Pottying: is this a young boy thing, or a special needs thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS, now 4 yo, has SPD and hypotonia in his trunk area. He typically has trouble sitting up if he falls or lays flat on his back. He may be on the spectrum, but I'm not sure of that.

Anyway, he has been generally daytime pottying just fine, both pee and poo. He was pee trained about 7 months ago. Poo training came a couple months later. However, most days he will go through at least 5 or 6 pairs of underwear because he usually has a wet spot when he goes to pee. At night he wears a pull-up because about half of the time he does pee, and the other half he's dry in the morning.

I've tried getting him to the potty before I think he needs to really go...and he STILL gets the wet spot more often than not. That tells me he doesn't always just wait till he goes in his underwear to head off to the potty. It seems more like the suggestion of the potty causes him to "let loose" a little bit. He's pretty strong-willed, so trying to get him to the potty regularly, say every hour, is a ridiculous struggle. In fact, when I was first working on pottying him, he completely lost any interest the potty when I started trying to take him regularly. So, obviously I'm not a fan of going through that again.

A complicating factor is that whenever he's at home, he likes to kick off his pants and underwear after he goes. I wonder if that behavior is at all related to the pee spot problem.

My question is: Is this a normal, young boy thing, or is it due to one or more of his special needs? Anyone else have this problem? What did you do/are you doing to fix it?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page