Mothering Forum banner

Learning Tower or Something Else?

621 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  OMama 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on something that I could have Finn stand in so he is up to counter height and safe? He wants to be up where I am, cooking, making cookies, etc. and where his big sister is, but he just can't stand safely on a chair or regular stool. I heard of this product a while back and know that this seems to be a good thing for some NT children, but would it work for Finn too? http://www.mylearningtower.com/ It is also EXPENSIVE, and money is sooooooo tight right now. No relative is going to buy it for us either. DH is sort of handy, but I know it would take him months and months to make something like this and I think the wood alone would be pricey. So, I don't actually think we could afford it anyway, but maybe in the next couple of months (like when we get taxes back or that money tree in the backyard starts producing or my dad finally wins the lotto--that would be the best one!)

Anyway, anyone used one? Anything similar? And do you think I'd ever have any luck getting our insurance company to pay for something like this? I did mention that to the OT and she said that sometimes she has known insurance companies to pay for similar things but not this, more like walkers and mobility stuff. Then she told me how some family made something similar out of a large plastic garbage can. I know she had a positive intention in sharing this information, but it I didn't really take to that idea. One, I know DH would freak if I brought a huge, off-gassing, plastic garbage can into the house (he is rather anti-plastic, and anti-purchasing "unnecessary" items) and second, I just did not like the idea of Finn standing in something made for garbage. I also thought it might easily tip over. Anyway, that idea wasn't working for me. Other thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
We use just a plain old Target step stool with our kids (They make one in wood too that's about $65). But neither of them had balance issues. In other words, there was little danger of our kids falling off backward. It had a handle in the front so they could hold on.

The Learning Tower is kind of big, and as you noted, pricey (the lowest price I can find is about $170 + shipping). The step stool folds away more easily. If your dh is handy, could he modify a step stool -- by putting something on the back so that he if he tips backward, he'll be caught?

#3 ·
We have a Learning Tower that we bought for our oldest daughter. She used it all the time. My son is much too wobbly for it as the sides are really open and so we put it away. Luckily some friends of ours gifted us a tower that they had made and used for their kids (not special needs.) It's actually made of wood from a cabinet. If you are interested I can take photos of it and email them to you. My son LOVES it and it makes it so much easier to cook with him cause I don't have to bring everything over to the table where his high chair is! Also, not knowing your child's limitations etc. I will say that the sooner you adapt his world to him the better off everyone will be!

#4 ·
Thanks!

I'd actually love to see the pictures of the homemade tower. That is one concern I had--about whether or not Finn could fall out of the sides. If he has something to hold onto I think he will be okay, but I'm not certain. I need to try to figure out how big the holes are. What I need is to really see this thing in a store!

#6 ·
My idea was to have him at the counter with us and there is no lip or overhang to the counter so a high chair or bar stool wouldn't work; he needs to be as flush up against it as possible. Also, he REALLY likes to stand and I want to encourage him to do so, so I don't thinking sitting down would work. But thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.