How do you deal with others wanting to start a SN conversation? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLark View Post
My son is only two, but he's also like a twelve month old. In fact he still mouths things constantly (and he likes licking stuff, too). Is that something that kids with Autism outgrow? Does your son still do it? Should I try to make him stop? HOW?
Off topic, but we have had this conversation at our house, mostly because some of the things he wants to mouth (like wood chips) seem kinda toxic. We've settled on small legos - he loves them, they're "relatively" non-toxic, and very portable. Small rocks outside work too. He's never had any choking issues, he seems very aware of how to be safe with small objects in his mouth. We've also noticed that when he doesn't have something readily available to put in his mouth for a stretch, that he either 1) starts chewing on crazy stuff like the leather chair, or 2) gets much less happy and engaged with his world. Mouthing things seems to help him process... Kind of like if you hold my hands still then I can't talk very well, if that makes sense. Anyhow, just our family's story on that subject!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
I know someone who wears sunglasses even indoors. Some accident caused the problem, but night time is the only time he can go w/o his glasses.
Me too. We have a dimmer switch in the master bedroom and bathroom and they have a mark on them so DH knows how high he can turn the lights without hurting my eyes. It's not very bright, but he has learned to navigate with limited lighting.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Off topic, but we have had this conversation at our house, mostly because some of the things he wants to mouth (like wood chips) seem kinda toxic. We've settled on small legos - he loves them, they're "relatively" non-toxic, and very portable. Small rocks outside work too. He's never had any choking issues, he seems very aware of how to be safe with small objects in his mouth. We've also noticed that when he doesn't have something readily available to put in his mouth for a stretch, that he either 1) starts chewing on crazy stuff like the leather chair, or 2) gets much less happy and engaged with his world. Mouthing things seems to help him process... Kind of like if you hold my hands still then I can't talk very well, if that makes sense. Anyhow, just our family's story on that subject!
It focuses sensory input on one main thing that's not too intense and helps him filter the stuff he has no control over. I have a friend who does oral stimming to help combat auditory input.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
It focuses sensory input on one main thing that's not too intense and helps him filter the stuff he has no control over. I have a friend who does oral stimming to help combat auditory input.
Yeah, that sounds about right. It definitely seems like something that contributes positively to his being. That and he's teething, which intensifies the need to chew!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

User Tag List