If you had a natural m/c and a natural birth ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If there's anyone who doesn't mind--I'm curious whether labor felt anything like the m/c. Thanks.
#2 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM

My first m/c was quite early, so it definately wasn't like labor, but, I did have cramping that came rythmically and was MUCH MUCH MUCH more painful than period cramps. It was shortly after my LO and the placenta were born that the cramping eased and became just a mild ache.

MUCH more pain involved with labor for me.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#3 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM

My natural m/c was 14.5 weeks, and based on the fact that the baby came out intact in his sack (which was about the size of a grapefruit--baby was 4") I know I dialated at least a bit.
The honest truth is that with my m/c I did not know what was going on. It was my first pregnancy. I'd had a tiny bit of spotting that morning, but thought it was because of sex the night before...I called midwife and she agreed that was likely. I thought I had bad gas honestly...it felt intestinal, not cervical, if that makes sense. It was high, and did not feel anything like the few menstrual cramps I'd ever had. It sortof came and went for about a day, but when it finally really hit (the last half hour before the baby came) I was in a heap on the floor in too much pain to get up.

When I finally had my son nearly 3 years later, I had been really worried that it would be horrible pain like that...and it was not. It was hard and it was work, but I never really felt like it was pain--certainly not the crying or curled in a ball kind of pain I had with my miscarriage. Full-term labor was a lot longer, and a lot more intense, but it was different for a couple of reasons.
1--I knew what was going on. I knew that I was in labor and that my body was working to push the baby out. With my m/c I didn't fully realize what was happening until the blood started gushing.
2--with labor, I knew that something good (a baby) was coming at the end of it. I could focus on the goal, you know? At 14wks along, whether it's indigestion or random cramping or a miscarriage, it's not going to give you a baby to hold...it's the negative "something-is-wrong" kind of pain, not the productive working-toward-something kind of pain.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#4 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 PM

I found labor more tolerable than my m/c. I m/c a blighted ovum at 20 weeks. The pain was horrendous- like the worst of labor without any breaks.

-Angela
#5 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 01:34 AM

No, not at all. I m/ced at 10 weeks, and it was mildly physically painful, more like heavy cramps. Nothing I had to try to breathe through, nothing close to the pain I had in labor. I did a cervical check and I was dilated and my cervix was pretty soft, in fact, that's how I knew what was really happening. Up until then, I was kind of in denial.

Mommy to kids

#6 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 AM

NO, but my m/c was very early so it wasn't like labor at all.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#7 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 AM

If you want a natural birth I can recommend hypnobabies. I felt so relaxed and enjoyed my labour. I was 3 weeks early so didn't have as long as I'd hoped to practice some bits, but it did work, at the end I wanted a bit of gas and air but I'm notentirely sure it did anything.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks--this is good to know, even if it seems like it's still completely unpredictable. For me, my parts of the m/c were painful enough that I can't help but hope that labor won't be too much more intense (except for, you know, fitting a full term baby out). I too had the intense pain with no breaks--just lay there curled up unable to move for an hour kind of situation. And that's the part I'm really hoping it's not going to be much worse than--at least I know I can survive that, even with no real plan for coping with pain.
#9 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM

I had a m/c at 12 weeks and the cadence was similar to the labor stages.
Cramping and contractions for the early part, a really intense part that ends in passing the placenta, and an after recovery part.

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#10 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quate View Post
Thanks--this is good to know, even if it seems like it's still completely unpredictable. For me, my parts of the m/c were painful enough that I can't help but hope that labor won't be too much more intense (except for, you know, fitting a full term baby out). I too had the intense pain with no breaks--just lay there curled up unable to move for an hour kind of situation. And that's the part I'm really hoping it's not going to be much worse than--at least I know I can survive that, even with no real plan for coping with pain.
Hmm. That sounds lots different than labor, at least for me. Labor for me, at least the painful part, was very hard contractions that came in a wave, and then abetted briefly to give me a break. That's what makes it bearable, I think. The pain peaks and valleys, IYKWIM. My m/c was more like continuous cramping, like a very painful period. It just kept hurting without remittance, though it never hurt anywhere near what labor pains hurt like, to be perfectly honest.

Mommy to kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page