Post your fave AFFORDABLE (smoothie recipe, nutrient dense snacks) for your PICKY spectrum sensory kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Morning Mamma's
We are trying to make some changes around here in our little ones very very picky diet. She is nearly 4 and picky and before I give up to a life of her living on goldfish crackers
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ewthread&f=157
Please keep in mind, I am looking for things typically available at any grocery store and that are budget friendly (DH laid off - really struggling)

What are your favorite snacks your special kid loves?

Whats your favorite smoothie? (Because its not only good for them but because you can hide things in it -whether it is fruit or supplements) and how do you make it?

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Eggs! Hardboiled make good snack food, also scrambled, eggs in bread (hole in bread)

My son was the same way (addicted to goldfish) ... he still likes his tortilla chips, pretzels and crackers but we are limiting his dairy intake because of allergies.
#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM

My sensorykiddo used to love (still does, I just don't make them much anymore) peanut butter balls. 1 part honey to 2 parts smooth PB, then enogh powdered milk or nutrititional yeast (the brown "nutty" one not the yellow one) to make a playdough consistency. I would then roll it into balls. A little softer makes a great sandwich spread, or you can reduce the milk/yeast and add some honey crunch toasted wheat germ.

DS had good intake of raw fruits/veggies, but his protein and fats and calories were low.
#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM

We make this every morning:

2 cups soy milk
1 fresh banana
Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Mangos
a handful of baby carrots
1 cup of spinach
Favorita Protein Powder (Vega is our favorite)

Turn on the blender and enjoy. The kids love to make it with me.

Mama to 2 CRAZY boys
#5 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM

My son is EXTREMELY picky (Reluctant Eater) so I don't have many ideas for you.

For snacks, he will eat plain cereal (although he's starting to not even eat that).

He'll eat whole wheat crackers with sunflower butter.

He'll eat mini pancakes (I add organic fruit or veggie baby food to the batter.)

He'll eat homemade oatmeal or molasses cookies (add some ground flax seeds and applesauce, or baby food carrots/sweet potatoes to batter.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#6 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 PM

When my son was a picky eater and smallish (24 pounds at 2.5).He only ate lean meat, fruit, milk, and eggs. I made smoothies with whole milk, fruit, peanut butter, coconut oil, flaxseed, and some berries. He sucked it right down. I also use to make scrambled eggs with mashed up avocados and cheese. I found if I let him help with the food prep (cracking the eggs, pushing the buttons on blender) he was much more likely to eat the food.

Just to give you some hope, my son is seven now, weighs 52 pounds, is 52 inches. The only foods he doesn't eat are milk products due to allergies and cooked onions (loves raw ones), juice with cherries in it, and pea soup.
#7 of 7 Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Our smoothie is:

1 c whole milk yogurt (DS likes vanilla)
1 whole banana
1/2-1 c berries (I usually use frozen blueberries)
splash of juice or soy milk
2 tsp flaxseed meal
2 T peanut butter (or whatever other protein you want)

User Tag List