DIY Weighted Vest - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-24-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our OT reccomended trying a weighted vest, but they look pretty pricey. I was hoping to just make one myself. Has anyone done this? I saw one with a body wrap and two detactable shoulder straps that looked pretty neat. I think the sewing wouldn't be hard to figure out, but I'm not sure how much weight is appropriate - Juju is 17lbs right now.
#2 of 8 Old 01-24-2009, 06:40 PM

I know for blankets it's 10% of body weight + 1 lb, but I don't know about vests. Maybe check with his therapist? I haven't seen any in the catalogs we get so I don't know how much they typically weigh.
#3 of 8 Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM

I have no idea about the weight part, but you could use a cheap life vest, take out the foam floaty stuff, and add weighted material. I would think that would be a quick and dirty way of making one.
#4 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 AM

Here's a pattern that you can buy for one. It looks like they have a lot of good info abou it on their site. http://www.weightedvest.com/index.html
#5 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help!
#6 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM

My son wears a weighted hooded sweat shirt at school. We took one of his hooded sweat shirts that zips all the way down and sewed two pockets on the inside of the front and 3 on the inside of the back. The school gave us some packets that contain the weights. He wears it everyday at school. No one can tell that it is a therapy jacket. It just took some time and a hoodie that we already owned.
#7 of 8 Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM

We tried a weighted vest with Andrew. His OT used clay in baggies for the weights and she used 5% of child's body weight I believe. You can go lower than that but not higher. You also had to use it and then take breaks so the body didn't get used to the sensation and quit responding. Some children actually respond better to restriction type clothing (for a squeeze type sensation) so if JuJu isn't responsive to weight you might try the other. I'm surprised OT can't loan you something to try before you go to the trouble. Andrew loved having weighted snakes in his lap. He liked weight but wasn't particularly responsive to it either. The tight stuff worked better for him.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 8 Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, she just mentioned getting him a weighted vest. She didn't offer anything. She did mention we needed something like the rice filled ones where we could put the weight in different places in different positions. I tend to think the tight stuff would be more helpful... I think very much weight will just stop him. Is there some particular type of tight clothing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page