Bipolar headcount - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading here (lot of searches through older posts) And was just curious to see how many parents here have a dx of Bipolar disorder for their children.
My 8 yr old daughter has SID, ADD, & Now has been dx w Bipolar Disorder. I would like to know who you mommies are so I can 'network' and ask for & share Information while we get her meds straight. & journey through this life. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Carter is 7 and will likely be dx'ed with bipolar. He's had lots of dx's on the way to this one - OCD, GAD, SPD, ADHD. He's not stable now and hasn't been for quite awhile, so we're definitely looking forward to/hoping for a quiet period very soon!

computergeek2.gif

Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Hi. I usually come on MDC for my baby stuff, but I have a 13 yr old bipolar son and it would be very nice to meet other like-minded mamas going through similar things.

My son was dx with Bipolar-NOS last December. He also started with a dx of GAD and OCD at age 4. He takes Celexa and Abilify. He sees a counselor and a psychiatrist, but he is not currently stable. He has huge random outbursts of rage and becomes physically and verbally violent during them, then returns to calm and happy when its over. His behaviors started about age 3 and have waxed and waned his whole life until the onset of puberty which really exacerbated everything. Its much worse now that he's a teen. He lives with his bio-dad currently even though I have custody as his dad is better able to handle his violent outbursts that I am now that DS is physically bigger than me. I also needed his dad to get on board with treatment as he tended to blame everything on my parenting. A few months of him living there and he realized it wasn't a parenting issue. I have him on weekends but recently he went into a rage and assaulted me when I wouldn't let him use the telephone and I had to call the police to help since my DH was not home. Now he is not allowed to be here when DH isn't here.

You would never know by looking at him that we have been through all this. He is a sweet, well-spoken, funny, and kind-hearted kid, but when he cycles its hell. I wish I could say meds work great, but I am not convinced. He is worse without them, but they definitely don't make him "all better".

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama4 View Post
You would never know by looking at him that we have been through all this. He is a sweet, well-spoken, funny, and kind-hearted kid, but when he cycles its hell. I wish I could say meds work great, but I am not convinced. He is worse without them, but they definitely don't make him "all better".
Sometimes that's the hardest part - seeing the sweet, genuine kid get trampled, KWIM? Carter can be just the sweetest, most loving little boy sometimes, and then BAM!, all hell breaks loose. Or maybe we see the self-loathing side of the illness, which is the worst part of it by far. And then I just weep for the REAL person who I know is suffering under all of it.

I understand exactly why you sent your DS to live with his father. We get that "If you'd just discipline him..." business pretty often. Sometimes people just need to experience it for themselves. We're visiting my ILs ATM and they've had an eye-opening experience! They've witnessed 3 episodes plus generalized anxiety over the past few days and they're finally seeing that this isn't about me and DH indulging Carter or just letting him do what he wants.

We're a blended family; I have a 15 and a 13 year old who now live mostly with their father because life with Carter has gotten so hard. DH's 12 year old hasn't changed his schedule yet, but he keeps considering it. It absolutely kills us to let them go, but we feel like we have to let them go where life is more normal.

And meds? They make things better, but not normal. They make Carter more stable, a little calmer, but they can't make him feel comfortable. His therapist is a wonder, a generous and intelligent man who wants very badly to help, and that's a blessing. I won't lie; this disease scares the hell out of me.

computergeek2.gif

Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is 8.5 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and anxiety disorder 17 months ago. He id doing a lot better now but things still aren't great. He is currently on lithium and risperdal but we are probably going to switch him to seroquel instead of risperdal. The risperdal doesn't seem to be controlling things well enough and now he is starting to have major sleep problems so the seroquel will hopefully work better. He has also tried depakote but that really messed him up so we took him off it. I have to go now but I can talk more later. I know a ton about navigating through the system, especially because I also have bipolar disorder and was diagnosed as an adolescent.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post

I understand exactly why you sent your DS to live with his father.
Thank you. I know it was necessary, but I sometimes feel like I am letting him down. His dad is not the greatest role model, but he is at least willing to try and DS is actually doing ok there (in school, passing grades, has some friends). We too did it in great part to give the other boys a more normal life. And it actually probably is better for Alex. Regular family life and the chaos of other kids is hard for him to cope with and sets him off. I think that is why he often has more trouble here than at his dad's where its just him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
We're a blended family; I have a 15 and a 13 year old who now live mostly with their father because life with Carter has gotten so hard. DH's 12 year old hasn't changed his schedule yet, but he keeps considering it. It absolutely kills us to let them go, but we feel like we have to let them go where life is more normal.
That is so hard. Being so close in age too, you've got all the regular teenage hormone stuff plus the bipolar stuff! My boys love their brother but they are glad he isn't living here, though they actually are spending every weekend with him whether here or there (well were up until the assault incident since Alex hasn't been here for a few weeks). I think it is VERY stressful on the siblings. I have been thinking of asking their dad is he would consider an alternate arrangement so the boys are only all together every other weekend instead of every weekend. I wonder if that would help. A lot of our conflicts with Alex start with a sibling issue.

And yeah, it scares the hell out of me too. Especially know that he is big - like almost adult size. The tantrums are not a nuisance anymore, they're dangerous.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I know a ton about navigating through the system, especially because I also have bipolar disorder and was diagnosed as an adolescent.
You will have a great insight to contribute. Thank you. I already have questions for you! But its late and I need to go to bed. so they'll have to wait.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Count me in. DS is 7.5 and has been diagnosed for about a year. I feel he is fairly stable now on Abilify and Tenex. By that I mean doing well and making gains in school, no psychosis, very little depression and self-loathing. He still can have rages, but not daily, and he is exhibiting more self-control. I have seen him pick up something to throw at me, realize it's dangerous, put it down, and pick up a stuffed animal to throw. So he's still throwing things sometimes, but clearly making choices.

I also love his therapist - he sees her weekly. We are all basking in the glow of wonderful progress. I feel much better, but I'm still scared to think of what could be around the corner. Generally, I feel like a horror movie will never scare me again, because I have lived through fear, confusion and horror that makes most other things pale by comparison.

And I agree with what other people have expressed. He is a wonderful person and I adore him. He is not his diagnosis. But it sure makes things hard on both him and us (especially his 12 year old sister.)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM

I gave up on this forum a couple years ago because I never found anyone going through what we do.... Today I feel like I hit the jackpot!

My son is 9 and not formally diagnosed with bipolar but just labeled "mood disorder". He was on depakote for 4 years and recently taken off that. Risperdale wasn't great beyond the 2 week honeymoon I think every new pill gives - but it turned my skeleton boy to overweight in just 7 months!

I have started him on some of the 'homeopathic' (not sure if that's correct to call it) in addition to the meds: Gabba, fish ois and a multivitamin. I may try Ginkgo but not for a couple more years. He's on Vyvanse (adhd), just .5 of Risperdale (down from 2) and Zoloft.

I worry about him hitting puberty and how things could intensify. He is already obsessed with violent talk of killing and machine guns.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 AM

Can we open up this thread again?

I have a 13 year old son who was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.
He spent 7 weeks attending a Day Treatment program at our local
mental hospital (for lack of better word).

He loved it there. Isn't that strange? He had only a few problems.

At home, it is his 9 year old sisters that annoy him and drive him to
the brink. I am always worried about his explosive behaviour and
since he is now my height or more, and more than half my weight,
it is a challenge every single day.

After his hospital day treatment stay, he was discharged to a
step-down program, and we have been doing that since July.
My son has state health and they have just told me that they
will not pay for that care anymore. I'm terrified of what will
happen to my son and my girls, if he doesn't get any more intense
therapy (3 times per week). He does have a new counselor (tomarrow
will be the 2nd time he goes) and a new psych, because his old
psych stopped accepting state insurance. He was very difficult
last night because he was nervous to see the counselor again, and
doesn't understand why he needs to see him, or what he will say.
He was very edgy last night, and this was all due to his nervous
feeling about it.

I'm sad. I used to hold this little boy in my arms and comfort him,
care for him, and he is so quiet now. He just doesn't respond to
anything going on unless it causes him stress.

His father is not helping either, because he tells my son that
one day he should be able to stop the meds, and that Bipolar
diagnoses WILL go away! None of this is true...not at all.

My son is caught up in psychosis (deeply), anxiousness, fearful of
everything and everyone outside of our home. Lacks trust in the
counselors, I think may be delusional. He has no basis in reality
at this time. He worries that while we are driving down the interstate
that another driver may turn their car towards us and kill us all.

I'm really stressed out. The special 3 day a week counselor just
recently said to me, "You see really stressed out, what's going on?".
I wanted to shout, "What's going on is that I am alone in this nightmare
and you are the professional that should understand that!" But I didn't,
because he was a new graduate, and a stand in for counseling. He
just doesn't have enough experience in his job to understand the family
life when someone with bipolar is involved.

My son started showing unusual signs of problems since he was 2. My
then husband didn't believe me, thought I needed to just give him
time to settle in (newly adopted at age 1). My heart knew different,
and when he was three, he began down the path of the many diagnoses,
starting with RAD, the ODD, then so many...and now he has classic
rapid cycling bipolal.

I just need a hug right now. I spend a great deal of time trying to de-fuse
my son. It is exhausting.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post

I just need a hug right now. I spend a great deal of time trying to de-fuse
my son. It is exhausting.

BTDT My dd is 9 and was finally dx'd with Bipolar 1 back in Feb after I just couldn't take it anymore and dragged her back to the psych after a year or so of not receiving services (I just didn't see the point since they didn't seem to help) and finally accepted medication. I also had to remove her from the home for 3 months at that point because she was manic and very violent, with meds things got a lot better.

I still have days where I want to rip my hair out dealing with the kids, especially since they feed off each other and dd spends most of her time manic which is just exhausting. Right now she's on Lamictal and Risperdal.

I'm glad the BP families are coming out of the woodwork, I have been raked over the coals quite a few times at MDC when posting at my wits end and judged as just being a really horrible mom because obviously its my fault my kid acts this way Its nice to hear from mama's who know the path we walk and understand rather then just judge you as a crappy parent.

Seriously?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 AM

Anyone else have more than one child with bipolar? My almost 9 year old is bipolar and also has anxiety disorder. My almost 7 year old seems completely fine, no issues to speak of. My almost 4 year old. Yikes. She has all the same symptoms that her brother had at that age and then some. I know that the genetic risk when one parent has it (me) is 15-30% but seriously, two kids with it? That just seems so wrong. At this moment we aren't seeking treatment for her because it's hard to find treatment under the age of 6 but the older she gets the more I am convinced.

Does anyone else's child have hallucinations? My youngest seems to be having hallucinations. She is constantly screaming about bugs being on everything and she keeps her older sister awake at night because she stays up talking to "the people in her room." It really freaks me out! My son has had hallucinations but not this severe and he is mostly stable now on Lithium and Risperdal.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Anyone else have more than one child with bipolar? My almost 9 year old is bipolar and also has anxiety disorder. My almost 7 year old seems completely fine, no issues to speak of. My almost 4 year old. Yikes. She has all the same symptoms that her brother had at that age and then some. I know that the genetic risk when one parent has it (me) is 15-30% but seriously, two kids with it? That just seems so wrong. At this moment we aren't seeking treatment for her because it's hard to find treatment under the age of 6 but the older she gets the more I am convinced.

Does anyone else's child have hallucinations? My youngest seems to be having hallucinations. She is constantly screaming about bugs being on everything and she keeps her older sister awake at night because she stays up talking to "the people in her room." It really freaks me out! My son has had hallucinations but not this severe and he is mostly stable now on Lithium and Risperdal.
Some days I wonder about my 3 yr old, 2 different psychs have commented on her extreme energy level and impulsiveness and have advised I keep an eye on it since its considered outside the range of normal, especially in light of dd's BP1 dx. She's intense but no where near what dd #1 was like at that age. Could your dd just have a really active imagination? Does she know the people are not real? I had lots of imaginary friends as a kid, I still have a very vivid imagination and can spend hours immersed in it but I know its not real but its still great fun to let my mind wander and watch the scene unfold in my head. Now as an adult I know better then to open my mouth and talk out loud but as a kid I'm sure everyone heard about "Twinkie" who lived underground and I would spend hours trying to dig him up I miss him, he was great fun in childhood

Seriously?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Some days I wonder about my 3 yr old, 2 different psychs have commented on her extreme energy level and impulsiveness and have advised I keep an eye on it since its considered outside the range of normal, especially in light of dd's BP1 dx. She's intense but no where near what dd #1 was like at that age. Could your dd just have a really active imagination? Does she know the people are not real? I had lots of imaginary friends as a kid, I still have a very vivid imagination and can spend hours immersed in it but I know its not real but its still great fun to let my mind wander and watch the scene unfold in my head. Now as an adult I know better then to open my mouth and talk out loud but as a kid I'm sure everyone heard about "Twinkie" who lived underground and I would spend hours trying to dig him up I miss him, he was great fun in childhood
No, she definitely thinks they are real. She is frightened of the people and she yells at them and gets in arguments with them when she is lying in bed at night. Her older sister tells us that she hears her talking in the middle of the night and she knows she is not talking in her sleep because Olivia will tell her to be quiet and Eliana will tell Olivia to make the people go away. And the bugs she is terrified of. She has many, many, many more symptoms than just that. If it was just that I wouldn't be worried. Living with her is stressful 24/7. She is a wonderful, bright little girl but unfortunately she is a wonderful, bright little girl with major issues. When Elijah was diagnosed in April 2008 the social worker who came in our home as part of his assessment team told me to watch out for Eliana because she saw signs then and she was only 2.5 years old at the time. It is very worrisome.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:03 AM
2xy

I like to tell my little story just to spread awareness. I would hate for anyone to deal with what we went through.

My DS was always explosive. He was labeled with ADHD/ODD at age 5. By the time he was 7, he was showing symptoms of depression. We tried behavior modification, family counseling, individual counseling, and meds. He was on several different meds and none of them really helped....they took the edge off, but that was it. By the time he was 11, his diagnosis was changed to "possibly bipolar."

I suspected he had a sleep disorder. They run in my family and he was complaining of symptoms that sounded like RLS. But since he was thin and didn't snore, nobody would take me seriously. They just kept telling me that kids with ADHD have sleep issues. I thought that maybe sleep issues make you look like you have ADHD.

Anyway, I finally got a doc to refer him for a sleep study, and he was diagnosed with moderate-severe sleep apnea at age 13. Long story short, he underwent surgery to remove his tonsils and adenoids, and his repeat sleep study was within normal limits. He's a different person now. Lack of restful sleep can cause all sorts of behavioral issues....poor concentration, irritability, depressed mood, yada yada yada.

User Tag List