Crohn's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure if this goes here or in healthy eating.... I know the mamas of special needs are some of the most informed mamas around.. so I'm trying it here first... sorry and please move if needed.

My daughter's best friend has been battling Crohn's since April. Several hospital trips, one as long as 22 days. She's doing well for now.. still has her PIK line and is getting her TPM 12 hours a day, lots of meds and some really uneducated kids who tease her.

So she has to eat... and sometimes she's at our house. So far her trigger foods are gluten, dairy, spicy and too much fat and sugar, and her family does not do red or pork. (no fried stuff) help a friend out with stuff to stock at our place.

I have done and these foods are ok
Mashed spuds
Apple, peeled, sliced with peanut butter
Banana with peanut butter
various gluten free snacks.
grilled chicken, fish,

rice flour apple sauce, banana bread.. it was actually pretty yummy

coconut bliss.. omg.. that is some serious good stuff.

soy milk, steamed with sugar free carmel syrup... which she is now totally hooked on and drinking two a day.. yeah

I am looking to have a bunch of different stuff to have on hand for when she is over.. I hope we are the "safe" house and friends to be with.

And of course I want it to be stuff I feed all the kids... so she is not odd man out here.

Hit me with ideas.... please///////
#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

I can cook...
my food budget is rather large..
I really really really want this sweet kiddo to feel at home here...

And of course I will run all the items suggested by Mom and Dad... this is a huge learning process for all of us..
#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Banned

Colitis and crohn's. Fun times I remember well. Sarcastically meant. (I have no more large intestine from colitis.)

Avoid roughage too, like salads, corn, and uncooked broccoli.

Chicken and fish are good. The B12 in salmon is awesome.

For a nice treat, keep some Lactaid ice cream on hand. Lactaid doesn't have the lactose that causes the milk intolerance.

Get some rice flour to use for making cupcakes. This is gluten-free.

It's a leaning curve for sure, one I'm glad I no loner have to follow, but it was a part of life for a long time. If there's anything I can do to help you figure things out, let me know. I turned on e-mail notification for this post.
#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Noelle.
I'm sorry you have had remove your large intestine... that must have been scarey and hard.

My MIL has colitis.. but she just has the shooting out her A__ effects if she drinks too much or doesnt watch her diet.. no corn or fried foods for her.

Coconut bliss is a coconut milk icecream.. really good. My husband installed their phone line and they gave him lots of samples and treats. You would never guess that you were not eating a full fat ben and jerry's.
http://www.coconutbliss.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page