MRSA exposure, timeline, questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nephew, who is a year and a half, has MRSA and has been being treated for about a week. It seems to me that the doctors are kind of giving my sister a runaround. She has asked about having her other children tested to see if they are carriers, but the peds (two different ones in the same practice) told her that they could only test them if there was a boil. I have read that there is a nasal swab that they can do.

So, I guess one of my questions is whether or not that is typical (to test other family members) and whether she ought to get more insistent. The other is about Grace's exposure. Should I have Grace tested, even though she is asymptomatic? I'm concerned because she's having surgery in a month and I really wouldn't want that to be a complicating factor. I kind of assumed that Grace has been exposed to it before since she's been in the hospital so many times. But, I'm wondering if I should be more concerned/proactive.

Opinions? Experiences?

Also, my sister was told by one nurse that her son was now kind of like a cancer patient and that he wouldn't be able to go to school or be around other children for several years. WTF???

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#2 of 8 Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The "nurse" is acting hysterically.

Many people are carriers of MRSA. If you are a carrier (and yes, you can find out by a nasal swab, we culture all of our MICU patients when they enter the units and if they stay longer than 48 hours, we culture them at discharge to the floor) what's important is that you are diligent about hand washing, using bleach with towels and other shared linens, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen on a regular basis, and if you are around someone who is immunocompromised, wear a mask to protect them. But otherwise, live life normally.

It is possible to eradicate MRSA but it can take years, and frankly, so many people are colonized now, without even knowing it, I don;t see the point. I live my life assuming I am colonized, because of the nature of my work.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#3 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Antibiotics don't work and make the MRSA stronger sorry to say. BUT it can buy you time till you get on the Allimed (garlic) Important to also take a really really good probiotic. This is the one we take:

Probiotic: http://www.livingstreamsmission.com/

Internally take grapefruit seed extract- http://www.nutribiotic.com/

GSE could aslo help by putting in humidifier/nebulizer perhaps- worth a shot

super potent garlic- http://optimalhealthusa.com/Allimed.html (NATURE"S ANTIBIOTIC)

super vigron- http://www.baselinenutritionals.com/...ucts&view=list)

also consider blood support from baseline nutritionals

Externally to decolonize (staph tends to hang out in nose, under arms, and in genital area)- take clay baths- www.NaturesCleansingClay.com or www.magneticclay.com

put GSE (grapefruit seed extract in your soap, etc), and use olive leaf nasal spray in nose or OZONE gel. We got ours from England: http://www.activatedoxygen.co.uk/mrsa.asp

Ozone gel also will help surface skin infections that are mrsa or not healing completely clear up and heal (my infant son had eczema and 4 months, 5 oral antibiotics, and tons of bactroban later- it did nothing to get rid of the mrsa. One week of ozone applied and garlic taken internally and the infection was gone.

olive leaf extract nsal spray: http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive...sal-spray.html

We also use the GSE (20-30 drops in every rinse cycle of laundry) and use it to clean everything around the house.

Also- have manuka honey on hand in the house for open infections. This is one brand but there are others:

http://www.umfactivemanukahoney.com/

I hope all this helps...now after 7 months we are 100% mrsa free- without antibiotics: 2 adults and 2 young children. It took a lot of time and a lot of research so please keep this list of resources and share with everyone you know who may benefit.

Most doctors will tell you you will have MRSA for life but it's not true- I just got my lab results today- no mrsa!

Health and blessings to you all,

N
#4 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Although MRSA is very scary I think you may be confused about it a bit. A large percentage of the population (I've read 6-8%) are carriers of MRSA. Yes, you can swab someone's nose to find out if they are a carrier. You aren't going to "catch" MRSA the way you would a virus. Chances are you're exposed to MRSA on a daily basis and it's not a big deal. Obviously taking precautions not to spread it to any family members is wise and I think someone mentioned earlier ways to do that. Ultimately though, like I said, you come into contact with it daily.

I don't know where that nurse is getting her information. I would venture to guess that there are plenty of kids in school who are carriers of MRSA. I have no heard of testing other family members or treating them unless there's an infection. There's a big difference between being a carrier or being colonized with MRSA and having a MRSA infection. One does not lead to the other necessarily at all.

My daughter contracted an actual MRSA pneumonia infection post-operatively from her tracheostomy and for 6mos following her medical chart was flagged and she was placed in isolation whenever she was hospitalized so that we didn't run the risk of infecting those with a weakened immune system. Now we're 2.5yrs out and nothing different is done. She was colonized with MRSA within her lungs for over a year (though she's kicked it now) and it never caused her any problems outside of her initial infection.
#5 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irangel View Post
Although MRSA is very scary I think you may be confused about it a bit. A large percentage of the population (I've read 60-80%) are carriers of MRSA.
According to the CDC website about 1% are colonized with MRSA and 20-30%with staph.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#6 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
According to the CDC website about 1% are colonized with MRSA and 20-30%with staph.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html
Woops, I meant 6-8% but I think that may be among healthcare professionals.
#7 of 8 Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
The "nurse" is acting hysterically.

Many people are carriers of MRSA. If you are a carrier (and yes, you can find out by a nasal swab, we culture all of our MICU patients when they enter the units and if they stay longer than 48 hours, we culture them at discharge to the floor) what's important is that you are diligent about hand washing, using bleach with towels and other shared linens, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen on a regular basis, and if you are around someone who is immunocompromised, wear a mask to protect them. But otherwise, live life normally.

It is possible to eradicate MRSA but it can take years, and frankly, so many people are colonized now, without even knowing it, I don;t see the point. I live my life assuming I am colonized, because of the nature of my work.

We're facing that right now, my dad is in ICU following heart surgery, and he tested positive for MRSA. Just in his nose, and most of the nurses who come in kind of laugh off the full body cover because it's contained, and not contagious unless you stick a finger up his nose and do unmentionable things. At that point, you have bigger issues

You could have her tested, but honestly there isn't much you can do about it. If she had a boil, you'd want to keep it covered so it's not shared among friends, but other than that....

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#8 of 8 Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 AM

Interesting. We went in for a serious tube site infection...Could be staph, could be MRSA, could be any number of things which we'll see once we've had a chance to really get aggressive with treatment. I asked specifically about sending DD back to her school for medically fragile children since we don't know what the infection is at current. Ped (who is excellent) said to let them know she had an infection but that with their precautions, her risk to the other kids was tiny. And most of her classmates are immune compromised in some way or another...they aren't medically fragile for no reason after all. Good luck to you and to your sister. Hopefully Grace is fine, but I would keep an eye on all stomas since they are good at picking it up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page