Is pronoun reversal exclusive to the autism spectrum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 19mo is still reversing you and I. What I want to know is, is pronoun reversal a part of normal development, or any other condition besides autism?

My son is undeniably gifted. He is talking like a 2.5 to 3 YEAR old. I can ask him what he did today, and he can tell me accurately. But he still has a habit of reversing you and I. He handed me a teddy bear and said, "I hold it", 'I' meaning me. At the park he didn't like touching the sand and every time he touched the sand he held his hands up and said, "Wash your hands!" There was no one else at the park, but I thought, if there was another parent here who knew about autism, they would surely peg him autistic.

"Wash your hands!" has, in fact, become his favorite phrase. His sensory defensiveness has gotten worse lately. He even held a muffin between his wrists to eat it, because he didn't want to touch it with his hands.

So do non-autistic kids ever reverse pronouns?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#2 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM

Typical kids can reverse pronouns for awhile. They figure them out eventually. I would just keep up with the positive modeling from his perspective "Oh Mama, YOU hold it!"

Is he in OT at all for the sensory defensiveness?
#3 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Dd used to reverse "you" and "I" when she was little, but I honestly can't remember how old she was when she stopped. She used to say, "Mama, hold you!" when she wanted to be picked up. I thought it was very normal because I was always referring to her as "you," so she referred to herself that way, too. She is definitely not autistic at almost 5-years-old. So, my answer is that yes, non-autistic kids reverse pronouns.
#4 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM

I agree with the above posters in that typically developing kids can reverse too. Yours is young so this wouldn't indicate spectrum to me. Neither would the sensory defensiveness necessarily. Kids not on the spectrum can have sensory issues too.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM

It's very, very common and a pretty normal stage of language development. Not at all a red flag or indicator that your child has ASD.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#6 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM

My very bright, very talkative, probably NT daughter does that occasionally, and she's 5.5...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#7 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Pronoun reversal is very common with typical kids. My school district wouldn't put issues with pronouns on my child's IEP until age 5 because until then it is still considered to be in the range of developmentally normal.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#8 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
Dd used to reverse "you" and "I" when she was little, but I honestly can't remember how old she was when she stopped. She used to say, "Mama, hold you!" when she wanted to be picked up. I thought it was very normal because I was always referring to her as "you," so she referred to herself that way, too. She is definitely not autistic at almost 5-years-old. So, my answer is that yes, non-autistic kids reverse pronouns.
Ahh, this is exactly how my precious peanut used to ask to be held! *tears* Both my kids (one NT, one ASD) said "read it to you" as they'd place a book in my hand.

I don't recall all that much pronoun-reversal at a young age with my spectrum kid, because back then, the little stinker just didn't speak much at all!
#9 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Pronoun reversal is definitely part of typical development. Most typically developing kids resolve the issues by the time they're 2 or 2 1/2. Giftedness, apparently, has little to do with it.

Pronouns are just plain old confusing because they change. Ever try to explain pronouns? I'm "I" when I talk, but I'm "you" when you talk. You're "I" when you talk, but "you" when I talk. Dizzy yet :?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#10 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks! That was pretty much my only surviving concern with DS, so it seems everything he does is normal.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#11 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Took my second dd a LONG time to get it straight. I have no reason to believe she is on the spectrum.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 PM

My son that is on the spectrum reversed them well into his 4's.
#13 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM

My 4 1/2 yr old son, Porter has Autism. He also now has Pronoun reversal.

He likes to say; "Do you want a drink?" when he means that HE wants a drink.

Our speech therapist told us to say "No, I don't want a drink" and to get him to communicate HIS needs by holding up a flash card that reads:

'I WANT A ____.' He is supposed to read it and self correct without any verbal prompts from us.

She says he will continue to read the sentence and correlate it to what HE wants.

HTH...hugs!
#14 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My DS has apraxia of speech, and reverses pronouns. He's 3 years 9 months. His teachers said it is a very normal thing seen in kids without any diagnosis at all up til about 3.5.
#15 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
My 19mo is still reversing you and I. What I want to know is, is pronoun reversal a part of normal development, or any other condition besides autism?

My son is undeniably gifted. He is talking like a 2.5 to 3 YEAR old. I can ask him what he did today, and he can tell me accurately. But he still has a habit of reversing you and I. He handed me a teddy bear and said, "I hold it", 'I' meaning me. At the park he didn't like touching the sand and every time he touched the sand he held his hands up and said, "Wash your hands!" There was no one else at the park, but I thought, if there was another parent here who knew about autism, they would surely peg him autistic.

"Wash your hands!" has, in fact, become his favorite phrase. His sensory defensiveness has gotten worse lately. He even held a muffin between his wrists to eat it, because he didn't want to touch it with his hands.

So do non-autistic kids ever reverse pronouns?
i just happened on this post, but yes, reversing pronouns is completely normal. most 19 month olds don't even use pronouns. my 22 month old barely does. when she sees a picture of herself, she either calls it stella (her name) or "you"

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#16 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 AM

I see it's been answered already, but yes, they definitely do this as part of typical development. A friend's NT son who is... I guess 26 months is sometimes getting them right now, but still says "Mama nurse you" when he wants to nurse which is just unbelievably cute.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#17 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 AM

My Dd also says "hold you!" I love it. dh modeled "hold me" the other day for her, and it made me sad to think she might stop saying it that way. I've heard tons of kids say it that way and I couldn't wait to hear my own kids say that to me someday. So yeah, totally normal.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#18 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM

I have 2 gifted kids, and pronouns do seem to be the last thing to correct, even when they talk very very well.
#19 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM

DD did this till nearly 3 and is not autistic (though she does have SPD). She was a very early talker.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page