advice on asperger's book/diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am writing this for a friend of mine. Her sister just passed away from melanoma, and was the mother of two young boys including an 8-year-old with Asperger's. The mother used to arrange all of his therapies and was the one who knew best how to communicate with and relate to him. As you can imagine, the boy's father is devastated and feeling unable to cope with his son's issues right now. Most of his care is being provided by an old-school grandmother who sees his difficulties as manipulative and is less than sympathetic. Prior to his mother's death, he was on a pretty restricted diet. My friend isn't sure if it was gfcf, but he was eating mostly fresh, unprocessed foods without preservatives. When they had initially switched to this diet, they saw an immediate change in him. Since her passing, he has been fed highly processed, sugary foods (lucky charms and pop tarts for breakfast, for example). And his behaviors have been challenging, a combination of many things certainly (chief among them serious grieving), but I can't imagine his current diet is helping matters.
Do any of you know of a book (or books) that explains
-the link between diet and Asperger's/Autism
-a straightforward explanation of Asperger's and associated behaviors
-relatively easy kid-friendly recipes that a grandmother who is fairly set in her ways could master?
TIA for any and all suggestions!
-Rachel

Mom to DD1 (Feb 2006) and DD2 (June 2008) with HIE, CP, dev delays and reflux
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM

I haven't actually read this book, but one of the writers - Pamela Compart - is my son's developmental pediatrician, and she has been a tremendous help! The book has lots of great reviews, and seems to meet some of your requirements, if not all of them. It's the book I'll buy if we ever go GFCF.
http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Friendly-A...4524822&sr=8-1

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 AM

for your friend's family.

I just got "Eating for Autism" (it also covers Asperger's and ADHD) from the library - haven't read it yet, but it looks good (maybe not a super quick read though). "The Asperger's Answer Book", by Susan Ashley is pretty good for quick explanations, and it's easy to read (Q&A format, so it's easy to just read the parts that are relevant).
#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2009, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the Kid Friendly Autism Cookbook the previous poster linked. It has a lot of easy tasty recipes.

I like this book Healing The New Childhood Epidemics because he explains in easy to understand language the connection between diet and behaviors. He also explains how various supplements can help alleviate the symptoms of the autism spectrum.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#5 of 6 Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I will pass along all these suggestions.

Mom to DD1 (Feb 2006) and DD2 (June 2008) with HIE, CP, dev delays and reflux
#6 of 6 Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM

A diet like that might simply be too overwhelming for grandma and/or dad right now. I mean if they're feeding those types of foods they aren't cooking anyway. Ideally, they'll take to the books and cook whole foods. However, if that isn't going to happen or won't be welcome, it might be more manageable to try digestive enzymes. Not the same but still helps some kids.
https://www.houston-enzymes.com/stor...ct.php?p=4&c=1 A good choice (comes in chewable as well as capsule form).
http://www.enzymestuff.com/ Information

These won't be a help with artificial colorings and the like which may well be a part of the problem here. But they will handle the food elements which for many makes a difference.

Another idea is to suggest (or even purchase/order) some convenience foods that have less junk. There are many options for cereal bars and the like at major health food type stores and coops they don't have the artificial colors and flavors and all. There are also gluten and casein free options.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page