what are the odds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been quite a while since I have been here. You guys helped me figure things out with my middle kiddo (DD1) about two years ago now. Since getting the official diagnosis, getting turned down by the idiots in the local school district for therapy assistance (we home school), and discovering the not only were Dd1 and I mirrors of each other but that we both needed to go gluten free things are on an even keel..... For Dd1 and me that is. *sigh*

I know Ds (the oldest) has sensory issues but it is mostly with food and doesn't mess with his ability to function or interact with the world around him like the sensory issues do with Dd1.

But, my question is what are the odds that Dd2 (my littlest who will be 5yo in Jan) is in the same position that Dd1 and I were in before we figured things out? She is usually such a sweet kid. Only as of late she is getting quirkier and quirkier. It has gotten to the point that last night when we went to leave MIL's house that she bit me. And she didn't just bit me she clamped down as hard as she could. My thumb is still numb and has to be kept splinted she did such a number on it.

There are a lot of things that *might* might be feeding into the problem (holidays, new baby in the family (as in the first cousin was born about a month ago) but there have been other things that I have been watching for a while. Lots of chewing on toys (like Dd1), playing with spit/wiping spit around on her skin, refusing to leave clothes on unless she is cold (not a big deal to me as long as she is in the house but a big deal to dh), hitting (fairly new and a building issue), kicking (fairly new and a building issue), Biting (her new response to being mad at someone not a clue why building issue and the worst of the ways she hurts folks when she is mad), picky eater (pretty new issue and has been building fairly quickly she used to eat *anything* you put in front of her or was on my plate), she has a tendency to throw toys as well, things are either done by someone (complete denial of fault) else or all her fault (whether she did it or not and leads to her spending long amounts of time crying and there is no way to talk sense into her or comfort her)

Dh has been doing the 'don't go looking for problems' bit and keeps telling me that we just need to crack down on discipline. Personally I see some of the issues that Dd1 had and different versions of other issues Dd1 had. I don't know how much of it is imitation of what Dd2 has seen Dd1 do (I have been doing a lot of talking with Dd1 about how Dd2 is going to d what she sees Ds and Dd1 do). I'm kind of at a loss. It is too late to try and get a evaluation from the local early learning center like we did with Dd1. And I don't really want to have to deal with that route again and then get transferred over to the local public schools who will turn around and tell us that our child is perfectly fine.

I'm just at a loss. anyone with advice or the ability to make sense of this is more then welcome to toss their .02 out.

TIA

My numb thumb and I will be in the corner trying to finish making the Christmas presents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 01:18 AM

Sorry; I dunno, but I thought I'd give you a bump.

computergeek2.gif

Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 AM

I just caught this now. I swear you are describing all of my 5 yo. DD's recent escalating behavior! I have a new baby on the way in a matter of weeks, so I am really concerned. I have no insight for you, just wanted to jump into the trenches with you, and hope somebody with more wisdom pops in to share.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.

User Tag List