothes. Fiona now has enough hair to put in a barret. I love that she looks like me too..

Yes I do remember testing every month. I nursed Aiden for 2 years and never had a period, so testing became a bit of a habit for me. Speaking of which, my dh needs to get off his butt and get the big V soon.

Rachel....The whole looking around thing is normal. I never have to pump, because Fiona's babysitter lives right across the street from my office. But I can't sit down a nurse. She's too interested in the world for that, so I have to nurse her in her bjiorn and pace around in the back room.

Aiden never had any solids until he was almost 9 months. Fiona is almost 6 months, but already in size 18month clothes. I'm really wondering how long I can keep up with her.

all right Meredyth still waiting, how many lines do you see?
#18 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to keep everyone in suspense I just POAS and it was negative. Which I'm totally fine with

#19 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM

I also just bought a stash of pregnancy tests, just in case What is with all these big babies? Owen is in 12 months size clothes and he will be 5 months next week. Ian was so itty bitty compared to him but they are/were both equally healthy and happy.

I am absolutely in love with my little guy! I am still on the fence about whether or not to try for another in a year or 2. If I knew it would be easy I would do it in a heartbeat. But...with the ectopic and 2 m/c's of the past...I just don't know if I want the stress or heartache.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#20 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Rachel....The whole looking around thing is normal. I never have to pump, because Fiona's babysitter lives right across the street from my office. But I can't sit down a nurse. She's too interested in the world for that, so I have to nurse her in her bjiorn and pace around in the back room.

Fiona is almost 6 months, but already in size 18month clothes.
Christine - Even if I walk around, that isn't good enough for Quinn. He has his head on a swivel and just looks at everything. He also loves to smile and would rather smile up at me than nurse. Nursing him has been very trying.

And I thought Quinn was big because he is 5 months, wearing 9 month clothing. Oh my goodness. How much does Fiona weigh and how long is she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
Sorry to keep everyone in suspense I just POAS and it was negative. Which I'm totally fine with
Meredyth -I was eager to know Are you and DH TTC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl View Post
I am still on the fence about whether or not to try for another in a year or 2. If I knew it would be easy I would do it in a heartbeat. But...with the ectopic and 2 m/c's of the past...I just don't know if I want the stress or heartache.
Cheryl - I know I want more than one child but I already dread the thought of the worry involved with being pregnant again. I had an easy pregnancy with the exception of the stress and worry.

#21 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

How awesome that we all have these little butterballs Elias is 16 lbs now and in 9-12, but his legs haven't caught up so some pants dangle off him, but he's just so cute He's doing the watch everyone intently when we eat thing also. I don't plan on doing solids for a while, but he looks like he's ready for a big steak dinner

Cheryl I wish there were guarantees with pg. I would've been thrilled if it were positive, but I would be back in the same worry boat. I feel awful for writing this, but in a way I feel relief that test was negative I'm just going to wait and see when AF decides to show and go from there.

DH just called me and said he was looking at a new minivan for me. It's been so strange not having a car! I'm just concerned about taking on a payment with me not working, but I do have my whopper of unemployment to help Oh well, gotta love tax refund time!

#22 of 97 Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Nicole- I had the same 'waiting for the ball to drop' feeling too. It's just now starting to go away. Have fun skiing this weekend!

meredyth- Wow, new minivan! I'll be sure to send your dh some 'get a deal' vibes.

Me- Getting back into the non-holiday swing of things. Although I did get a pkg today sent from my Aunt in St. Louis. It was sent Dec 22 and had Christmas presents inside! It was marked all up and looked like it had traveled the world.

Hey look, more new ones! These are so accurate for me right now. I just picked up 2 boxes of unopened Mothers Milk tea from someone on freecycle today. I am in love with freecycle.

#23 of 97 Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 AM

Hi everyone! So good to see all these updates! i still think about everyone and our pregnancies together, I just don't chat as much as I used to. Hmm, can't imagine why? LOL

You can add Ella in the butterball bunch! She just turned 5 mo old and is stretching the limits on her 6-9 mo clothing. Last time she was weighed (a month ago) she was 16 lbs, 25 1/2" long. My hefty girl! I love that she has gotten so big and healthy on momma milk and not a drop of anything else. We won't start solids until she is sitting independently.

Rachel, I am sorry to hear that Quinn is such a distracted nurser for you. It is definitely a common stage as babies get older and more aware of the environment around them. Don't give up, just offer when you are together as much as you can. Let him snack if he wants to, or try taking him in a quiet dim room for long nursing sessions. If he is eating a lot of solids, you might want to cut back and let him get most of his calories from BM. Solids the first year should just be for exploring.

Does anyone else follow Kati's blog still? I miss chatting with her, so I read it and enjoy watching Marion grow. I wonder why she isn't on mothering anymore.

Oh, I finally added photos of Ella to my family slideshow in my siggie today. LOL, about time! I am also in the "I love girly stuff" camp. It's so fun diapering her, dressing her and daydreaming about her. My mom gave her a doll for Christmas and I am just giddy about the idea of playing dolls in the future!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#24 of 97 Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 AM

Deborah, Ella is sooooo cute. I love the tooth post on your blog. And that poem on there brought tears to my eyes.

Okay, I have to post this because it is making me sad. I talked to a friend I haven't talked to in a while yesterday. She told me her BIL and his wife just had a stillborn baby after Christmas. Then today I find out someone in my dh's dept at school had a stillborn baby too. Just makes me sad to see it happen to anyone.

#25 of 97 Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecaut View Post
I just picked up 2 boxes of unopened Mothers Milk tea from someone on freecycle today.
Amy - Do you think the Mother's Milk helps your milk at all? I drank 3-4 cups a day for several weeks and didn't notice a difference. I like the taste so I still drink it but not as many cups a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySunflowerBoys View Post
Rachel, I am sorry to hear that Quinn is such a distracted nurser for you. It is definitely a common stage as babies get older and more aware of the environment around them. Don't give up, just offer when you are together as much as you can. Let him snack if he wants to, or try taking him in a quiet dim room for long nursing sessions. If he is eating a lot of solids, you might want to cut back and let him get most of his calories from BM. Solids the first year should just be for exploring.

Does anyone else follow Kati's blog still? I miss chatting with her, so I read it and enjoy watching Marion grow. I wonder why she isn't on mothering anymore.
Deborah - Ella is too cute! I couldn't make the videos work here at work but I could see the beginning picture. I will have to try at home. Quinn would rather drink his BM from a bottle because the bottle can move with his head. I can get him to nurse well first thing in the morning because after sleeping all night he is starving. He definitely still gets most of his calories from milk but he would rather eat solids. After he is done with his bowl of cereal and fruit he keeps his mouth open like a little bird and fusses so he is obviously still hungry. He then gets a bottle and will sometimes refuse it. I am not giving up breastfeeding yet by no means. My goal is for him to have BM until he is a year old. I do keep up with Kati's blog too. I wonder too why she doesn't stop in to visit?

#26 of 97 Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM

rachel...I'm so sorry you've had trouble with the nursing. A good friend of mine tried everything in the book and still had to supplement. Okay, since this is a friendly place for me, I'll admit when ever my milk feels a little low, I have a beer. It really works for me, I fill up right away. And hey, I'll do that I've gotta do.

Deborah...so good to hear from you. Ella is a cutie. I wanted to share a lesson I had about two years ago. It involves a person with special needs, so I thought you might find it insteresting. A family watches my son (and now daughter) Really it's a woman around my age, but she lives with her folks and they treat my kids like family. She watched Aiden for the first time when Aiden was only 9 months. She's a really nice person and one would not guess all of her disabilities talking to her, but she can't tell time and has learning issues. Well the whole time Aiden was being watched the first time I wondered if she was qualified to handle him. When I picked him up he looked happy and a few hours later I had to change his diapers. I noticed he had a homemade diaper thing on put together with tied cloth napkins. It worked fine. I looked in the diaper bag I dropped him off with and there were no diapers. So while I was wondering if she was qualified, I was the one forgot to pack his diapers. Later when I mentioned the mistake I made she said she didn't say anything because she didn't want me to be embarrassed. Having her watch watch my kids has been the greatest gift, she shows so much love and plays with them all the time. Sorry this is so long, I wanted to share how having someone special in my life has been so wonderful.
#27 of 97 Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
Amy - Do you think the Mother's Milk helps your milk at all? I drank 3-4 cups a day for several weeks and didn't notice a difference. I like the taste so I still drink it but not as many cups a day.
I have no idea if it helps at all. This will be my first time trying it. I don't really have any supply issues but since it was freecycle and no one else was claiming it.... I figured, 'I'm breastfeeding and it's tea for breastfeeding'! I count myself super-lucky that my body has kept up with Ambrose's demands. I like Christine's beer idea. I've heard of that too. It's funny because with Athena I was so paranoid about what I took in while breastfeeding. And now, not so much. I had wine over Christmas. I drink caffeine sometimes.

Quote:
Deborah...so good to hear from you. Ella is a cutie. I wanted to share a lesson I had about two years ago. It involves a person with special needs, so I thought you might find it insteresting. A family watches my son (and now daughter) Really it's a woman around my age, but she lives with her folks and they treat my kids like family. She watched Aiden for the first time when Aiden was only 9 months. She's a really nice person and one would not guess all of her disabilities talking to her, but she can't tell time and has learning issues. Well the whole time Aiden was being watched the first time I wondered if she was qualified to handle him. When I picked him up he looked happy and a few hours later I had to change his diapers. I noticed he had a homemade diaper thing on put together with tied cloth napkins. It worked fine. I looked in the diaper bag I dropped him off with and there were no diapers. So while I was wondering if she was qualified, I was the one forgot to pack his diapers. Later when I mentioned the mistake I made she said she didn't say anything because she didn't want me to be embarrassed. Having her watch watch my kids has been the greatest gift, she shows so much love and plays with them all the time. Sorry this is so long, I wanted to share how having someone special in my life has been so wonderful.
I love this story, Christine. It is so sweet. That cloth napkin trick just might come in handy some day! Never would have even thought of that.

I never bookmarked Kati's blog. If I wasn't so darn lazy I'd go searching for old posts and find it.

#28 of 97 Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Hi, Everyone!!

Oh, Amy - such sad news. Whenever I hear or read about a loss, I just get that "kicked in the gut" feeling. NO ONE should ever have to go through it.
I wish them comfort and peace in their grief journeys.

Hey, I DID bookmark it: josh-kati.com is their blog site.

It's so good to see familiar faces on here. I am not on as often as
I used to be . . . but you all are in my thoughts.

Christine, what a beautiful and inspiring story about your sitter. It totally made me smile inside. Thanks for sharing.

(((Meredyth)))
Oooohhh - a new minivan!! Exciting!
I had to spring for a new (used) one in October . . .
ended up with a Mercury, a little older than I wanted, but with low miles
and the previous owner had gotten all the options. We like it/her so far;
(The kids named her "Rosie" - not quite sure why, because she's green.)

Rachel, I had a tough time nursing my oldest and ended up bottle feeding, which I wasn't real happy with at the time, but in hindsight, it was fine.
(I had little luck with pumping.) Each of my babes has been so different
with nursing. FWIW, my 2nd, my son Henry, was a champ and nursed
until he was about 26 months.

Deborah, what a beautiful family slideshow!! Ella is adorable!

My little folks are all happy and healthy. Here is a photo of them at
Christmastime:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...dH12-24-08.jpg

And here is Will this morning; he also is a chunky little monkey - and just
sooo happy and cheerful almost all the time!!
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...ill-1-8-09.jpg
Maybe all Rainbows are just happy, happy kids. :

Em, married to J, Mama to K-17, H-14, S-8, her twin m/c @ 9 wks, my beautiful J.T. born still @ 38 wks due to an UCA 6-14-07 & Will born 5-7-08 - & Teddy 6-16-11 !!
#29 of 97 Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Christine- what a great story! Your sitter sounds very clever! Thanks for sharing that with me. Sometimes I find it hard to imagine Sean safe at home alone, let alone watching over a baby. Time will tell.

Thanks for the compliments about E. She is sitting in my lap, batting at my face as I try to type!

BWGirl- Will is sooo cute! What a smile!

We have a Mercury Monterey van with all the bells and whistles- bought used. I love it!

I hope Kati's ears are burning and she pops in!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#30 of 97 Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Deborah Awwww, your babies are sooooo adorable!!! My Jacob's middle name is Riley also That poem was beautiful, straight from the heart Your blog was cracking me up! I want to start one, but haven't found the time...

Em I'm always so happy to see you... it means we get new pics of your gorgeous kids Will has a smile that just lights up the room!! How are you doing?

Rachel I had trouble nursing Jacob. In fact, it didn't go well at all for me so I gave up. With Liam I was determined and it went very well. Elias had a preference to my right side, so I pumped the left to keep up. Then it all just clicked. I guess with my rant I meant to say that the first seems to be tricky, and I wish I would've known just how hard nursing was going to be!

Amy I'm so sorry that you've had such sad news

Christine That story was so sweet!!!

Still no word from our friends and I'm so scared that the baby hasn't made it My MIL told me she's called them twice a day for the past 2 days and hasn't heard back. We're giving them time and I know we'll hear one way or the other; I'm just hoping beyond hope that he'll be okay.

My SIL had her big u/s and she's having another girl. I'm excited to throw her a baby shower in about 2 months. Yet more pink stuff to be around... kind of like always a bridesmaid, never a bride
Maybe someday I'll get to buy pink & purple, but I do love boys and am used to their, uh, zeal for all things manly

ETA: The minivan - gosh I should've said used! We just can't afford new right now. If we could, I'd be all over a Nissan Quest!!! There seems to be an abundance of used Caravans and Town & Country vans here. But whatever we end up with, it will be new to me and I'm thrilled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page