Mothering Forum banner

Weighted blankets,vests,etc??

794 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Peacemamalove 
#1 ·
So what do you think about them? Have you noticed a difference? I am wondering if a lap pad would be beneficial to my dd. I would love to hear how they have helped your child or not.

Thanks so much!

#3 ·
We've had mixed results. I would recommend finding one to borrow before buying because they can be pricy.

DS tried them a couple of times at the OT and also a couple of times at school in their sensory/OT room. Sometimes, he likes them and says they help a little. Other times, he does not like them at all. He's tried the vest and lap blanket.

He's also tried (with more positive results) a body sock. They come in different sizes. He thought it was fun, and he could do work while inside it by keeping his arms out of the opening. It's very slippery though, so I would not recommend on hard wood floors.

#4 ·
See if you could borrow one first.

We borrowed a blanket from our OT and at first, it was great. He used it primarily to go to sleep and he slept better with it on his legs. Then after about 4 nights, the magic was lost and all hell broke loose any time you got near him with the blanket. He adapts pretty quickly to therapy tools and it was easier to just give it back than try it anymore. Same thing happened with a vibrating pillow. Sigh...

ETA: My son hated the body sock. But we tried him with it when he was still pretty young (under 2.) Now that he's a bit older, he might like it.

#5 ·
The weighted blanket has been a sleep-saver for us. My daughter had a 5 lb blanket and after about two years she proclaimed "I need a heavier blanket" so we purchased her a 7lb blanket a few months ago even though she's 40 lbs. She can't sleep without it and we take it with us whenever we go out of town or if she goes to my parent's house for a sleepover.

We haven't tried a body sock or a weighted vest but for us, the blanket made a huge difference.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
The weighted blanket has been a sleep-saver for us. My daughter had a 5 lb blanket and after about two years she proclaimed "I need a heavier blanket" so we purchased her a 7lb blanket a few months ago even though she's 40 lbs. She can't sleep without it and we take it with us whenever we go out of town or if she goes to my parent's house for a sleepover.

We haven't tried a body sock or a weighted vest but for us, the blanket made a huge difference.
My son has had a 2lb lap blanket for a couple years his preK teacher wouldn't "let" him use it in class she thought it too much of a distraction, and then last year I can't remember why we didn't send it it, but it has been a big help for him this year- at least he says it is. But I made him a 9lb blanket for his bed (he weighs about 55 pounds so I know it's too "heavy" but it's what he needs, and wants, plus the weight is very distributed, I did check with is old OT before making it that big she said it was fine... anyway) he was having major trouble sleeping and ever since I made it, he has been having much better nights. I agree though either borrow one, or make it because they are VERY expensive.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlandnl View Post
My son has had a 2lb lap blanket for a couple years his preK teacher wouldn't "let" him use it in class she thought it too much of a distraction, and then last year I can't remember why we didn't send it it, but it has been a big help for him this year- at least he says it is. But I made him a 9lb blanket for his bed (he weighs about 55 pounds so I know it's too "heavy" but it's what he needs, and wants, plus the weight is very distributed, I did check with is old OT before making it that big she said it was fine... anyway) he was having major trouble sleeping and ever since I made it, he has been having much better nights. I agree though either borrow one, or make it because they are VERY expensive.
I'm glad that he is sleeping better, now. What we did when we received the 7lb blanket was have my daughter get under it and then take it off to make sure she could get out. Instead of just getting out from under the blanket, she wadded it up, picked it up, and carried it. So although it is heavier than the rule, it isn't a safety hazard for her hehe.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
I'm glad that he is sleeping better, now. What we did when we received the 7lb blanket was have my daughter get under it and then take it off to make sure she could get out. Instead of just getting out from under the blanket, she wadded it up, picked it up, and carried it. So although it is heavier than the rule, it isn't a safety hazard for her hehe.

yep I figured if he can pick it up move it around and whatnot he would be ok.

As for the post about how to make them- what I did was buy 2 pieces of fleece the size I want the blanket to be

Then some cottony fabric (i don't have exact measurements)

I cut the cotton into strips (I did 5 of them so in the end each strip is just under 2 pounds) and sewed 3 sides.

I put 1 tablespoon of zinc covered stainless steel bbs into one of the strips then sewed it about 4 inches wide, then added another 1 tablespoon and sewed it 4 inches wide, rinse and repeat until the strip is done. Did that for all the strips.

Then I sewed the strips into one of the fleece sides, sewed the 2 big pieces together inside out leaving a bit open to turn it, turned it finished sewing and voila. It's not the prettiest thing because it took me a while to figure out how to do it. but it's functional

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.