Neurologist tomorrow. What to expect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after a 5 month wait to get an appointment, we finally get to see a neurologist in the morning. Initially, we got referred becuase of a slight hand tremor my 3 year old son has, and because of his speech delay. I've since become increasingly concerned about him (sleeping problems, lots of behavoir problems, anxiety). I'm convinced he has sensory processing disorder, but I was just reading about 47XXY/Klinefelter syndrome and he seems to fit the description (including definite sensory processing issues + the intention tremor) and, of course, I've gotten myself all worried. He was already evaluated for autism and does not have it. I'm just wondering what to expect at the visit. Do neurologists right off the bat want MRIs or blood work done (to check for chromosome problems)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Tree View Post
So after a 5 month wait to get an appointment, we finally get to see a neurologist in the morning. Initially, we got referred becuase of a slight hand tremor my 3 year old son has, and because of his speech delay. I've since become increasingly concerned about him (sleeping problems, lots of behavoir problems, anxiety). I'm convinced he has sensory processing disorder, but I was just reading about 47XXY/Klinefelter syndrome and he seems to fit the description (including definite sensory processing issues + the intention tremor) and, of course, I've gotten myself all worried. He was already evaluated for autism and does not have it. I'm just wondering what to expect at the visit. Do neurologists right off the bat want MRIs or blood work done (to check for chromosome problems)?
Mama,

I know this part is scary. I hope everything works out.

Generally neuros are slower to order lots of things. It may be that this is just the beginning conversation. It may be that there are a few things that he/she will want to look at out of the gate. The good thing is that you will, most likely, have plenty of time to evaluate the situation and your treatment options.

Godspeed.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#3 of 3 Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM

the neuro we saw did run basic blood testing for some common genetic stuff and heavy metals. But the MRI and EEG we did at another time were more from our own concern and pressuring them to check it out.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page