Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your Aspie score: 129 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

(I got a 38 on the other test where over 34 is an extreme score.)

...if that's true, it would certainly explain a lot!

I really didn't need a test to tell me this. My whole life has been one experience after another pointing to the fact that I'm coming from a very different place than most of the people I interact with. Must be the two heads I have grown (or at least from other people's reactions to me I must have two heads as far as I can tell).

Actually, I think the quiz only scratches the surface. Plus, there was some ambiguity in the questions, leading to uncertainly in my answers. In addition, it's difficult for me to say whether some of my answers would actually agree with the way others would answer for me.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#32 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 PM

DH and I periodically have the "introvert" debate. I think there is absolutely nothing in the world wrong with being an introvert. It takes all kinds to make up a world. DH sees introversion as a mild defect - something to tease me about. (The real joke is that *I'm* excited about visiting family for the holidays, while he'd rather stay home and piddle-fart around the yard.)

Growing up my mom always felt I had "too much self esteem". I'm not joking - she has said those exact words to my face. What she's really picking up on is that I'm pretty self aware - not that I think so highly of myself. I recognize my abilities, dis-abilities and oddities, and I accept myself for who I am.

I'm very self aware - so I notice the things about me that are not "typical", but I can't take all the credit - I've had alot of things pointed out to me. My family is very blunt, and I have been told when I am weird - so maybe I have been trained to be more self aware than normal. (Maybe the self esteem is that I'm fine being who I am.) Anyway, the point of all this was that I can see how someone less self aware might not find a test like this useful.

I makes good sense to me that there are all kinds of ways of being. I think what autism illuminates is how unfair it is to assert that only one way of thinking and being is socially acceptable.

I wrote alot and don't feel like I've really nailed what my thought was - I guess it is just that alot of people seem to feel unhappy and uncomfortable in their skins, and I just wish this world was more accepting of all the human variations.
#33 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
Really?? ... that seems, well, somewhat crazy to me. Maybe not so much in a case like above, where the parents know and hide it from the child, tell he grows up and figures it out himself. But to not have a clue at all??? Is that really commonplace?
That's my story. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with me until a few months ago.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#34 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM

ShaggyDaddy, today I was thinking....at least your parents tried to help you. No one ever noticed that I had trouble speaking, or if they did, they just figured I would grow out of it or something.

Once when I was about ten, my mom screamed at me, "YOU HAVEN'T SAID TWO WORDS TO ME IN WEEKS!!! GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!"

Me: : stomped upstairs to my room...

Also every teacher always wrote on my report cards that I need to participate more in class. Like I was just choosing not to participate. Or something about not applying myself, the hidden message of wasting potential.

I never had so much as a referral for speech therapy.

#35 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
youngest you can possibly get an Asperger's dx is age 3, this is one of the reasons PDD-WTF is so common,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy
The chewing and sign language thing are inter-related I have motor problems with my mouth if I do not properly stimulate and exercise it, if I do not, I tend to slur, studder, stammor, and trip over words. When I was little, I was punnished and shamed for chewing on my shirts, it worked to break me of the habit, but it greatly stifled my physical ability to speak, even though I had plenty of mental capacity for it. I was self conscious about it, so I stopped talking unless absolutly necessary, 3rd grade sign language afforded me a more comfortable means to make my needs known.
I can't remember if I had any chewing stims. I really liked candy necklaces. It is hard for me to speak, even when I have things in my head I want to say. I don't really know why it's so difficult, I don't studder. But if I'm not slow and careful, I will mix up word order, or even the order of syllables in a word. If I am emotional, my throat and mouth just get tight and closed up and I can't speak. An alternative method of communication would have been helpful.

#36 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
....this is true for me too. I thought that "pretending" was what everyone did in social settings? ... the difference for me, I guess, is that I *want* to be .....well, not introverted I guess....it's just hard.

I had a hard time for some of the questions too...some were obvious. Like, "do you often have the urge to jump over things?" Umm, no, can't say that I do. .... "Do you sometimes not know what to do with your arms?" ALWAYS. .....lots of them that were not so clear though; maybe some days yes, some days no.
You're supposed to answer the questions as you were as a child. I loved running and jumping up until adulthood. If I ever got unsupervised access to the school gym, I liked to run and jump onto the play stage. And I liked climbing onto the roof of the shed, and climbing trees. And jumping hurdles in gym.

ETA: I'd probably still like running and jumping, except now my boobs are too floppy.

#37 of 46 Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 AM

i took the first test and got a 139 out of 200. interesting. i guess i have more in common with dd than i thought, lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#38 of 46 Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM

That was fun.

Your Aspie score: 62 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 139 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical
(to the extent that introverted geeks are typical, ha)

Quote:

Score
32 - 50 Scores over 32 are generally taken to indicate Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism, with more than 34 an "extreme" score.
24 Average math contest winner
21 Average male or female computer scientist
)
I scored a 22, making me think "wow! their scale descriptions are spot-on."
#39 of 46 Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Interesting--I am definitely, definitely SPD and scored high on the Aspie scale in one section, but I'm very much socially typical. I got:

Your Aspie score: 31 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 174 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#40 of 46 Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0lanthe View Post
I scored a 22, making me think "wow! their scale descriptions are spot-on."
I scored 19 - but they didn't have "female linguist" on the list.
#41 of 46 Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM

I scred 138/2n ne nd 44 on the other Makes sense and fits for me. I feel a lot like DS...We don't always seem to have as many issues coping, but as someone wise once said it "He owns a condo on the spectrum...He may not reside there permanently but he visits often" Its how I see both of us, me moreso than him as I've learned to cope and he is still working through that. Neither of us are diagnosed formally though DS is flagged and gets OT for sensory issues and has a language processing delay.
#42 of 46 Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I got 33 on that one.
(blue stuff copied like above)
The test assesses five different areas. Autistic-like responses will show poor social skill, attention switching, communication and imagination, and an exaggerated attention to detail. In other words, geekiness. You scored 33. The ranking below provides some idea of where that AQ fits in.

Score
32 - 50 Scores over 32 are generally taken to indicate Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism, with more than 34 an "extreme" score.
24 Average math contest winner
21 Average male or female computer scientist
19 Average male scientist, and average male or female physicist
18 Average man
17 Average female scientist
15 Average woman, and average male or female biologist
0 - 12

(where's the "I don't have a friggin' clue" smilie?)
nak

I scored a 38 on this one.

I think it's partly the social anxiety thing-- there were a lot of questions about social situations, which I am bad at...

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#43 of 46 Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Really?? ... that seems, well, somewhat crazy to me. Maybe not so much in a case like above, where the parents know and hide it from the child, tell he grows up and figures it out himself. But to not have a clue at all??? Is that really commonplace?
Yes.
I only put it together after my kids had problems in school. It wasn't in the diagnostic manual when I was that age and going through testing so I was considered to have one thing and then another and then another and each one was later ruled out when the treatments didn't work. People my age typically do not know because it was not being diagnosed correctly when we were kids. That is why it seems like the numbers of cases are skyrocketing now, not because there are so many more but because it wasn't added to the DSM IV until the year I graduated high school.
I ended up having a pretty comprehensive neuropsych eval after I kept finding descriptions that sounded like me and scored way high on the quizzes and that confirmed it.
Most people assume that others' experiences of life are at least largely similar to their own, whether they are NT or on the spectrum. I know that it was assumed constantly by the grown ups in my life that my sensory issues were exaggerated or totally made up for attention (despite the fact that I hated the attention and mostly just wanted to be left alone to read). By adulthood, most aspies have started self-medicating or learned some coping strategies. Also, most aspies by adulthood are better able to identify others' emotional states, etc., although it is something that takes a lot more effort for us and that we do a bit differently (i.e., I have to know someone for a while before I can tell if they are upset or pretending to be upset and before I can tell when they are being sarcastic because I need a baseline for their gestures, posture, tones of voice, etc., so that I can compare and figure out what their mood is at a particular time).
A lot of us stim differently as adults than as children too, so it is definitely possible to be autistic all your life without anyone figuring it out.
Most people have such a stereotypical idea of what autism is in the first place that they would never spot the real thing anyway.
About half my family and friends could not believe my dx and the other half wondered what took me so long to figure it out.
layne

“ it was her habit to build laughter out of inadequate materials....She seemed to know that if she swayed the family shook, and if she ever deeply wavered or despaired the family would fall.”
 -Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath (I frequently ask myself, 'what would Ma Joad do?')

#44 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 PM

158/200, and 46. Being Aspie is awesome! I couldn't tell anyone when I first figured it out until about 2-3 years later. Now that I accept myself, I am glad I am not trapped in a neuro-typical body, less aware of my surroundings and unable to be creative. To me, being more aware/hypersensory is a big asset, and so is being able to think outside "the box".
btw I've said many many times, "What box? Really? There's a box??? I'm not going in a box!"
#45 of 46 Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 AM

No big surprise here. On the first one I got:

Your Aspie score: 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

And on the other one I scored a 39.
#46 of 46 Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 AM

Interesting... I've always said that I don't fit into other ppl's mold of what's expected.

I scored 172/200 on the Aspie part and 38/whatever on the NT part.

It's been a few mos since I took the test.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page