What is the Difference btwn an Autism dx from a Neuro vs a Dev. Ped? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was asked today if dd was dx'd autistic by a neuro or a developmental ped.

Anybody know why they would ask this? Does one or the other carry more "weight"?

FWIW... dd was dx'd by the dev ped. Her neuro doesn't agree. I am still on the fence about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure. It might have just been a question (ie: who should I contact about why the DX was made)?

Developmental Pediatricians seem to deal with ASD diagnosis more frequently than neurologist and psychiatrists, except in situations where they specialize in ASD.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 AM

One thing is that I think a neuro would be more able to rule out other disorders that can mimic autism (e.g. Landau Kleffner, other seizure disorders). Whereas a dev. ped might be coming from a more pragmatic standpoint of "Does this child have the same characteristics as a child with ASD and would they benefit from the same support".

I have a good friend with a child who has an "official diagnosis" of Childhood Disintegrative Disorder from his neuro. However, at this point he function exactly like a child with HFA. His parents use the HFA label when they're trying to put together interventions for him etc . . . but from a medical perspective there are certain differences in onset and perhaps etiology between the two.

User Tag List