Parents of Constipated/Bowel issues kids tribe - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 231 Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
man, I'm so annoyed. We ended up in the hospital this past friday. Linden had really severe GI pain and then his stoama started gushing blood. Anyhow, they said they thought the pain was just from constipation so they kept us and did a clean out while they could keep him on a d10 IV. They also changed his formula to peptamen jr. Well Sunday (Saturday was clean out day) and Monday were awesome. He didn't have near as much pain as usual. He was happy, energetic, didn't wake constantly. It was amazing. But yesterday (tuesday) we went back to normal grouchy agitated mess. Last night and the night before he woke up constantly again. And yesterday his stoma oozed junk and blood. At least this time it wasn't a gush, but an ooze.

So I don't think that it can totally be the constipation cause I don't think he could have built it back up that fast.

We were supposed to see our GI in two weeks per the discharge orders. Well they're so over booked that they're just going to leave our appointment as the one in late may. So two more months of no sleep, screaming in pain, and bleeding stoma. I wish it had been our GI on call this past weekend, she owuld have gotten down to the bottom of it. I just feel so dadgum desperate having to wait two months.
#212 of 231 Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
Just wanted to thank you for the book rec. I have it on hold at the library. Thanks!

Amy
You're welcome! I hope it's helpful to you. Please come back and post updates.

#213 of 231 Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM

((hugs)) everybody. We're still tinkering with Gentle Move. It works and then it seems to get nearly too soft and he withholds. But then if I don't give it, he gets too hard. I think I'm going to try Gentle Move 2 or 3 days and then a stimulant laxative the next day to push it on through (senna or look into this other rec that the herbalist gave me)... He had a poopy diaper this morning when we woke up, but he was holding on to alot more, and then he didn't want to eat and would grunt while I tried to feed him. I really think he just lacks tone in his lower bowel and has to have something to push it through. I really want to get away from manual methods of elimination, cause I'm afraid that's making the tone thing worse...
#214 of 231 Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM

hey there. Im gonna go ahead and join this tribe. My 2yo dd has bowel issues, she cycles from having diarrhea to being constipated and xrays have even shown her to have impaction. Shes been on laxatives and enulose and supplements that aid digestion. They seem to work for a while but it just goes right back to the same thing. Tuesday I am once again telling the pedi about my concerns and asking for a GI consult.
#215 of 231 Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
BBW

I don't have an answer for you but a question myself. My son has had bowel issues his whole life, but has not been diagnosed with anything. He has to go but is holding it in. This just started again after a half year of success and pride in pooping. He is 4 1/2. Any suggestions on how to proceed? A therapist/ Hypnosis? A healer?
#216 of 231 Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Our 8 year old was withholding again after our newest baby and 1 twin stopped using the toilet. I was annoyed and frustrated and mad.

Then a friend of mine suggested going back to poop treats. . . AND IT WORKED FOR BOTH OF THEM!! It seems my kids will do anything for 10 chocolate chips

I was also slipping prunes into my 8 year olds breakfast and that helped with him feeling the urge better. Good luck BBW.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#217 of 231 Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but does anyone else see a corelation between your child being hyper and "not themselvs" and being constipated?

Yesterday dd was just a perfect angel, got up at 6am, took a great nap, and was having a blast, untill that evening and she tried to go to the bathroom and nothing happend.....after that she was like a wilkd animal! Screaming, hitting, i swear she talked and sang for 3 hours strait, and wouldnt go to sleep untill 11pm!

Anyone have any advice or similar experince?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#218 of 231 Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Maybe this has already been mentioned, but does anyone else see a corelation between your child being hyper and "not themselvs" and being constipated?

Yesterday dd was just a perfect angel, got up at 6am, took a great nap, and was having a blast, untill that evening and she tried to go to the bathroom and nothing happend.....after that she was like a wilkd animal! Screaming, hitting, i swear she talked and sang for 3 hours strait, and wouldnt go to sleep untill 11pm!

Anyone have any advice or similar experince?
Totally. My advice is the GAPS diet, and lots of potty sits when the problem looms. We also talk a lot about listening to your body. When she starts acting up, I ask about whether she is hungry, tired, needs to pee.
Quote:
None of those? Does your tummy hurt? Is it telling you to poop? Maybe we should try to get the poop out now, because it will only hurt more if you hold it in. Would you like to sit on your teddy bear potty (BBLP) and watch some cartoons? Would you like me to put somet lotion (un-petroleum jelly) on your bottom so it doesn't hurt?
Those are my best suggestions.

#219 of 231 Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Totally. My advice is the GAPS diet, and lots of potty sits when the problem looms. We also talk a lot about listening to your body. When she starts acting up, I ask about whether she is hungry, tired, needs to pee.

Those are my best suggestions.
those are great ideas!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#220 of 231 Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

We have been doing pretty good with the bowel program. Every now and then we will have break through accidents during the day. But then we will go a couple of weeks and no poop accidents.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#221 of 231 Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Bump

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#222 of 231 Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM

hey, hopefully we won't qualify for this thread any more after the cecostomy.
#223 of 231 Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post

#224 of 231 Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post
one club you won't mind getting kicked out of huh?!

Lizzie has really been having a hard time since we took her off the antibiotics. I think they were acting as a laxative all this time, and without them she's having a lot of trouble going. We were getting by just using the Miralax a few times a week, but looks like we will be moving back to a daily dose.

How's everybody else doing?
#225 of 231 Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM

*bumping for a friend having trouble with her little girl.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#226 of 231 Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

We are still doing our same routine. No changes.

#227 of 231 Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM

We've put off doing the cecostomy about a million times but regular enemas are not longer working much (he can withold them like none other). So we've made the appt. and ironically the surgery will probably be about a year after my last post to this thread.
I'm just ready to have it done, I'm so tired of crappy bowels (pun intended).
#228 of 231 Old 06-29-2013, 03:02 PM

My daughter has suffered from chronic constipation her whole life :( She is 5 and we have tried everything under the sun to help her but nothing worked. I finally found green smoothies with flaxseed oil, acidophilus, and aloe juice to be the miracle for her. I started a blog to help other moms with recipes and suggestions http://homemomsandhealth.blogspot.com/. With one green smoothie a day with the right ingredients she has began to potty up to 3 times a week with much less pain and straining :) I will keep updated recipes and info on my blog for other struggling mommies :) Hope this helps.

#229 of 231 Old 06-29-2013, 03:06 PM

my daughter has suffered tremendously from this. Try mixing 40% greens to 60% fruit in a smoothie with flax seed oil, asidophilus, and aloe juice it has really helped my little one. I have recipes on http://homemomsandhealth.blogspot.com/ that has worked for my 5 year old. She is very picky as well but asks me to make these for her :)

#230 of 231 Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Be very careful with her sugar intake things like capri suns can aggravate the problem. We started using sugar free liquid water flavors and they help. Also I have green smoothie recipes on my blog http://homemomsandhealth.blogspot.com/. These have made a tremendous difference for my daughter. She is 5 and picky but asks for these daily. Hope this helps

#231 of 231 Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Is anyone still here? I just found this and need to read through it all, but we are having some strange issues with our  nearly-two-year-old that I am hoping to get some insight on... The GI doc didn't help much :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page