getting a diagnosis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my middle son may have SPD. From what I have read it seems A LOT like him. He is 4 and currently in special ed Pre-K for his major speach delay. I have read on here about people talking about a developmental Pediatrician but how do I find one, or is it called something else? I looked under our insurance where you can search for providers and there is nothing under that heading. I have a feeling we will have to travel since this is a smaller area and I am fine with that I am just not sure where to look.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi, goobergrl! I'm in MD, too. I would look for an occupational therapist who is trained in SPD. Here's a list of some who are certified:

http://portal.wpspublish.com/portal/...4&id1=0&id2=20

I would also suggest joining the Sensory Street Yahoo group. It provides general support for SPD parents, but it's based in Baltimore, so there are lots of local recommendations and resources. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SensoryStreet/

HTH some!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That list is super helpful! I will cross check it with my insurance. Of course there is nothing local LOL Looks like Annapolis is the closest. Fun times! Oh well I will just have to tie in some shopping. Oh darn
I will check out the yahoo group too thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM

I understand--I'm on the Eastern Shore, so I have to travel for *everything*. Our OT is 30 minutes away, which is considered pretty close! LOL!

Good luck...I think you'll like Sensory Street--lots of knowledgeable and supportive mamas there. If you ask for specific rec's in the Annapolis area, I'm sure some of the members will chime in. Everyone there is super-friendly.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I am in Southern MD so Annapolis would be about 1 1/2 hrs. Which is fine depending on how often he would have to go.....ugh

User Tag List