Article on using exercise to treat ADHD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found an interesting article on using exercise to reduce the need for ADHD medication in Bicycling magazine. They're focused on the use of bikes to reduce the need for medication, but note that swimming and running are also very useful.

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...1050-1,00.html

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...1051-1,00.html
#2 of 6 Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Fay

The book "Stopping ADHD" by O'Dell and Cook also details exercises (specifically crawling) to treat the underlying causes of ADHD. Brain Gym and Bal-A-Vis-X are other exercise-based treatment programs. There's also a Japanese method for treating autism that involves hours of rigorous exercise in a group setting every day. A lot of these programs are based on the theory that the symmetric tonic neck reflex and other infant relfexes that are typically outgrown by age 1 are causing the attention and/or hyperactivity issues. More than 30 years of scientific research back up this theory. The research is all in the field of education, not medicine, so most medical doctors have never heard of this...but the studies have been published in peer-reviewed journals.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#3 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM
kme

I don't know if exercise can "treat" ADHD (or autism) but I can certainly say for sure that it hepls both my older son with ADHD and my younger one who has ADHD/SPD. In fact, my younger one's sensory diet is mostly just exercise. I sometimes make him run around the block or up and down the stairs when he is really hyper. The trampoline is great for him too. We do a lot of this type of exercise before he goes to school (he goes to PM kindergarten) and he is doing great this year. Don't know what we'll do next year.....sigh.
#4 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM

I've been experimenting with using exercise to help treat my own inattentive type ADHD. I find 20 or 30 minutes 3 times a day of something that gets my heart pumping is very helpful for me. I am able to focus better on a task, and plan better. And, I'm cheerier , but quite tired by the days end.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#5 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 PM

this is very intresting to me i will have to try this appoarch with my daughter who has ADHD I really dont want to put her on meds if i dont have too

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM

I sure wish this had worked for me. I figure skated 60 (yes 60) hours a week in high school and had absolutely no improvement in my ADD.

Every couple years I go back to my doctor and ask if she has anything new for me to try. I get the side effects so bad I just can't stay on any of the meds too long. *sigh* I'd just like to be able to follow through on things like a normal person.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page