Celexa and Anxiety in Children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone share their experiences with Celexa to treat anxiety in children?

PM me if you don't want to share publicly.

Thanks/

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#3 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 02:53 PM

bumping this thread for you, too, as well as giving a short response. I've never heard of Celexa, so I would be curious if anyone can give input.

My 3 yo son has severe anxiety (I've posted before about it). Anyway, we see a naturopath & so far, have been really pleased with a supplement (amino acid) for neurotransmitter called, Kavinace. It has worked pretty instantaneously (within 15 min) & helps. We're also working with a behaviorist (& OT) for coping techniques.

: Jewel~ Mama to 4. Quilting & Sewing WAHM living a natural life.
#4 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tel me what OT stands for?

#5 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Occupational Therapist

: Jewel~ Mama to 4. Quilting & Sewing WAHM living a natural life.
#6 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM

We've never used Celexa but tried prozac for our daughters anxiety. It didn't help her. We are now using a Traditional Chinese Medicine formula our practitioner developed for her. Its helped her a lot.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#7 of 14 Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM

We used Celexa for ds for about 6 months. It seemed to help, and I didn't pick up on any adverse effects. As time went on, he was diagnosed with bipolar, and we discontinued Celexa and moved on to other drug therapy that was much more effective for him. I initiated very in depth medical investigation and tried many other interventions before we turned to medication.
#8 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 PM

My daughter was on it a year ago, against my better judgement. But then again, I didn't agree with her anxiety disorder diagnosis (which has since been removed)

Anyway, she was also on Risperdal and 6 weeks into the celexa the risperdal quit working and she ended up hospitalized in the psychiatric ward. The doctor insisted it had nothing to do with the celexa, I disagree.

That was my only experience,

Kim
#9 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

What is risperdal for? Was it a drug interaction? What happened that your daughter was hospitalized? How old is your daughter?

#10 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
What is risperdal for? Was it a drug interaction? What happened that your daughter was hospitalized? How old is your daughter?
Risperdal is an anti-psychotic drug. It is often used in young kids for violent behavior. My daughter is 8. She was hospitalized because she became aggressive and violent and couldn't be calmed in any other way. She was up to 4mg of risperdal , a large dose for even an adult and it wasn't touching her. A normal kid on that would have been knocked cold. I do not know if it was a drug interaction and probably never will because this behavior is something we have struggled with for years, whether she was on Celexa or not.
#11 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 PM

I thought there was a black box warning for use in children because of increased suicide rates . . . I'm on that med as an adult, but have no experience with it for children. I hope you are able to get help for your kids who need meds. Depression is such a difficult condition.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#12 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM

I know it can be used for both depressive and anxiety symptoms. Currently taking it myself as well as my older two kids. We still have plenty of anxiety though but I'm sure I'd be stark raving mad by now without it as the stressors persist in our lives and I'm trying to purge our lives of one abusive stalking stbx. It does seem to help but it takes about 4-8 weeks to show a benefit. We all have PTSD.
#13 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM

I don't know about in children, but I was put on it once. The main thing I noticed is that it made me incredibly queasy all the time, but I wasn't on it long enough to outlast that for any other effects to kick in.
#14 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Hi, I have an eleven year old son that has been on Celexa 10 mg for about a year now. We had tried many different drug, cocktails to treat his ADD and severe anxiety for over 2-3 yrs. there were some slight improvements with some things, but though I heard it mentioned earlier in this post, the combination of Risperidone, and Celexa have seemed to do the trick! He is calm enough to sleep in his own room, be in a room alone for that matter! But I have run out of the med, and he falls right back into the same old nervous habits, wanting proximity to people, saying he feels scared and he doesn't know why! Well, fortunately I know what has made the difference, and I hope others can find similar results!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page