Autism and Induction by Pitocin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand that there are no cases of Autism in natural childbirth by midwives. Does anyone have a child born by a midwife with autism? I believe that the synthetic Pitocin causes autism. I am thinking that if the mother doesn't naturally go into labor and pass oxytocin to the child, then the child's body doesn't start up making its own natural oxytocin love hormone, which causes autism issue to arise. The Pitocin in my mind is another case where the synthetic form is not as good as the natural form.

Let me know your thoughts.
#2 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie123 View Post
I understand that there are no cases of Autism in natural childbirth by midwives.
Can you link a source for that?

coolshine.gif

#3 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 AM

That is an incredible blanket statement, wow!! I'm too shocked to even comment at the moment except to say that it is completely wrong and off base and sad.
#4 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM

I think it could be an interesting possible connection-- I would not dimiss out of hand that there could be some connection-- however, there are more things done differently during a "non-natural" childbirth than just the pitocin. With my first labor/birth, we got antibiotics, pitocin, the epidural, and epinephrine (right? To bring up my blood pressure I think?) With my second labor, I got a teeny shot in the hip, that was all. And what do you know, my first son has Asperger's and is generally less healthy. My second son is developmentally "ahead" and is very healthy. Is there a connection? It's possible-- although there is definitely a genetic factor as well.

There is a boy in my family who is quite autistic and he was a UC, totally natural. Also was never vaxxed at all. So I don't think that non-natural childbirth "causes" autism. But I think it's possible that all of those drugs could play a role for children who already have the genetic potential to go there.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#5 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM

My son refused to be born. Literally. I started going into labor 3 weeks after my due date and then the contractions stopped so the dr started Pit. My son was born completely healthy and up til 15 months of age he was a very happy baby meeting all milestones.

After shots at 15 months he stopped smiling, started screaming, and was dx with Autism. So, no, in his case it wasn't the Pit.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#6 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 PM

In 1943 Dr. Leo Kanner of Johns Hopkins University described autism for the first time.

Oxytocin and vasopressin were isolated and synthesized by Vincent du Vigneaud in 1953, work for which he received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1955.

Next.
#7 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM

My daughter, 7, was a result of a Pitocin induction. Well, they started Pitocin, but it made me contract in a wonky manner, so they stopped it. She does not have autism.

Incidentally, my son's labor did not have a drop of Pitocin in the room, and he has autism. Go figure?
#8 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Yeah, I have seen those links too. Did you see PETA claiming drinking milk causes autism? Anything and everything is being blamed as the cause right now. If Pitocin caused autism, or epidurals, or hospital births at all, numbers would be way, way higher then they are since the vast majority of babies are born in a hospital w/ an epidural & whatever other interventions. (in this country anyway).
Adding pitocin & an epidural Might make bonding take longer, (since you don't have that rush of hormones after the birth and the baby is definitely impacted by the drugs & sleepier) but that does not equal autism.

If you look for it, you can probably find an article linking autism to just about any facet of modern life. Sooner or later they'll figure it out, in the meantime, anyone that has a few bucks is gonna conjure up a study or put together a few articles or ads, and use autism to further their own cause....

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#9 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Uhhh wow. :

What a statement.::::

My ds was born unassisted, at home, with only my dh around. He is most *definitely* on the spectrum.

He's never had a single vax, either. Not one.

To the op, you're barking up the wrong tree, I think. At MDC you're going to find a lot of babies who were homebirthed/ midwife assissted/unassisted/ totally BF/ nonvaxed/whatever kids who are autistic in some form.
#10 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I understand that there are no cases of Autism in natural childbirth by midwives. Does anyone have a child born by a midwife with autism? I believe that the synthetic Pitocin causes autism. I am thinking that if the mother doesn't naturally go into labor and pass oxytocin to the child, then the child's body doesn't start up making its own natural oxytocin love hormone, which causes autism issue to arise. The Pitocin in my mind is another case where the synthetic form is not as good as the natural form.

Uh, no - not in our case. My middle and third son were both born with no pitocin involved and are quite autistic. In our case it's genetic.

No epidurals for any of them either. Absolutely normal gestation and delivery - no trauma. They are almost rudely healthy. Our Doctor seldom sees them unless it's for well checks.

As far as the 'love hormone not starting up'? Not the case with my three - they love deeply and fully. Do they display it like everyone else? Not always. Very cuddly loving kids.

I also have autistic traits and I sure did not have any pitocin at my birth. I have no trouble loving people. I have trouble communicating with people sometimes.
#11 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 01:05 PM

FYI - Just because you had a midwife assist with no doctor present doesn't mean that pitocin wasn't used....it may have been used. Depends on the situation. It's just that midwives don't *automatically* use it, and they try everything else first. Yes, some midwives may not use it at all, but in the cases where it is needed then you would be transferred to a doctor who does use it. IMO a midwife-assisted birth using a bit of pitocin if necessary is still preferable to a doctor-assisted birth.

Anyway, ITA with some of the other PP's, IMO there is no connection between pitocin and autism.

(Thanks for the background medical/technical info SD!)

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#12 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM

my little autistic kiddoe was born at home in our bathtub with nothing in my system but yogurt and a turkey sandwich.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#13 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 PM

No meds here---no pit, epidural, nothing. Gabe was born in a hospital, a spontaneous (fast) vaginal birth, but no, I wasn't given anything during labor or birth.

Joni and kids, incl. Michaela :, 12, funky spinal cord, and Gabe :, 9, trisomy 21 and autism
#14 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Fay

The statistical correlation between obstetrical interventions (including Pitocin) and autism has been documented in medical studies, but keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#15 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM

So many different causes for autism IMHO. Pitocin could be a contributor but maybe only inasmuch as it can cause decrease in O2 leading to neuropathy for example. My eldest most likely has asperger's and my middle child may be on the spectrum, at the very least has multiple sensory issues and quirks. Both were induced w/pitocin, both had decreased O2 flow at some point during delivery. My eldest was severely IUGR (4.5lbs, 38 weeks) and my middle child border-line IUGR.

My youngest, however, not exactly induced, but born via c-section at around 26 weeks. She turned out to have the fewset issues and minimal sensory bumps in the road. She was born due to an almost non-existent blood flow through the placenta.

I wonder if pitocin could could contain other chemicals or compounds that affect newborns adversely? IOW maybe it's not to do with lack of oxytocin but rather some sort of toxic affect of the induction drug itself?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#16 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
The statistical correlation between obstetrical interventions (including Pitocin) and autism has been documented in medical studies, but keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation.
Yes, it is very important to remember that correlation does not equal causation. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe that a fetus with autism may be more likely to need interventions at birth. It's a question of the chicken and the egg and until more research is done we have no way of knowing which came first.

I had pitocin when DS was born, but I do not think that it caused his autism.

In the articles I've read about the theory that pitocin causes autism the reasoning usually goes something like this: pitocin stops the baby from producing natural oxytocin and since oxytocin is the "bonding hormone", the baby is not able to bond and develops autism. This is not my experience with my child with autism. He is able to bond and is very loving. He does have social difficulties, but the ability to bond with his parents is not one of them. I have not seen any resarch that suggestes that his other autism issues including speech, motor skills, play skills, and repetatitive behaviors are caused by oxytocin problems.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#17 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
In 1943 Dr. Leo Kanner of Johns Hopkins University described autism for the first time.

Oxytocin and vasopressin were isolated and synthesized by Vincent du Vigneaud in 1953, work for which he received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1955.

Next.
I love you, Shaggy Daddy!
Seriously, if Pit caused Autism, my little girl should be Autistic. Yeah, the one who NEVER leaves me alone, who talks a mile a minute at 14 months old, and who smiles at EVERYONE!
Of course, my last shred of "maybe Brendon's just a boy" hope got shattered on Saturday. We went out to lunch with MIL and another family was in the next booth. They had a 21 month old son who played "ah" with Hypatia for the whole time. Sigh.
#18 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
my little autistic kiddoe was born at home in our bathtub with nothing in my system but yogurt and a turkey sandwich.
it's turkey! turkey causes autism!

:

eta: my DD was born after a pit induction and neither she nor I had any issue with bonding, at all. and she's not autistic. what about all these millions of neurotypical, or at least, non-autistic kids born after a labor induced or augmented by pitocin? nowadays it seems more often than not, even if a woman goes into labor naturally, they get pitocin to speed things up. just like the vaccine/autism theory, there would still have to be something different about the child that causes them to develop autism after the environmental trigger when the majority do not.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#19 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM

NO meds for me for my youngest two. One is autistic and one is not. The theory doesn't work for me. True, we didn't use a midwife and birthed in a hospital setting, but drug-free is drug-free no matter where you are.
#20 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
it's turkey! turkey causes autism!

:
hmm...i did eat alot of turkey while pg/nursing jet....and turkey is shaggydaddy's fav food.....maybe you are on to something here.

the mystery is solved!

too late for these twins though. :

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#21 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Great. Now I want turkey!!

#22 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM

Well it can't be turkey, i'm a vegetarian. However both of my kids were born with pit and both are autistic. As is my brother who there was born without it.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#23 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM

I've always felt that if something the mom did in pregnancy was terribly important in the autism picture fraternal twins would be more likely to be autistic compared to other siblings. But the rate of concordance (both twins being on the spectrum) with fraternal twins is the same as with other siblings. I mean, they share the same pregnancy and birth! Yet one is no more likley to be autistic than any other sibling in a different pregnancy. Not so with identical twins who share the same genes....they are much more likely to both be autistic if one is autistic.

Oh, fraternal twins. Pit. One autistic and one not.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#24 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Where di you get the statement on natural childbirth?

I have two sons who were born naturally with MW's and they both have Autism. I did not have Pitocin with either of them. I went into labor on my own. I know other moms who also went to MW's and had natural births and have children with Autism.

I think that this theory needs some research to back it up. Such a general statement that does not make a lot of sense to me.
Thanks!

Take care,
Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#25 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM

My neurotypical daughter was born after a pitocin induction when my water broke and contractions still hasn't begun 22 hours later.

My sons were both born at home with no pitocin, no epidural and no other interventions. One has Asperger Syndrome and the other is as neurotypical as they come.

I think we look to things like vaccines and birth practices because they are controllable. It would be so nice if we could ensure a perfect future for our children by doing the "right" thing -- not being induced, not vaccinating. Life...it ain't that simple.
#26 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Unfortunatly, antedotal evidence doesn't really get us anywhere here. My dad's wife is convinced that plastics in toys cause autism because she has 3 sons, two older ones were kids in the age of wooden toys and her youngest son with Asperger's (much younger than the older two) played with more plastic toys. But all 3 of my kids played with plastic toys and only my oldest has autism. By my experience alone I would say it's the vaccines since my oldest had shots and has autism my younger two are unvaxed and neurotypical. But I know tons of unvaxed kiddos on the spectrum. My autistic son birth was pit induced but other posters here said their autistic kids were born drug free....we could go on and on. KWIM?

I know we all want to know what the heck is happening to our kids and we are desperate to stop this epidemic. But like I said above antedotal evidence doesn't add up to much in trying to solve this puzzle. It's just too widespread and the kids are all so different, with different genetics, different enviornments, differnent births, etc. I personally believe it's multicausal and maybe it's all of it (vaccines, plastics in toys, pitocin, formula, diet, etc, etc, etc) but I'll wait and support the science.
#27 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Uh, wow...

I was induced with Cyotec and then had pitocin with my son. He is almost 5 and does not have Autism.

So there. Just blew this theory out of the water.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#28 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Eh. My thoughts are that it's yet another way to blame mom. I have one child induced with pit and one child born 100% natural who are both diagnosed PDD-NOS. If we're handing out environmental blame I would look much earlier in pregnancy than at delivery. There was some interesting report on thalidomide babies with autism that pinpointed an exact week-or-so in the pregnancy when they thought things had gone kablooey and it was quite early on... I don't recall the details though (someone here is shouting in my ear.) YMMV
#29 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
then the child's body doesn't start up making its own natural oxytocin love hormone, which causes autism issue to arise.
With all due respect, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this... Autism is more than the emotional abilities that are presented in stereotypes. I think saying that the child is void of the love hormone is offensive and very untrue. (As I think many of our parents here could confirm, Autistics can love AND show emotion)

I think aligning a theory on the non-production of a "love hormone" would be along the same lines as the refrigerator mom theory. In my mind they sound very similar and, as we know, the RM theory was irrevocably proved wrong.

I think putting blame on someone takes us away from actually accepting our children and helping them in their unique and individual ways.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#30 of 39 Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM

My son was born at home, completely drug-free, after 20 hours of natural labor. He has never been vaccinated. He also has autism.

He is an extremely loving and affectionate child- he asks for "cuddles" and will stay in bed for an hour just cuddling with me in the morning and he loves to give me kisses. He has just started talking more and tells me "I love you" back when I tell him I love him. He is considered fairly high functioning by everyone who has ever evaluated him. Could the fact that he was not exposed to drugs during labor and had a gentle birth at home and was also never vaccinated have something to do with the fact that he is so high functioning? I think it might.

It is my opinion that there are multiple causes for autism. Genetics, chemicals in the environment, epigenetic nutritional deficiencies, vaccines, etc. Could Pitocin aggravate autism? I think it might just like any other synthetic chemical might. It is a strong synthetic hormone that doesn't act the same way in the body as natural Oxytocin. It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier and as you said it doesn't produce feelings of love and euphoria like the real oxytocin does. I think there are most likely multiple ways for autism to occur- that is why the numbers are so alarmingly high- 1 in 150 children, even higher in boys.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page