Reason to be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took a pregnancy test this morning. No particular reason why, except maybe relief/worry that my constant nausea has started to abate already. Anyway, I happened to have an extra test in the closet, so I just did. The line indicating pregnancy was obviously positive, but not a dark pink. It was much lighter than the test bar. And certainly lighter than my positive tests from the end of Jan. I should be ten weeks along now. My husband saw the test results and maybe it's bravado, but he thinks I'm overreacting since there WAS a line, however faint.

I had a first-tri m/c last fall, and I think it can be very hard to relax about this issue once you realize you are not immune to such losses. So needless to say, I'm pretty worried. My OB can't see me until the end of this month, over two weeks away. He won't order me an ultrasound until he's seen me for the first visit. We have a family vacation planned next week and I just don't think I'll be able to enjoy it for a minute if I am worried about the viability of this pregnancy. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?? Do I try to find another provider just to check this out (if that's even possible to accomplish in the next week)? 

I called the OB's office this afternoon explained my situation to the receptionist to see if they could squeeze me in just to check my hormones or something. She was supposed to send a message to my OB and call back. But that was two hours before closing and I never got a response. :(  The more I think about this, the more worried I am. The line is very faint. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so what was the outcome (good or bad)?

(BTW- I am crossposting this here from my DDC October 2012 to try to get a wider range of experiences...I hope that's okay)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM

I really have no idea if it means anything or not.  I can understand not being able to relax until you know one way or the other though.  If I were you, I would call my provider first thing in the morning and tell them that I was very worried, remind them of my loss, and ask to come in right away for an ultrasound.  If they would not agree to that, I would probably go the ER, and then find another provider for long term.  I am a worrier, but that's what I would do.

I'm really sorry that you're worried, and I hope that you find out asap that everything is just fine!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#3 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Chrissy. I will be calling them back in the morning and hopefully they will get me in. I was really disappointed to not get a response this afternoon. Makes me want to switch to my midwife...but even if I did, this would still be my backup doc. He's the only one in town that provides backup for the midwives, so I do respect him for that. Plus, he delivered my last son by c/s and did a fine job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post

I really have no idea if it means anything or not.  I can understand not being able to relax until you know one way or the other though.  If I were you, I would call my provider first thing in the morning and tell them that I was very worried, remind them of my loss, and ask to come in right away for an ultrasound.  If they would not agree to that, I would probably go the ER, and then find another provider for long term.  I am a worrier, but that's what I would do.

I'm really sorry that you're worried, and I hope that you find out asap that everything is just fine!

#4 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM

I have no idea either, but I can understand why you're uneasy. I would definitely call in first thing in the morning. They should understand why you would be nervous and be willing to be compassionate. I pray you can get some sleep tonight and some answers tomorrow. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#5 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so frustrated. I called this morning and was told that he'd ordered a blood test for me, which is better than nothing, but I really wanted something more substantial like an u/s or fetal doppler to see if we can hear the heartbeat. I think at ten weeks the HCG levels are going to probably be declining anyway and I just don't see how useful this alone will be. The dr is off today so apparently this is all I can get right now. I am going to keep at it regardless of the HCG tests, because I don't think this alone will put my mind at ease regardless of the results. I will be going to the hospital today for the blood draw. So irritated that I'll be right there but still won't be able to just get a darn ultrasound!

#6 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM

The test may just be faulty and not have a lot of dye on that one line or something?  It's possible anyway.  Don't take that too hard, though as someone who has gone through multiple miscarriages, I understand your concern.  ANYTHING that might make you question viability is so so scary, even if it is something small like this, that may really mean nothing.  

I would definitely be calling another Dr.  You can always switch back later if you want to, but you're obviously not getting the care you really want and feel you need right now.  I also support going to the ER.  If you have to, lie and tell them you've been feeling some cramping and just want to make sure everything is OK.  Most likely they will give you an ultrasound or use the doppler.  When we were in the military they used to tell us that they refused to handle anything in office except typical pregnancy appointments, and if we had ANY problems to go to the ER. Terrible policy, but it is good at least to have a backup.  (((HUGS))) I hope you can get some reassurance soon!!

#7 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you GreenMama. I am a glutton for punishment and actually bought another pack of preg tests at CVS today just to see if I get a similar result tomorrow. Maybe I should just go to the ER. After all this stress, the cramping wouldn't be a far stretch of a lie. I planned to avoid it like the plague after I went there during my M/C and it was a plain awful experience all around, but of course I was in a lot of physical and emotional anguish at the time.

I was finally able to get to the lab at the hospital today around 2:30 and had my blood drawn. The tech told me, since it was requested as "STAT," that they'd be able to have the results within 30 minutes to an hour for my doctor. Great, right? So as I was leaving, I called my doctor's office to see how late they were open, because by now it was about 3pm and I vaguely remembered that their office hours are shortened mid-week. I just wanted to know if I'd get a call this afternoon about my levels.

I was told the doctor wasn't in again today so I wouldn't be getting a call, and after a bit of probing, I finally discovered that he's on vacation until Mon (3-19)! I wasn't given any clear indication on whether I'd even get a call on my results before then. I can only wonder why they requested it STAT in these circumstances, and why this bit of information wasn't openly relayed to me.  I am utterly confused....

I think I need to start asking around for another VBAC friendly doc in town.

#8 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 PM

You know, I think these dr offices get so hardened to these things that they literally look at it like it is nothing half the time. Try try try not to take it personally, but I know it is nearly impossible wih things like this. Can the nurse practitioner let you know the results? Did you take the other tests?

Please call a new dr tomorrow and see if they can get you in ASAP, if for no other reason than to ease the mind of a pregnant woman who needs to not be stressed at all, especially over something that could so easily be reassured by a simple test.

Do you have a planned parenthood or a pregnancy crisis center where you are? Here our crisis center does free ultrasounds for those who haven't had a dr appt and are past 6 weeks.
#9 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 PM

With a history of loss your doc should definitely see you before 12 weeks--that's when it sounds like your appt is?  I would look for another provider if they don't recognize that this is important to your mental health and wellbeing. Even w/o a history of loss a lot of doctors like to do a dating u/s well before 12 weeks. 

Hope things are ok & you can get answers soon.

#10 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Just got a call from the office. My levels are 124,033, and she said I should be 7-8 weeks along. I was getting this info second hand and couldn't determine if the doctor meant 7-8 weeks from date of conception or LMP. If conception, then that should be closer to target. Either way, I think the numbers look good. According to this, they could fall in the normal range anywhere from 7-8 weeks on up to 24 weeks. I still requested an ultrasound though, and she's supposed to pass this request along to the on-call doctor and let me know soon. Depending on that, I will determine if I need to go to ER or PP. Feeling better though...

#11 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 AM

I'm glad you're feeling better!!  Take some deep breaths mama, and keep us posted.  Rest as much as you can.  ((((HUGS))))!!

The bonus is that with those kinds of HCG numbers, the pee test should have been a dark line for sure.  

#12 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I got in for an ultrasound this morning. Everything looks good -  hooray! The heartbeat was 160 and the lil' guy (gal?) even waved at us. :) 

#13 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 11:41 AM

AWWW!  YAY!!!  That has to be the best feeling ever. :)  Congratulations mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page