Emergency Preparedness Question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who's daughter is completely reliant on machines. The daughter isn't in a hospital, they are feeding machines and suction, I'm not real positive what else, it's not a subject that we talked about a lot.

Anyway, we were on the topic of emergency preparedness and she brought up she didn't know what she would do if they lost power and couldn't get to a place with power. She said the batteries only last about 48 hours. Which is nice, but very short term.

Is a gas generator the only way? I have no clue, so I thought I would ask here.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-27-2009, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your friend really does need to prepare that in the event that power is out that they would need to self reliant i.e getting somewhere that has power may not be possible at all.

That being said. Yes a generator would be good to have for the *in case* but there are also other less expensive items for now until they might be able to get a generator if cost is a factor. They also make electric generators that dont last quite as long but are less messy to deal with than gas/diesel type generators. Here is an example of one (if you google, electric portable generators there are tons available.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...onic-Generator

There are these portable car jumpers that also have a outlet that would allow things to be plugged in for emergencies. We have 2 one for each car and I cant count how many times we have brought them in during an outage to plug other household items into such as lamps and things. They are only temp. and depending on the amt of electricity they suck out it might not be long but maybe enough to use temp. besides batteries.

Are they able to purchase extra batteries for those items? If they are replaceable type items I would have more on hand as well as several disposible items that they may. Say if they use reusuable items but during an outage they are not able to sanitize or clean them having disposable items on hand would be helpful.

I would suggest your friend write down needs through out a typical day schedule. Thats what we did to help us be better prepared. As she goes thru her schedule with her child needs she would write down say "suctioning" 5 min elect. That way you can sit down and see ok i need something the suctioning can get power from while xx machine is running on another machine. KWIM? that way she can see how mcuh "power" is needed and what items she may need to have in hand in case she cant sterilize, warm up (feeding items) wash care items. Ideally she'd like to get to a point where at least they could be self reliant 48 hrs without outside power.
#3 of 8 Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM

We have a propane-fueled generator, that we got after a major windstorm in our area knocked out power for 10 days for some people (thank goodness not us) and we realized that gas stations were also non-functional without power. Another plus is that propane is easy to store on-site and relatively inexpensive and may well be available when gasoline is not because of those exchange systems they have at the grocery stores.

We purchased ours on Amazon, as it was hard to find locally.

#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 PM

A generator is a good idea. We don't have money for one right now though, so my emergency plan (assuming I can't take DD to a place with electricity) is to use the feeding pump only as much as necessary, about 6 hours at night, and then do very, very small boluses (10 ml) every 15 minutes or so when I'm awake (she is J tube fed 24/7). With any luck, I'd have another capable adult to help. I got some "trach traps" from the hospital that work for suctioning...just suck on one end and it pulls it all into a little container. I would use those and a bulb syringe as much as possible and only turn on the suction machine when absolutely necessary.

If she has an oxygen concentrator, the supplier should be able to give her a very large tank in addition to her travel tanks.

It's great to have back-up power but also a good idea to have a plan if *everything* fails. I know my DD isn't really expected to live long anyway, but I don't want to watch her drown in her secretions because of lack of power ya know?
#5 of 8 Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Our local Meijer's had a nice small generator that would probably do what she needs for her DD for about $150. We were able to run the Fridge on it for about 9 days last year when Ike hit Ohio and we were without power.
#6 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Our local Meijer's had a nice small generator that would probably do what she needs for her DD for about $150. We were able to run the Fridge on it for about 9 days last year when Ike hit Ohio and we were without power.
I'm telling DH about this, my local Meijers is your local meijers, and I was newly pregnant and grouchy when we were without power last year!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#7 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I'm telling DH about this, my local Meijers is your local meijers, and I was newly pregnant and grouchy when we were without power last year!
Thanks, we ran the generator about 2 hours on the fridge, 2 on the freezer, and then 2-3 hours off during the day. Overnight, we gave it a rest, so we could sleep. We would run it right before bed, and then again first thing in the morning.

We kept our frequent need items (1/2 gallon of milk, bottle of juice, and cold snacks) in a cooler, so we were not opening and closing the fridge often. Which helped to keep things working great.
#8 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM

During Katrina we didn't have a generator (we do now, 4 hurricanes later!!) and we got by with a power inverter, like a pp mentioned. It runs off the car battery and you can plug 110v items into it. My dh had some rotating system of batteries and we could run the fridge, fans, etc. off the inverter. We'd just start and run the car for a few minutes a couple of times a day to recharge the battery.
And a word about generators...we bought a Honda generator. They are more expensive but about 1/4 as loud and use about 1/3 the gas as a "regular" generator. You can actually hold a conversation standing next to it. Makes a big difference when you have it running for 9 days straight!
Laura

Laura
Mom to three

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page