Rebekah finally got her wheelchair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rebekah finally got her wheelchair. Actually, she has had it for several weeks, but it was sized to fit a much larger child and she couldn't do much in it. They came the other day and sized it to fit her and she can wheel around in it a little. It rolls very smoothly and easily and she can wheel across the room, with coaxing. We took her to the park in it Satruday, hoping that she would practice wheeling it around a little, but I never could get her to go more than a foot or so. She just screeched at us to push her.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to try a little more to move on her own. I really want her to have some independence outside of the house and it seems that it is going to be awhile before she walks, so I had hoped that the wheelchair would give her a little freedom. If she is just going to want to be pushed though, I might as well have stuck with the stroller. It weighs a lot less!
#2 of 6 Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 PM

I think 98% of what I hear all day long is "PUUUUUSH MAMA!" He can't wheel his own chair though since it's an adaptive stroller. It gets very old very fast, so I know what you mean. I have no idea how to get her to push it more independantly, but maybe in time she'll just start doing it.
#3 of 6 Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Oh, I really think that in time, she'll see what kind of independence she's got, and she'll start pushing herself much more. Does she use the wheelchair inside the house? That's what helped Michaela at first. She quickly caught on to the fact that if she was having to wait for someone to, say, push her into the kitchen, it was going to be a lot slower than pushing herself .

She still wanted to be pushed when we were out and about, because it was simply so much faster, but this gradually changed, too. I can't say how old she was, but eventually, Michaela got to where she was kind of offended if you assumed she wanted to be pushed. And now, of course, she is openly offended if someone tries to "help" without asking first .

Congratulations to Rebekah!

Joni and kids, incl. Michaela :, 12, syringomyelia, and Gabe :, 10 today!, w/autism and Down syn.
#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post
I think 98% of what I hear all day long is "PUUUUUSH MAMA!" He can't wheel his own chair though since it's an adaptive stroller. It gets very old very fast, so I know what you mean. I have no idea how to get her to push it more independantly, but maybe in time she'll just start doing it.
Ironically, Bekah has always hated the stoller, so what I hear all day long us "Up Mama, Up Mama, Up Mama!" LOL She is willing to stay in the wheelchair, we just better keep it moving!
#5 of 6 Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondee0 View Post
Oh, I really think that in time, she'll see what kind of independence she's got, and she'll start pushing herself much more. Does she use the wheelchair inside the house? That's what helped Michaela at first. She quickly caught on to the fact that if she was having to wait for someone to, say, push her into the kitchen, it was going to be a lot slower than pushing herself .

She still wanted to be pushed when we were out and about, because it was simply so much faster, but this gradually changed, too. I can't say how old she was, but eventually, Michaela got to where she was kind of offended if you assumed she wanted to be pushed. And now, of course, she is openly offended if someone tries to "help" without asking first .

Congratulations to Rebekah!

Joni and kids, incl. Michaela :, 12, syringomyelia, and Gabe :, 10 today!, w/autism and Down syn.
Thanks so much for the encouragement Joni! We went to a homeschool PE class for my older kids yesterday and I was able to use the empty half of the gym to work with Bekah. I took a lollipop and made her wheel her chair to get it. I started out with just asking for three pushes before she got a lick and by the end of the hour, she was wheeling herself 5-6 feet at a time, with multiple pushes to get there, rather than "one and stop, one and stop", etc. She did really well! She hasn't figured out how to turn, but I'm sure that will come. We do put her in it in the house, but she hasn't made much effort to go far. Maybe she will today.

p.s. Happy belated birthday Gabe!
#6 of 6 Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Hey sis...did you try teasing her with the tv remote...it worked for amber! by the way...5 minutes from insanity...i did not know you lived so close to me!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page