mthfr mutation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi
I have 3 boys, twin 5 year olds on the spectrum and an nt 2 year old. I just found out one twin is positive for one copy of the c677t mthfr mutation and the other is positive for two copies of the c677t. I just got my two year old tested and are waiting on test results. we tested him because he is due to have surgery on his mouth in 2 weeks and I know this can affect what anesthesia should be used.

So, anyone have any info on this? Someone told me the child with the two copies should see a hematologist asap because there can be blood clotting problems. I brought it up to the ped. but he didn't think it was necessary but also admitted he didn't know much about this mutation in kids. I am not one that needs to chase every possibility down but I don't want to miss something important.

Any info would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 AM

Hi,

I don't know much about the mthfr mutation in boys. In girls, it can make the chances of miscarriage more likely - but I don't think it has this effect if the father has the mutation. It is related to clotting disorders, but I don't think you usually do anything about it - i.e., I don't think it's generally considered serious enough to treat. I can't remember any more, but I think a huge percentage of the population has this and doesn't know about it. The impression I had is that it is harmless except for the miscarriage issue, but you could always get an appt with a hemotologist to put your mind at ease.
#3 of 12 Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM

There is someone in the allergy forum with this. I can't remember who unfortunately. Do a search there and I'm sure it will come up.

HTH

Martha
#4 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 AM

I know this post was from way back..but I have this mutation.

It *may* have contributed to my many miscarriages, although genetic deletions/syndromes are much more likely. We know it likely caused me to have a serious placental abruption and high blood pressure w/ds1's pregnancy (he was born at 29 weeks). In my second pregnancy, it may have contributed to my low amniotic fluid (may have had in first pregnancy, too, but was undx'd) and another early delivery.

They don't know much about this in kids. It is a common genetic mutation. It has been seen in at least one study that there is an increased risk of depression/anxiety/bipolar disorder w/the MTHFR mutation, and it has been seen in many to be associated w/high blood pressure and blood clots (ones that contribute to DVT's and clots in the placenta). There are several different types of this mutation, and some are more harmful than others.

Treatment is folate (sold OTC by Solgar as Metafolin or prescription in a few medical supplements like Metanx) and baby aspirin (only if a doctor who knows about MTHFR prescribes!), and in pregnancy, sometimes additional blood thinners. Many doc recommend fish oil be taken daily as well. I will be on folate and fish oil for the rest of my life, and take aspirin when pregnant. I'm watched carefully for blood clots--which I did have w/my recent pregnancy--and if needed, will take blood thinners during pregnancy.

Don't know anything about anesthesia being a special risk, as I've had 4 major surgeries, and this has NEVER come up.

hths

mrsfru
#5 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi. Thank you for the info. Since this posting I have become more familiar with the mutation and anesthesia definitely plays a part and is something you need to tell your dr's and anesthesiologists. And unfortunately, don't expect them to know about it even when you bring it up to them. At the children's hospital the anesthesiologist was familiar with it and said he would not use any Nitrous oxide (the body has a hard time clearing it with the mutation and it can raise homocysteine levels). When my other son went to the dentist he didn't know about it and was kind of a jerk about it so I don't plan on going there-just because he doesn't know doesn't make it right you know? Then my 3rd son who also has the double mutation had surgery and the anesthesiologist didn't know about it either but he was great about it and said he wouldn't use NO and there were lots of alternatives.

I some links saved about it but my computer crashed. If you do a search on nitrous oxide and mthfr you should find some articles.

Thanks again!
#6 of 12 Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM

Ahh...yes, the Nitrous...I read about that a while back. Nitrous has never been used in any of my surgeries (3 under general, no nitrous that I'm aware of, and 1 used a spinal b/c it was a planned c-section). BUT any time I've had to have cavities filled, I've had a heck of time w/the nitrous...the tiniest amount makes me so drunk that I can't really do anything for hours. I couldn't even tell the tech to turn it down last time, b/c I couldn't move my hands to even wave at her. I'll never do that again. If I need more dental work, they'll have to figure out something else!

(-:

mrsfru
#7 of 12 Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Dr. Amy Yasko dot com has a lot of information about this and other genetic mutations.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#8 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 AM

I am homozygous for MTHFR as our my children. A hematologist recommended 1 mg of folate for them (plus multivitamin). Evidence of Harm by David Kirby discusses a study that found that MTHFR children are far more apt to develop autism/heavy metal poisoning after vaccines.
#9 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I am homozygous for MTHFR as our my children. A hematologist recommended 1 mg of folate for them (plus multivitamin). Evidence of Harm by David Kirby discusses a study that found that MTHFR children are far more apt to develop autism/heavy metal poisoning after vaccines.
Yes, but "folate" is only available in very few supplements, b/c it's been patented as Metafolin. Are there other sources of true, folate? I'd love to know! Thanks!

Also, I'm not surprised about the autism/metals, etc. In order to break down formaldehyde (which is both naturally present in our environment as a biproduct of mold growth, etc, AND chemically present from Scotchguard, some paint, glues, drywall, etc), your body needs to have enough folate. For years before we knew about the MTHFR mutation, I suffered w/terrible chemical sensitivities, mainly to formaldehyde.

I'm sure there's more out there related to these types of mutations.

(-:

mrsfru
#10 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM

My understanding is you want to look for 5-Methyl-tetrahydrofolate. We use 1/4 tablet intrinsi B12/folate by metagenics and b-complex #5 by Thorne. Metigenics also has Actifolate which is the 5-Methyl-tetrahydrofolate along with 5-formly tetrahydrofolate.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#11 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of our doctors recommended Deplin (L-Methylfolate) because it works immediately and the side effects are minimal. It is a prescription medicine for suboptimal folate levels in depressed patients. But there is off label use of the med for those who have the MTHFR mutation.
In case anyone is interested, here is the difference between Deplin v. folic acid.
http://www.deplin.com/DeplinFacts,VsFolicAcid

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#12 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Right now we are using the 5-MTHF by Thorne.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page