Parents of Constipated/Bowel issues kids tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I need support. I believe we have some other Mamas here with kids with chronic constipation. So I am making an attempt to start a support tribe.

:

As you may or may not know my daughter has a neurogenic bowel. I need help.

I am going to our local community natural foods store today after I drop my son off at pre-k. What high fiber foods/ingredients should I be looking at?

Second question - how much fiber should a almost 3 year old have?

Third - She is also super skinny. I need to help her gain weight, yet avoid constipating foods. Suggestions?

Anyone care to join me?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM

i'll join you. seems like we are back here with marvel. she has been super picky about what drinks she will drink (used to drink a green smoothie / kefir mix every day) and it is definately causing her some issues again. plus she is not nursing anymore .

it's so unreliable what she will and will not eat. for right now she eats lots of barilla plus pasta which is high in fiber and protein so that is helping get her through the day. i've also been making alot of pumpkin stuff cause (i've been told) pumpkin is a natural laxative. yesterday we had a real struggle with her pooping. when she finally did it obviously hurt badly and she was mad at me about it and shouting 'no!'.

right now we're depending mostly on commercial products that are high in fiber (like fiber 1 bars and boxed cereals) but would love some more ideas.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#3 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM

What is a neurogenic bowel? I've heard this term, but don't really know what it is. Juju gets 1/2 a capful of Miralax daily. As long as he gets that he goes. If it is at all formed up - even a little bit - it bothers him. We give him flax oil, fish oil, fruits, veggies and grains, but those don't keep it soft enough for him. He likes his stool loose. Don't really have any advice to add, sorry.
#4 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Us! I need ideas for nonconstipating finger foods. DS is starting to refuse purees. I know to avoid white flour and dairy (I do give him a little cheese and yogurt), but I'm a little stuck for ideas and not quite clear on what other foods to avoid. I have been wanting to get some high fiber pasta.

We are so far avoiding Miralax through our daily routine of apple juice, prune puree, and whole wheat bread with tons of flax (I make this in the bread machine). However, it's touch and go from day to day. If he gets too backed up, he starts vomiting, but we've gone a month without that with the help of the new routine.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#5 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I went to the Merc today. Got Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal. Now what?

:

Here is Bob's Red Mill site for recipes;

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
What is a neurogenic bowel? I've heard this term, but don't really know what it is. Juju gets 1/2 a capful of Miralax daily. As long as he gets that he goes. If it is at all formed up - even a little bit - it bothers him. We give him flax oil, fish oil, fruits, veggies and grains, but those don't keep it soft enough for him. He likes his stool loose. Don't really have any advice to add, sorry.
Here is the definition of Neurogenic Bowel:

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/s...y/glossary.htm

Quote:
Neurogenic bowel
A loss of bowel function caused by damage to the nerves that control the ability to eliminate stool from the body
Here is a great link on Bowel Continence.

http://www.asbha.org.au/BowelContinence.htm

#7 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
i'll join you. seems like we are back here with marvel. she has been super picky about what drinks she will drink (used to drink a green smoothie / kefir mix every day) and it is definately causing her some issues again. plus she is not nursing anymore .

it's so unreliable what she will and will not eat. for right now she eats lots of barilla plus pasta which is high in fiber and protein so that is helping get her through the day. i've also been making alot of pumpkin stuff cause (i've been told) pumpkin is a natural laxative. yesterday we had a real struggle with her pooping. when she finally did it obviously hurt badly and she was mad at me about it and shouting 'no!'.

right now we're depending mostly on commercial products that are high in fiber (like fiber 1 bars and boxed cereals) but would love some more ideas.
Is she getting enough liquid? I know the hospital told me to be careful about increasing fiber and not enough liquid. That would stop her up even more.

#8 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 PM

kat - pancakes might be a good idea to make with it. we have multigrain pancake mix that is (i believe) red mill brand. blueberry or strawberry pancakes are often a hit here.

#9 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM

nak, add me! Lots of issues here and I'm starting to suspect possible motility issues due to infant reflux.

Strawberries. grapes and dried cranberries are big hits here. More when hands free .

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#10 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM

she drinks ALOT of water. all day long. she plays with water and drinks it for a big chunk or her day. she is peeing in a little potty right now so we can pretty pretty good tabs on how hydrated she is. she used to drink other stuff besides water though (plum juice, veggie/fruit smoothies, kefir) but now she will drink water, capri sun, or this pink v-8 "smoothie" stuff - blech.

#11 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Count me in! So far Lizzie is doing much better with the high fiber diet. We're still having to use Miralax some, but not everyday.

As for fingerfoods, Lizzie loves dried peas, she eats them like candy. We also get the dried fruits (mostly apricots, berries and raisins).

We also eat tons of potatoes (it's our family's largest farm crop ) so I try to find ways to leave the skins on. I also tried switching to the whole wheat pasta, but the family was none to happy about it. I'm doing 1/2 and 1/2 now, so it's less noticeable.
#12 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 PM

Our issue has less to do with constipation and more to do with stool with holding. I never could have imagined what an all consuming, mind numbingly frustrating, ordeal this could be. When Kieran won't poop, no one is happy, least of all him. He has always had trouble even as an EBF baby. I was told it was normal and he was healthy and fine. We both became very ill last year, all he'd eat were crackers and juice and BM and he got constipated. It hurt him to go so he started holding it for days and freaking out when he couldn't hold it anymore.

He was on Miralax straight for 4 months (after trying stool softeners, fibre supplements, high fibre diet etc) and right now I'm trying to find a balance only occasionally using the miralax and balancing that out with a high fibre diet and Benefibre supplementation. Unless the stool is really, really soft, he freaks out and holds it.

I don't know really what else to do at this point.

THe only piece of advice I have is that GPs don't seem to know a lot about this. I had to fight pretty aggressively to be sent to a ped gastro. It was a turning point for him, but I have a lot of guilt that I let my self be led around so long before insisting.

#13 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM

I'm here with you all. Can't post much now, but, I'll be back.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#14 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...ecipes/RE00099

#15 of 231 Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...-foods/NU00582

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutriti...ion/fiber.html

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/FOODNUT/09333.html

http://www.cecostomy.4t.com/custom2.html

#16 of 231 Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 AM

You can put flax meal in all kinds of stuff by substituting it for oil in recipes. You substitute 3 parts flaxmeal for 1 part oil. For example I made banana bread tonight (ok not good for bowel issues, but I have the recipe in my head right now) and the original recipe called for 3 tbsp of oil. I use 1 tbsp oil and 6 tbsp flax meal as a sub for the other two tbsp of oil. It's very yummy if I do say so myself. I've even subbed it into chocolate chip cookies (although I don't think I would give them out to anyone else I think they taste pretty good).

If she eats cereal you can sprinkle some flax meal on top or on salads (LoL as if Charlotte would eat a salad).

make sure to keep the flaxmeal in the fridge. It stays good for a long time that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Okay, I went to the Merc today. Got Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal. Now what?

:

Here is Bob's Red Mill site for recipes;

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php
#17 of 231 Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 AM

Oh, I have an awesome recipe for flax seed cookies somewhere. I'll dig it up and post it if anyone is interested. It calls for something like 2/3 c flax seed, but I usually sub 1/3 of that for flax meal.

#18 of 231 Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I need ideas on replacing her animal crackers and pretzels. I need snack ideas.

#19 of 231 Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a great fact sheet on Bowel Continence as it relates to Spina Bifida:

#20 of 231 Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I need ideas on replacing her animal crackers and pretzels. I need snack ideas.
yeah, us too. i'm gonna start adding more dried fruit. she is not eating nearly as much fruit here in tx as she was in ca. there were days in ca where her poop smelled like strawberry jam .

when we were doing weight watchers last year we found alot of good high fiber recipes. all of our pancake/muffin/bread recipes are from then. they are usually really low calorie and really low fat though so i get nervous watching her fill up on them. she's doing well right now, but in the past she's been able to go from chunky to super skinny in a few weeks.

#21 of 231 Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM

This is such a miserable experience! My oldest has these issues and we fought the good fight with tons of fiber, liquids, prunes, etc.

Finally, we resorted to meds. After a full year on Miralax, he finally healed and/or forgot to hold it and he is going mostly on his own. He is 8. I WISH I had put him on Miralax at 2!!!!! I thought I could fix it naturally. . . . not. The amount of fighting, pain, frustration, laundry, etc. was just beyond belief for someone not in this!

SO s to all of you in this!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#22 of 231 Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 AM

I'm here for support!

DS had a horrid time with his bowels from about 6+ months to until maybe 1/1.5 years ago. I know how awful, painful, sad, messy it is to deal with, Sometimes feeling so helpless. GI visists, milk/molasses enemas, x-rays, endless appointments. Oh, it was so awful for quite a while.

Let's see, we were BIG on green veggies, tons and tons of water, ground flax seed on everything (from yogurt to oatmeal), mineral oil. Beans are very high in fiber, as is bran.

So much didn't work, but those worked pretty well for us.

About the gaining weight, is this an issue? Our DS is super-tiny too, it was a big issue years ago too. Avocado is perfect - high fats and oils (albeit good ones) and really high in fiber (maybe black beans and guac wrapped in a corn tortilla?). Berry smoothies?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#23 of 231 Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Subbing to this thread.

Don't have a whole lot of time to write now but it's my 3 year old son who has the issues with constipation. When he was a baby it would alternate between constipation and diarrhea. Since he was 1 we have dealt mostly with constipation. Past 3 days he has sat on the potty at LEAST 10 times a day saying he needs to poop but all that comes out is a tiny bit of runny poop. *sigh* I think we need to go back to a dairy, egg, wheat free diet (it helped before) but I can barely afford to buy groceries as it is.....the whole dairy/egg/wheat free thing just makes it 1000 times worse.

Wil write more later.
#24 of 231 Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Angela,

You can have diarrhea and still be constipated.

#25 of 231 Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Angela,

You can have diarrhea and still be constipated.
I know. I think he's oozing around a plug. It's happened before.
#26 of 231 Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Same here. Even with Miralax and glycerine enemas.

#27 of 231 Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 AM

i have IBS with consipation and well soo i eat alot of high fiber foods and lots of veggies

well i had my son and he seemed to have my same bowl problems soo i kept him only on breastmilk for a full yr cause everytime i tried solids he would get consipated

soo finially we just keep him on high fiber breads but then he got to be a very picky eater soo i had to add powered fiber to his v8 juice he loves to drink

it is just too sad to see him in soo much pain from trying to poop and the other day it was really bad and it made his butt bleed from trying to poop i just keep adding fiber to him juices and that helps most of the time

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06 and Kareem 8-23-08
#28 of 231 Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 AM

I don't have time to read all the posts or to get into our story right now, but we definitely belong in this tribe.

Only trouble is, I have to say WOW about how everyone is on the high fiber bandwagon! I really truly believe this is the OPPOSITE course of action we should be taking!

I will be back to explain more, but for now, please everyone have a look at www.fibermenace.com and see if your eyes don't bug out of your head.

#29 of 231 Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Here is a great fact sheet on Bowel Continence as it relates to Spina Bifida:

OMG I have never seen anything like this before! DD doesn't have spina bifida, but she has a pilonidal dimple, which I guess is basically the smallest spina bifida-type defect. I have never been told that it could cause or contribute to the constipation issue!! It never even occurred to me!

Now I feel terrible because I am soooo bad at being consistent with the potty-sitting times. I definitely need to do this on a regular basis. Ugh.

Breathe in. Breathe out. We can do this.

OK, per above I am totally convinced that high fiber does nothing but exacerbate this problem (well, it does give the illusion that it helps, but not for long). Chicken soup has been one of the best things I've found so far. And I know I need to give her fatty foods and probiotics, but she's just not cooperating with any supplements or eating any of the foods I want her to.

But this puts a whole new twist in the plot. I'll have to look into it more. Have to go to bed right now.

#30 of 231 Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I don't have time to read all the posts or to get into our story right now, but we definitely belong in this tribe.

Only trouble is, I have to say WOW about how everyone is on the high fiber bandwagon! I really truly believe this is the OPPOSITE course of action we should be taking!

I will be back to explain more, but for now, please everyone have a look at www.fibermenace.com and see if your eyes don't bug out of your head.

I don't think it's a bandwagon, I think it's common sense. Fibre adds bulk and liquid to stool (provided fluid intake is good as well) making it easier to pass. Snacks high in liquid and fibre are healthier than those high in starch and sugar and refined carbohydrates. When my son eats a diet high in fruit, whole grains and non-starchy vegetables, he has less trouble with stool with holding.

It's reasonable to presume that some of the outrageous claims about the health benefits of fibre might be true. WE're not talking about outrageous health claims though. Just simple mechanics.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page