melatonin dose?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i'm really close to trying melatonin on dd. i gave it to her last year (once), and she fell asleep quickly, but woke 45 minutes later, and never seemed able to get back to sleep ALL night . it was weird, and made me think it wasn't right for her. well, her dev ped wants me to try again, and i'm willing to give it one more shot. last time, i think i gave her .25 mg (she was almost 2), but don't know if that was the best dose. thoughts? TIA .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM

The smallest dose that works is the best dose for your child. Too high of a dose will make the child fall asleep and awaken after she is no longer in that deep sleep.

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#3 of 13 Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

that's what i thought, but then again, didn't know if last time maybe i'd given too *small* of a dose. so, should i try .25 mg again, or .5?

#4 of 13 Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM

My 2 1/2 yo takes 1/4 mg generally or 1/2 if she has taken a long nap during the day, my 8 year old takes 1 mg.
#5 of 13 Old 07-05-2009, 08:29 PM

My child started with .25 mg. when he was 3.5 and is still there at five though occasionally we bump up to .5 mg.

Waking 45 minutes later isn't consistent with a melatonin dose awakening as it generally wears off in about 3 hours. So if a person wakes as the dose leaves it's usually 3-4 hours in. So strange at 45 minutes especially given she did fall asleep very quickly. Melatonin also isn't usually extremely fast acting. So I'd call that more a melatonin failure (lack of response) than a dose issue.

I do think it's worth another try as maybe it was just a fluke. I'd do .25 one night and if you get a similar response/it doesn't work try .5. If it's the same maybe go up to .75 or even 1 mg but if that dose isn't successful I'd assume this isn't your answer. I suppose an extended release form might be worth a try too in case her body metabolizes it weirdly somehow.

Normally/without melatonin is her sleep issues falling asleep or staying asleep? Melatonin is better used for falling asleep issues.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your thoughts, ladies. rachelle, i agree that it seemed odd, and i'm certainly open to the very real possibility that it was a fluke. i will do like you said - .25, then .5 if needed, etc.
now comes the wacky other question - how do you decide when to give it to your kids? i know the response is always, "when they're tired." the problem is that it is sooooo hard to tell when dd is tired. honestly, it makes me feel like this clueless, out-of-touch mama, but it's like a giant crap shoot most of the time. i honestly watch her so closely, but she doesn't rub her eyes, doesn't yawn, doesn't slow down, etc., so i pretty much just guess. some days she acts classically tired, then doesn't fall asleep for hours. others she seems totally fine, then falls asleep really quickly - granted, that happens less often . i just feel so out of touch with her sleep, i don't know where to start. has anyone else ever had this experience?
as far as her patterns, she has a hard time falling asleep. once she's asleep nowadays, she sleeps for about three hours, then i just get in bed with her. once i'm laying there, she wakes here and there, but nothing significant.
#7 of 13 Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 PM

I give it about 20 minutes before we start the (rather short) bedtime routine for my toddler, so about 30 min before I want her asleep. It seems to take that long to affect her, then doing the routine seals the deal. She shows no signs of being classically tired either, we say she's our Energizer bunny, she just keeps going and going and going... lol With her we gave it every night for awhile, starting around 2 because she just would not sleep and we were going insane. Now she actually associates the bedtime routine with sleep and we don't need it unless she naps.

DS gets one if he has trouble falling asleep, at his request.
#8 of 13 Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for marvel we use about 1/8 a mg (a half mg tablet cut into quarters) and sometimes we give her another 1/8 mg at 3am when she wakes up.

'herbs for kids - valerian super calm' has worked way better for her as far as helping her stay asleep.

we (very rarely) give jet 1/8 to 1/4 mg of melatonin and it always works great for him. his trouble is always with winding down to sleep though and never with staying asleep.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
It could be a fluke, but I know that I react that way to melatonin. I have tried it 3 times now, and I was actually up the entire night. It was awful. So my suggestion would be to try a lower dose and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work, you can use valerian root with kids very safely, though that too can have the opposite effect with some people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM

I've noticed here and there that it seems like melatonin works for people that valerian doesn't and vice versa. Keep in mind that melatonin simply isn't the answer for all. It's been great for my son and myself but it wakes my mom up.

For Andrew (who actually gets more and more wired the more fatigued he is at night) I just keep a consistent reasonable bedtime. The same time (within a half hour) most nights. I picked it mostly based on his brother's patterns as Andrew didnt' seem to have his own. I personally don't think it matters when/you don't have to figure her out. I think the melatonin together with the consistent time has helped regulate him in that area over the years. I see him wind down now close to bedtime even before we do melatonin though when he realizes it he fights it/tries to wake himself.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayma View Post
how do you decide when to give it to your kids? i know the response is always, "when they're tired." the problem is that it is sooooo hard to tell when dd is tired. honestly, it makes me feel like this clueless, out-of-touch mama, but it's like a giant crap shoot most of the time. i honestly watch her so closely, but she doesn't rub her eyes, doesn't yawn, doesn't slow down, etc., so i pretty much just guess.

i just feel so out of touch with her sleep, i don't know where to start. has anyone else ever had this experience?

I also start about 20 mins before bed, which seems perfect. I know exactly what you mean about feeling out of touch with your child's sleep. I think it's easy to feel this way when sleep is an issue for your kiddo. One thing that helped for me was to assume that my child was sleepier earlier than I thought, and then move right into establishing a consistent bedtime routine from there (which often can include melatonin). It might seem rigid, but it's given us a sense over time of what sleepiness feels/looks like, and sets the stage for night time being sleep time. I think the routine is part of what allows the relaxation.
#12 of 13 Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

okay, so what would a sample sleep day look like at your houses - wake time, nap, bedtime, etc??
#13 of 13 Old 07-08-2009, 02:16 AM

I only use .25 mg for myself, as I am very sensitive to it.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page