What do you do when your child grows out of size 6 diapers?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have experience with this happening and what did you do next? Does anyone's insurance cover the cost of diapers?
#2 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Boy, I don't know. We are to the point now that only Pampers Cruisers size 6 will fit. Pullups are always a possibility, but in our case, the ability for her to take them off and on herself is NOT a good thing! Plus, they are expensive.

I believe that children on Medicaid can have diapers reimbursed after age 2, but I don't know from personal experience.

My DD turns 3 tomorrow and we are not anywhere even close to dreaming about potty training yet.
#3 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM

Pampers makes size 7 diapers. I think you have to order them at Amazon or TRU.

computergeek2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM

I believe Easter Seals has a program that provides some money to families of children with special needs to cover a portion of diaper costs.

Martha
#5 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 PM

We've also found the pull-ups to be bigger than the size 6 diapers, but they are pricey. We also had some cloth diapers custom made so that she can wear them at night without leaking. Our insurance will cover diapers when dd turns 3.
#6 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 PM

there are some disposable diaper brands (not mainstream think medical supply stores) that are available in larger sizes including children and adult. YOu might want to check with your insurance coverage to see if they would cover it, some will cover cloth under durable medical equipment coverage and some will cover disposable. Unfortunately some dont cover them at all. I believe some medicaid type programs might. Im assuming your child has SN and needs them as opposed to an older child not potty trained. there are some places online that do sell child sized cloth diapers for SN children who require them. They are similar to an AIO but I have also seen the prefold type and cover kinds as well.

I wanted to add this link, the poster has several examples of larger sized diapers and measurements. There is also a link to another site on it that sells a variety pack with assort. manuf. diapers. HTH.
http://www.childrenwithspecialneeds....d=51&Itemid=53
#7 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
Pampers makes size 7 diapers. I think you have to order them at Amazon or TRU.
Chiming in, I found this on the "new posts" screen. My dd could still wear the size 6 diapers but leaked through them EVERYTIME. We used the pampers size 7 diapers until she potty-trained. We ordered from amazon and diapers.com (if they had specials going).

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM

I do know our insurance (a medicaid provider) will cover pull-ups starting at age 4. Which for DD1 will be February. Age four is the rule of thumb they use for when a child should be out of diapers. Well, ain't happening here.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page