Social Security Disability? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, just got my first check, actually it was 2 checks, one from last month. It took us 1 and a 1/2 months from the initial online app I filled out.

Pretty bittersweet, the money will help but it also remind me that I have a kid sick enough to get it!

wife. dd1 : dd2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Ok, just got my first check, actually it was 2 checks, one from last month. It took us 1 and a 1/2 months from the initial online app I filled out.

Pretty bittersweet, the money will help but it also remind me that I have a kid sick enough to get it!
Did they mention that the back pay has to be put into a special account and can only be used to expenses directly related to the approved disability? It has some crazy rules like you can't use it to pay utilities or buy a car but can use it to pay for therapy or medical items. Made no sense how its done and it only applies to the back pay portion. I hope they finally got rid of that, I know some people getting a couple of years worth of back pay then still being in trouble because they can't use that money to pay the darn rent.

Seriously?
#33 of 57 Old 10-03-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Did they mention that the back pay has to be put into a special account and can only be used to expenses directly related to the approved disability? It has some crazy rules like you can't use it to pay utilities or buy a car but can use it to pay for therapy or medical items. Made no sense how its done and it only applies to the back pay portion. I hope they finally got rid of that, I know some people getting a couple of years worth of back pay then still being in trouble because they can't use that money to pay the darn rent.
Crap, they didnt. Ill call the lady on Monday and ask. Thanks for the heads up.

#34 of 57 Old 10-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I have never heard this. They told me if I put any SSI into an account and have it sitting there, it becomes an asset, and I need to spend it all.
My Dh's uncle got over 50K in back pay and used it to buy a mobile home and a car.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#35 of 57 Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKelly View Post
I have never heard this. They told me if I put any SSI into an account and have it sitting there, it becomes an asset, and I need to spend it all.
My Dh's uncle got over 50K in back pay and used it to buy a mobile home and a car.
Maybe it varies by state? I know several people in CA who were told this.

Seriously?
#36 of 57 Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe it varies by state? I know several people in CA who were told this.
Ya, maybe. I just realized I got back pay 2 months ago, and was never told this then either.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#37 of 57 Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
This is only true if the money is a very large amount. They would have told you if it had to be put in an account. We received back pay of nearly $1500 and it did not need to be put in an account.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#38 of 57 Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Ok, I went to the SS office today and asked the lady how Im supposed to track my spending on this and she said not to. She said that Ill get a form at the end of the year and I just put "Housing $1600, food $700", etc. She said that I should NOT worry about it.

I DID have to make a separate acct at the bank but transferred half the money into my checking right when I opened the acct. No holds, no problem transferring.

#39 of 57 Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 AM

This is a great thread. I have two children with BiPolar Disorder. I've applied for SSI one of them, because he can't attend school (serious behavioural problems), and I can't work due to him. I am able to attend a few births a year, but basically, I'm at home with him.

I don't know if he was approved, but after all the info sent in, I am still waiting. I applied on July 9th, and he has had two visits with doctors that they paid for. I thought for sure they would have taken care of it by then. I called to talk to the disability examiner, and they are still waiting for the report from the last doctor. Also, when I spoke to her, she asked me about my son's diagnoses for his congenital cataract. She said it has to be documented and explored, even though that is not the reason for the SSI. So, they had to contact the pediatric opthamologist to get those records, THEN they would look everything over.

I'm anxious to know. If they approve him, they will approve my daughter too, and then I will apply for her.

Can anyone tell me if in-home childcare payments exist in all states, or in CA?
I'd love to receive addition monies for his care. Right now, the children get child support from their father, and my occassional clients..that is how we are making it. : (

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#40 of 57 Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Also, if they approve it, will he get a check in the middle of the month, or on the first?

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#41 of 57 Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 AM

Just wanted to thank all the posters- this thread is great. Ds is 27 months and still undiagnosed, but I am thinking of investigating this again. We have a tough time with accessing some resources because he takes his elemental formula from a bottle, and hasn't needed a g-tube yet.
#42 of 57 Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
Just wanted to thank all the posters- this thread is great. Ds is 27 months and still undiagnosed, but I am thinking of investigating this again. We have a tough time with accessing some resources because he takes his elemental formula from a bottle, and hasn't needed a g-tube yet.
I've found WIC (which you get access to by way of medicaid from SSI) covers up to 10 cans of the elementals (depending on brand) for that age group, but at least in Florida, you have to have a tube for Medicaid to cover the other part. Though I think there are other agencies then that might kick in. For us, 10 cans is more than half her monthly intake. also, we only have to certify when we change amounts upwards enough to get another can so maybe a temporary NG tube would help you if you still had issues
#43 of 57 Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
It should be averaged, so that there isn't a discrepancy for the extra paychecks.
nope - no averaging. it is entirely off of how much money you have to live on that month.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#44 of 57 Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

So do you have to have an actual condition? DD has a chromosomal abnormality, but it's so rare we don't know what to expect (it has no name). Does that mean they won't approve us for this?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#45 of 57 Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
So do you have to have an actual condition? DD has a chromosomal abnormality, but it's so rare we don't know what to expect (it has no name). Does that mean they won't approve us for this?
It should not matter that is has no name. Rare or not, most (all?) chromosome disorders will qualify.
#46 of 57 Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Raene, we just listed our dd2s problems cause we dont have an official dx

#47 of 57 Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM

It doesn't matter if there's a name, what matters is its effect on normal life activities. B/c eating is a normal life activity that DD can not take part in effectively, she qualifies. We don't have a name or even a reason
#48 of 57 Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Raene, have you gone to talk to benefits counselors at FLIC? They may have a much better idea of an answer to this question.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#49 of 57 Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Raene, have you gone to talk to benefits counselors at FLIC? They may have a much better idea of an answer to this question.
I haven't, isn't that awful of me? There's just so much going on. We have an appt with EI next Tuesday for yet another eval, and the following week we have our Social Security interview.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#50 of 57 Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle View Post
Our middle child, who has Autsim, receives SSI. Our oldest, who has ADHD and emotional/behavioral problems, also receives SSI. The oldest just got approved in July.

I was not sure if the older one would qualify, but he did.

I do appreciate the monetary assistance and the Medicaid, but it is not "easy money". They can check bank accounts, and you must report everything you have of value, like cars, etc. You are allowed one vehicle that doesn't count, but any others cannot exceed your asset limit. ($3000 per couple) Then, there are the few who know about it, who think we are rich or something.

I am hoping to find a decent job with benefits so we don't have to rely on it any longer.
Can someone help me here? We have one child with autism. DH is a teacher and when I applied he was the only one working and made CRAP---like 32k per yr. We had 1 car, and have some $ in 401k's but not much. We were denied and told our income was too HIGH. I appealed and never heard from them again. I have considered re applying but don't know if it's worth it.

I know someone who has the same situation as I, about the same income, child with autism, etc. They qualify because they are not married and they only claim her and her son and don't mention the father's income. They have been able actually buy a NEW car, a laptop, buy organic foods, eat out 1-3 xper week. This is all way more than we can afford yet they are receiving benefits?

I don't mean to hijack the thread but am hoping you experts can help out with those of us who are really struggling yet can't seem to qualify. It doesn't make sense. We have a case worker, my son is in special ed. and before kindergarten I could not work b.c it was all so stressful and there was no one we could trust/find to care for ds let alone pay for it. How do we do this?

Anyone?
#51 of 57 Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie View Post
Can someone help me here? We have one child with autism. DH is a teacher and when I applied he was the only one working and made CRAP---like 32k per yr. We had 1 car, and have some $ in 401k's but not much. We were denied and told our income was too HIGH. I appealed and never heard from them again. I have considered re applying but don't know if it's worth it.

I know someone who has the same situation as I, about the same income, child with autism, etc. They qualify because they are not married and they only claim her and her son and don't mention the father's income. They have been able actually buy a NEW car, a laptop, buy organic foods, eat out 1-3 xper week. This is all way more than we can afford yet they are receiving benefits?

I don't mean to hijack the thread but am hoping you experts can help out with those of us who are really struggling yet can't seem to qualify. It doesn't make sense. We have a case worker, my son is in special ed. and before kindergarten I could not work b.c it was all so stressful and there was no one we could trust/find to care for ds let alone pay for it. How do we do this?

Anyone?
I would reapply- it can't hurt you know.

In my work life, many of the kids I have as clients receive SSI benefits. One family who struggle to get by were FINALLY approved. There was never any question that their child's disability would be questioned- but the working parent made a bit too much (but still they struggle to pay bills, they don't have any extras and there is NO way both parents could be working without sending their child to an institution to live) Anyway, they finally got approved but the amount they receive is miniscule compared to what others receive.

it must be hard to see others getting benefits that you aren't able to get.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#52 of 57 Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622 View Post
I would reapply- it can't hurt you know.

it must be hard to see others getting benefits that you aren't able to get.

THanks for the advice and sympathy

Yes, it is really tough to know that someone is cheating the system. Esp, when we don't qualify for anything else based on income yet we are so low income it's sick! sorry to vent------
#53 of 57 Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Ds has been on SSI for years.He was born with Tetralogy of Fallot,a congenital heart defect,and has Asperger's and also a microdeletion of his 2nd chromosome.We only knew about the TOF at the time he was approved.No one told us he would have been eligible from birth,we were told about it when he was about 4.He was approved within a few months,the first time we applied.They will take into account if you are getting discounted rent.We live in my dad's apartment house,and he was with me when I went to the appt.They asked him how much the apt was worth if fixed up,and took the difference out of ds's check.So instead of the total of about $713 that he should get,he gets $567.I have to call and get that fixed,as I am on SSI now too and this worker asked what the rent was,not what the apt is worth fixed up.It needs a lot of work,and is barely worth what my rent is.I get the full total of about $713 for myself.

My SSI claim took about 2 years,I think 3 denials before I hired a lawyer.They still owe me about $5000 in back payments,which I should see around November or so.I also wanted to let others know,at least in RI,if a parent is on SSI,the children automatically qualify for cash assistance(welfare) if they are not on SSI.They don't advertise this!You have to apply through the dept of human services.Ds and I get our SSI,and dd gets about $330 a month from cash assistance.Plus we get $144 in food stamps and full medicaid for all 3 of us.I get ds's,mine and half of dd's money on the 1st,and the other half of hers on the 16th.It helps out so much,as I don't receive a dime in child support(exh is currently incarcerated for not paying for 3 years!).HTH!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#54 of 57 Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM

You should apply for SSDI/SSI ASAP, as once you are approved you will receive backpay from the day that you applied.  This could turn out to be a large sum of money considering it takes 1.5 to 2 years oin average to move through the entire Social Security Disability Insurance/ Supplemental Security Income process.  If you hire a specialized Social Security Disability attorney in your area you will be more likely to receive benefits quicker for your child.  I would recommend visiting http://www.socialsecurity-disability.org to find out more information on SSDI and what you can do to ensure your child receives benefits.

#55 of 57 Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
DBZ

OMG I friggin HATE the people at SSI. They act like the money is coming directly out of their paycheck. They just stopped my oldest kids SSI, because I missed an appointment....2 really. The first one was due to a snow storm and the second was my fault...I agreed to spend an extra day camping. I was 5 hours from home when I realized I was going to miss that appt. Bad mommy, no biscuit! Them cutting off the SSI also cut her off from insurance. That has me REALLY mad!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#56 of 57 Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
It should be averaged, so that there isn't a discrepancy for the extra paychecks.
It isn't though. During months where my husband is paid 3x instead of 2 we do not get a check. The only exception is self employed which is averaged.

Same here. The two months of the year we get three paychecks our SSI check reduces *greatly*. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
We just got approved for our dd too and it took about a month. For me here in CA, we almost didnt make the cutoff for money and we are very low income. Find out income and eligibility stuff before applying. The online app look me an hour and a half.
is there somewhere online where you can see the income/eligibility info?

I have no idea if this is 100% correct, but my SSI caseworker once told me that they purposely do not publicly give income eligibility to discourage people from "cheating" or hiding income. 

autismribbon.gif

#57 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM

I'm not married and I get SSI for myself ($200). They include his income since we live together. The lady said the SSI she would be elligable for would be the same as I was already getting and I was already getting the maximum so to not even bother finishing to apply and she would send a letter of disaproval in so many words. Does this sound right? Her dad makes 16k/year and I make 6k a year.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page