Kavinace experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our naturopath prescribed Kavinace for my son who's 3. It's made for an adult & it's supposed to help with his OCD/anxiety. Anyone have any good/bad experience with it? I can't really find any information on it on the web, except the standard bottle information.

: Jewel~ Mama to 4. Quilting & Sewing WAHM living a natural life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 AM

I've not heard of it but did a quick search because I need OCD help for my kiddo.
I found that it forms gaba (a good thing) in the brain possibly. Gaba is good but supplementing with straight gaba does have a problem with crossing blood/brain barrier. And the brain is where you need it. So I'm going to look more into the Phenibut. I found that the substance that forms the gaba, Phenibut, can be addictive but possibly does work. It looks like it is prescription in Russia. Try a google on it individually. Taurine some kids can't handle. My kids do fine with taurine. I've not looked at that dose of Taurine. So anyway, I'm interested. http://www.latitudes.org/forums/lofi...php?t4151.html I found this site discussing the Kavinace if you haven't seen it--some had used it with success then it looks like.
Interesting.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 05-02-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Rachelle, Thank you for the link. Looks like a good forum to join, too. One of my dd has tics. What does the acronym PANDA mean? It was mentioned on the forum posting.

: Jewel~ Mama to 4. Quilting & Sewing WAHM living a natural life.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:44 PM

PANDAS is strep bacteria induced OCD and tics. It's a really sudden onset of severe symptoms after a strep infection.

If you decide to try it please let me know what you think.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM

I know this is a reply to an older post, but I also curious if anyone is using Kavinace. We have had 8YO DD on it for about a month. Would also like to discuss if anyone is using Melatonin?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Kavinase experience.
I have used it , but I am an adult. I am NOT A DOCTOR OR ANY TYPE OF HEALTH PROFESSIONAL so I am only giving you my personal experience:

First of all there are 3 ingredients. Taurine, B6 and "4 amino 3....." look at the label sorry I dont feel like typing it out.

check out the side effects for each one by themselves.

As an adult weighing about 125 pouns just one kavinase per day is more than enough for me, so I am not sure what dose you are giving your child.
I personally feel overdosed on it if I take it more than 3 days in a row.
I just read that you should take some some of the ingredients that are in kavinase 2 days then take off 3 days. I think its interesting since even thought my doc said to take it every day 1-2 up to 3 times per day, I was already taking less and I feel that
with one dose prior to bedtime, I would say 1-2 hours at least.
I have much less anxiety, much better sleep.
but I feel graugy in the morning and a bit overdosed specially if I take it 3 days in a row.
the days I dont take it i still feel ok....

One way you may want to do it is to take since I weigh 120ish.

1 pill X Your childs' weight/120 lbs = fraction of the pill to take. so if the body weight is 60 pounds give half pill once a day at night.
BUT CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.

GOOD LUCK.AND god bless..

also kavinase makes you drowsy so be careful when taking during the day, i recommend not taking it during the day.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM

We have been using Kavinace for our 10 yr old (approx 60 lbs) since last Nov. She has ADD and was beset with problems sleeping, anxiety, moodiness, etc. We are using in conjunction with some other suppliments (sublingual B12, for example).

We give 1 capsule in a.m. and 1 at bedtime. We had hoped to replace the liquid melatonin, but we still need a reduced dose (approx 10 drops) to ensure a full night of uninterrupted sleep.

Our results have been very positive. Less anxiety at school, decreased emotional junk when adderall is wearing off, etc. We have not noticed any grogginess, etc., or adverse side effects.

User Tag List