Another family doesn't get it thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is perfectly polite, but I suspect that she doesn't believe my son's diagnosis. She was a teacher and she had a friend who taught special ed look at his (incredibly detailed and professional -- done by one of the best psychologists in our area) evaluation. In the notes that the teacher friend wrote back there is an off-handed reference to "aspergers, if that is indeed what he has."

My mom has also been pushing for us to do a school evaluation (which we are headed towards for our own reasons). She said the other day that they may say something different. I told her that if they say something different they are wrong.

I said to her recently that we will be setting up a special needs trust because we can't make the assumption that DS will be able to live independently in adulthood. She was speechless -- literally. When she finally regained her voice, she said, "I just don't see that."

Just venting, really. It is hard to be in relationship with someone who can't accept your reality.
#2 of 8 Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm sorry. It's really hard when your family is the one that is supposed to be supportive, and a lot of times they are the ones who really blow it.

Trust me, I know the feeling. I had to put up with rolled eyes and nasty comments this holiday season from some people in my family.

#3 of 8 Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Ugh. I'm sorry.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#4 of 8 Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#5 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 AM

I was going to come and post a very similar thread I totally get what you're saying.

Everyone has an opinion about your child's challenges (general you) and yet the irony is that none of those people know your child the way you do and none of them have spent HALF the time you've spent reading, researching and observing said child. Hang in there

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#6 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
Everyone has an opinion about your child's challenges (general you) and yet the irony is that none of those people know your child the way you do and none of them have spent HALF the time you've spent reading, researching and observing said child. Hang in there
Yes!
#7 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that I am not alone in this boat. It does make me wonder, though, how difficult would it be to just accept our judgment about our own children? I mean, really, who would chose to say their child had challenges if they weren't certain it was true? Sigh...
#8 of 8 Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinelin View Post
I mean, really, who would chose to say their child had challenges if they weren't certain it was true? Sigh...
I don't know. I don't get this either.

My mom is convinced that my dd wouldn't have gotten this diagnosis if we had her in Sunday school. She believes dd doesn't really have ASD, she just needs to get out more. It's frustrating, to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page