Mothering Forum banner

*~SPD support thread- January~*

3K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  beachbaby 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks for starting the thread!

DD has had lots of ups and downs over the past month. We had a really good 2 weeks around the time we starting regularly swimming. But, although we're still going (OT says it's great vestibular and proprioceptive input, along with strengthening for her low tone), it's not having the positive impact on her behavior it did at first. Behavior at home is atrocious most of the time.
I'm having a difficult time implementing the sensory diet at home because she's so. darn. resistant. It's totally a power struggle thing, but I'm finding it very difficult to not engage in them lately.
On top of that, DD's social issues (anxiety....possible ASD traits...can't share, freaks if kids do something 'wrong'...) make socializing with my mama friends and their kids really, really hard. It's very isolating.

On the bright side, I'm starting to take better care of myself (excerise, eating better) and to really use the help that's being offered to me...My mom is the best--she's retired and is almost always available at a moment's notice to take DD for an hour or two. She doesn't really 'get' SPD, but she (and the rest of our family) have been really good about adapting to DD's needs without really needing a reason or a name for it. I love that.

How's everyone else doing? Thanks for keeping this thread going. I really need it.

#3 ·
We're here. We're doing alright. I posted in another thread that we are sort of in a "honeymoon" phase. We are coming out of it in the last few days though. Seems like were about to cycle back up again.

DS has started being really really afraid of things that he can't (or I can't change). He panics in the morning if he wakes before the sun is up (which is almost always), telling me he wants me to make the sun come up faster. At night, he panics taht he doesn't want the sky to be dark. Everything for certain situations has to be exactly right or he freaks out.

We have LLL tomorrow. It's always a toss up whether or not he'll do okay, but I NEED NEED NEED that for me. I'm desperately trying to make some friends so that I have some people to talk to.

We're on countdown to our dev ped appt on Feb 2. I'm not sure whether to be terrified or excited.

#4 ·
Let's just say that since the snow and cold weather hit about a month ago my son (age 6 - sensory seeker) has not been doing well. He is stimming a lot more and it is harder to get him to do other things besides jump around or crash into things. He's also been sucking his fingers much more.

When the weather was warmer he did a lot of jumping on the trampoline, swinging, bike riding, scoooter riding, soccer, etc. Then when he was inside he was able to act pretty typically. But I have had a hard time substituting indoor activities and he has defnitely been stimming a lot more. He still goes to OT and gymnastics which helps but I can definitely see the difference since he has been "off" some of his sensory diet.

#5 ·
So thankful for this thread.

DD, 6, is an under-responsive, sensory seeker and also blind (23 week preemie). Last Monday night, we found her in her bed in a pool of vomit, unresponsive. She was breathing but wouldn't wake up. We made the frantic call to 911 and she was transported to childrens hopsital. There she remained unresponsive to anything but pain for 5 hours. Finally, she just woke up, sat up and said she wanted to go home. 5 minutes later, she was back out again but this time it seemed more like a deep sleep. We were able to arouse her and get her to open her eyes and at least mumble. CAT scan showed nothing remarkable. Neurology thinks she either had a seizure (no history of ) or aspirated when she vomited. She was really out of it for a couple days. Her gross motor, fine motor, speech, balance coordination, and motor planning had all regressed. We followed up with her therapists (you were very concerned) and her pediatrician. The pediatrician wasn't concerned at all and blew off the changes. (This has prompted me to change pediatrician.)

Its been a week and she's still not the same child she was before. Her coordination, balance and motor planning continue to be off. Things that never bothered her before are causing her great discomfort. Like taking a shower, transitions, and running into things! Her old sensory diet now causes meltdowns when it used to bring her comfort. Her personality is just so different now. I don't know if its a temporary thing or what. I'm having a hard time coping with the change. I knew the old triggers for her, I knew how to help her most of the time. Now, I find myself frustrated all the time...scared that this could be the new normal.

On the plus side, she now is in love with painting and doing crafts which she used to hate, is less fidgety during school work (we homeschool) and is sleeping longer. Got to stay focused on the positive!

Hope everyone has a great week!

#6 ·
We had a rough time in the end of Dec. DS was out of preschool and I was off from teaching, so our normal routine was out. He started tantruming more and is also sucking on his hands and toys again too! I am hoping to start taking him to the community indoor pool at least once a week...I just gotta get myself motivated to go out in the cold and do it (with my increasingly pregnant body the pool is not where I want to be right now
).

beachbaby, it's funny that you should mention resistance to the sensory diet...I really struggle with this too. I spend a lot of time working on special activities and things for us to do at home and DS just doesn't get into it...so disappointing

The good news is that DS has started back at preschool and did pretty well in the last week. He only left early one day out of three (he goes to the daycare room where there is no structure, when he get's overwhelmed by preschool). He has also been very engaged in doing matching games in the preschool activity books that he got for Christmas...in the past he wouldn't settle down to do any sort of activities on paper.

The other good news is that we FINALLY go for an eval on the 19th of this month. I am both nervous and looking forward to it. I have a question for those who have gone through the process...what should I bring or prepare for the OT to help her to get to know my DS?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
He panics in the morning if he wakes before the sun is up (which is almost always), telling me he wants me to make the sun come up faster. At night, he panics taht he doesn't want the sky to be dark. Everything for certain situations has to be exactly right or he freaks out.
Goodness, this sounds SO familiar! A few weeks back, it was calling for snow. I did everything in my power to NOT mention snow, knowing that it would become a major issue if we didn't get enough to go play in. Well, DH said 'Next-town-over got 5 inches" (Meanwhile, we had NONE)...DD became hysterical--45 minute meltdown about snow and begging, sobbing, clinging to us to please drive to the next town so we could play in the snow there. The next few days were more of the same--Why didn't we get snow? Can you make it snow? When is it going to snow? We did end up getting about an inch...enough to play in for about a day. But, whew. Talk about exhausting. And that's just one example of the many, many scenarios like this that happen in a week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kme View Post
Let's just say that since the snow and cold weather hit about a month ago my son (age 6 - sensory seeker) has not been doing well. He is stimming a lot more and it is harder to get him to do other things besides jump around or crash into things. He's also been sucking his fingers much more.

When the weather was warmer he did a lot of jumping on the trampoline, swinging, bike riding, scoooter riding, soccer, etc. Then when he was inside he was able to act pretty typically. But I have had a hard time substituting indoor activities and he has defnitely been stimming a lot more. He still goes to OT and gymnastics which helps but I can definitely see the difference since he has been "off" some of his sensory diet.
The cold is hard for us, too. I've heard about zinc supplements for oral issues, but haven't tried it yet. It's very difficult to get DD to take any sort of supplement. DD finger licks, too when she's really off.

Hadley's_mom--Oh, my, I am so sorry!
What an ordeal for you and your DD. What does her neurologist and or other therapists say about the changes?

slsurface--yeah, DD is totally willing to do sensory diet stuff at OT, but at home is very oppositional to it, especially things that physically push her beyond her comfort zone (grasping, pinching excercises to increase muscle tone in her hands; holding scissors/pencil correctly, etc.). She does better with the more rough and tumble input, but it's still hard to build enough into the day.

For the OT eval...I'd make a list of all your concerns, as well as your child's strengths...even a day-in-the-life narrative to try to give the OT an overall picture of DS. Someone else (here?) even suggested video of behaviors your are concerned with. Our OT came up with 4 measurable goals based on our concerns, so maybe outline the biggest 5 or so issues that you'd like to see addressed in OT?

They'll probably have you fill out a sensory profile--I'd call and ask if you can either have it ahead of time to bring in already completed or to be able to take it with you and return it next time--it's too long and difficult to try to complete there, IMO. I'd rather be able to observe my child during the observation instead of filling out paperwork.

I would also ask about discussing the asessment--either set up a time to talk about it at the end of the appointment (and plan to bring another adult with you so can speak privately with the OT) or discuss via phone. Even though I expected a lot of what I read in the eval, I wasn't prepared for some of it--DD's muscle weakness translated into a full developmental delay in fine motor (grasping), which I didn't really expect. It's nice to be able to talk over the results and get any questions answered...talking with the OT made it seem more manageable and easier to digest. Good luck to you, InMediasRes, and anyone else with evals coming up. I was in your shoes last month. Let us know how it goes.

#8 ·
So LLL was a total bust today. Andrew just kept screaming, running out of the room, crashing into the other kids, completely melting down when they took his toys. He pushed over a 19mo. We had to leave early. It didn't help that I was distracted with the baby who had only had 15 minutes of sleep all day, a horrible night the night before, and got hit in the head by aforementioned knocked over 19mo. On a plus note, he is finally starting to seem somewhat comfortable there since he recognizes the people and the place. The only reason we were able to stay as long as we were was that after his meltdown, he completely withdrew and hid behind one of the couches, chewing on his fingers. I just have the hardest time choosing between his needs and mine. I really need that interaction with like minded moms, and geez, it's only once a month. But I now I feel guilty that we didn't leave right when the trouble started and save him the frustration. Gah!

At least I just got reinforcement that something is really up, because I was beginning to wonder if I was crazy since we had such a good last two weeks. I am also beginning to wonder if I might have some anxiety that needs help, because I can just feel myself starting to panic when he bowls over the other kids, and after enough times like that, I start shutting down and not knowing what to do. I was panicking on the way home too, since it looks like a no nap day, and he was up at 6, which means he'll be an utter terror from 3-7 tonight.

#10 ·
Hi everyone,

I posted a couple of times in the December thread but didn't get around to actually introducing myself properly. I have one child, Toby, who is now 3.75. He has certainly been hard work since birth! I can identify with many of the issues that crop up in this thread, mostly:
shocking sleeping (though this has gotten better since about 3, with some environment tweaking and just maturity)
intense emotions, frequent explosive meltdowns, inability to cope with many (most) social situations, finicky with clothing, terrible at transition times.

It has taken me quite a long time to fit pieces together, and I'm sure I'm still missing part of the puzzle. I've read up on just about everything from temperament/introversion/giftedness/autism, but I think I'm on the right track with SPD. (I am partway through reading 'the mislabelled child' and the boy described in the SPD section was almost exactly a description of Toby).

I have started the ball rolling to get some help through our local early intervention service (well, actually, I work there, you'd think I'd have gotten help earlier, but like some of you have expressed with your dc's, Toby would go through a smooth-ish patch, and I'd think that he was maturing out of his issues, but then similar issues would just re-surface, perhaps manifesting in a different way, often in a more intense way. So I'd go back and forth between "He is fine, it's just his temperament" and "He REALLY has issues and I need help with this!")

I've filled out a sensory profile and am looking forward to discussing this with some OTs to see if there are any strategies I can use to help:
keep him on an even keel and
help him cope better with social situations.

At home, he is comfortable, and we don't have huge problems unless I am too busy to play with him, or if we don't have time to do some physically tiring activity. But when we are out - ESPECIALLY if there are other kids around - just about guaranteed meltdown or at least very challenging behaviours that do not allow me to chat for a few minutes or do what I need to do without majorly bending over backwards.

Gosh, I could go on forever, but this was just meant to be an intro! At the moment, we are having quite a nice patch as we have just been on holidays (camping mostly) involving lots of time outdoors, fewer transitions and rush times, a lot of swimming and having both me and dh available for interaction.

Before holidays though, Christmas with dh's family was stressful. Ds did reasonably well I thought, he lasted a good 2 hours before he took himself to the car wanting to go home. He didn't interact with anyone (to be fair, he doesn't see his rellies on dh's side often), except to yell at, then hit his uncle who insisted on picking him up and tickling him, despite ds yelling out "I don't like it!". He then got told off for hitting of course - fair enough, but PLEASE! You're an adult, LISTEN when the child tells you that he doesn't like something and STOP DOING IT!!! Sheesh.

Of course, this uncle's own son is almost the exact same age, and is outgoing, easy-going, says "please" and "thankyou" and gives kisses on demand, even if he doesn't know the person. Have a guess who the family favourite is??

I'll sign off before I rant further. I will follow this thread with interest. Thanks for getting it started.

#11 ·
Hi, pixilixi. I can relate to much of what you've written. I suspected sensory issues as early at 14 mos, but didn't get an evaluation til DD was nearly 4. It was a combination of lots of things...being scared of the label, the possibility of misdiagnosis, thinking time and experience would change things, etc. I'm glad we're on the path now, although I do have moments of panic about being 'in the system' and what this diagnosis (and the ones that may come in the future) will mean for DD and the way people view both her challenges and abilities.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Hi everyone.

My dd is 5 1/2 and she has been having major issues with her clothes for the past two years. It first started with underwear. She couldn't wear underwear, it was too uncomfortable. I brought it up to her pediatrician and it was pretty much brushed off.

These past two years the clothing intolerance has moved to everything she wears. It can take hours to get dressed. The past two days she was worn nothing but panties all day long. I kept thinking, "she'll grow out of this." But here we are, two years later and it's even worse at times.

It's not just being super picky that makes me feel like something it wrong, its the way she reacts to the clothes on her body. Sheer and utter panic. Freaks out, screaming, kicking, pulling at the clothes to get them off. Not a normal, picky reaction, but more of a reaction of someone in pain. Its so hard to watch and so hard to help. She has nothing she can wear at this point. As it is, none of her clothes have tags, all are 100% cotton, no itchy seams. I don't force anything on her, but I just dont know what to do.

No one IRL really knows she has this problem. We have been able to cope that no one really knows how bad it can get. Recently however, it has been preventing her from doing things she wants to do because she cant get dressed. She wants to bike ride, but cant find bottoms so after an hour of panicking and crying, she decides she will sit at home naked.

She has other things about her that i always saw as weird quirks, now I think they may be related. she will not tolerate anything in her hair. No ponytails, no braids, no bows, absolutely nothing. She is super sensitive when she gets hurt. if it bleeds its the end of the world. dealing with trying to get an thorn out of her foot was absolute torture (we ended up doing it while she was sleeping). she is afraid of falling when she rides her bike. She also covers her ears with loud noises.

Sometimes it's not so bad. other times its really bad, like right now. There is something wrong with every item of clothing. the way they fit, the way they feel. this is too long, this is too short. this is too loose, this is too tight. this neck is too low, this one itches. it's irrational to me, and she just squirms in her body. she kicks and screams and rips the clothes off.

so, here I am. Coming to you wise mamas for help. Does this sound like it could be a sensory processing disorder? When i go through the checklist, there are a lot of thing that she does not have, the main issue is the clothes. If it does sound like it could be spd, where do I start? Should I a call our family doctor first? I'm so overwhelmed. I've ordered a few books and am waiting for them to come in. But I'd really like to hear some of your thought.

thank you.

#14 ·
mama_y_sol. IMO, If it's impacting day-to-day life to the point that she can't participate in activities she enjoys, I would move forward with the asessment. I would look for an Occupational Therapist who has experience with SPD (not all do). This link has a list of SI Certfied OTs--you can search by state.

How's everyone doing? DD started therapuetic listening this week to help with sound sensitivity and overall regulation. We've only done 2 days and it's a bit of a challenge to keep the headphones on her for the 20 minute sessions. We've had some warm weather here lately, so we've been getting lots of outside time and DD has been overall pretty cooperative and even-keeled for the last few days. Today involved a fair amount of over-stimulation and social interaction, though, and by bedtime it was starting to show. She did, however, handle some overwhelming situations with more flexibility and self-regulation. Social situations are hard, hard, hard for her, even on a good day.

I also talked to the director of a therapuetic horseback riding program in our area...it sounds like a great program for DD and we're going to apply and hopefully start the program soon. They said it'd be a great match for DD for both sensory input, addressing low muscle tone, and social interactions. I'm really feeling positive about it.

#15 ·
So, yesterday was finally DS's eval. We've been working towards this for months now...but that's a whole other story.

Anyways, he was in great (meaning terrible & bouncing off the walls
) form yesterday. The OT really got to see him at his most spastic - thankfully. My Ped still thinks I'm just a nutty mother, because DS is always perfect at the Drs office.

The OT did a wonderful job with him. I just sat back a watched her do all her various fine motor & gross motor & cognitive tests. Surprisingly, she told me that he scored highest on the fine-motor skills, even though he's usually more gross-motor oriented. But when it was all said and done, she felt like she had a good picture of him and that he was definitely sensory seeking, but a "milder" case. It is such a relief for me to finally be believed! She got us scheduled for regular weekly appointments and told me that she thought he would need between 9 months to a year of OT.

She also mentioned that she thought there might be some auditory integration issues and that she would have a better picture of that after a month of therapy. She suggested that he would respond well to listening therapy. I am eager to learn more and see what strategies she suggests.

I am just beyond
that we are finally going to get DS the help he needs! On a side note, he is so horrible today...constantly throwing tantrums
...after today I just can't wait for therapy to begin!

#17 ·
He let me cut his hair today!!!! I had to use scissors, so it looks awful, but I'm so glad he let me do it. It was getting in his eyes and driving him totally crazy. He had a bit of a meltdown after he looked in the mirror, whining "Put my hair back on!" I showed him how it was fuzzy now, and it was over. HUGE sigh of relief. I thought he would never let me do it.

We are doing alright. He hasn't really been himself for about a week and a half now, but he seems to be coming out of the fog yesterday and today. It helps when I finally relax enough to focus on him. I took him to a playplace today during off hours, one that he normally has to work pretty hard to climb, and he scaled it like a champ. I think he may have had a growth spurt because all of his shirts are suddenly too short. That would explain the craziness. We're back to the screaming, hitting, throwing, violent stuff, and the sounds are bothering him worse than ever. He doesn't even like hearing his sister babbling.

Two weeks to our dev ped appt. Can someone tell me what to expect? Should I bring DH along so that I can talk to the dev ped alone? Or leave DD home with him? How long should the appointment take? Is there anything I can do in advance besides gather my notes and videos?

#18 ·
InMediasRes, I have to commend you on your hair cutting job!
I think it looks fabulous. My DS is the same way
. He cannot tolerate hair cuts AT.ALL! I am the only one who can attempt cutting his hair - and I have no training whatsoever. I always wait until he looks like a total mop-head before trying to cut it, and his hair grows so very fast! Anyways, great job!

#19 ·
we just had ot eval for dd (3.75) and I can totally relate to the pp about finally feeling some recognition and not feeling like I'm some crazy/hyperactive mama

dd is a definite sensory seeker, possible auditory stuff going on and adhd.
we are going to begin therapy next week.
tantrums and defiance are awful right now. and dh is struggling to come to terms with all this. he is having a hard time thinking outside the box and coming to terms with the realization that he/we need to try new strategies for dealing with dd's defiance/energy/sensory-seeking behavior. it's also really hard or me to relay all the info I read/hear/come across and he is so so so overwhelmed with work/school (he is sole financial provider and full-time grad student) that it's hard for him to do the reading himself.
I just finished the out-of-sync child and the explosive child and wish I could better relay to dh all the helpful info I came across...
I'm trying hard to remember daily that dd is not *trying* to be a psycho-child...the difficulty listening to ANYTHING and the aggression/antagonism toward her baby brother are my hot-button issues.
thanks for the thread!!

#20 ·
I'm so happy to find this thread!! I've been trying to get help for my 6yr. old ds for years but until this year nobody has even acknowledged there is anything "wrong" with him. He's always been on target developmentally so it's always "oh he'll grow out of xyz he's fine don't worry so much."
this year his new teacher immediately recognized he has sensory issues. I just spoke with her and she now thinks he may be on the autism spectrum as well. We've had meetings with everyone from the school psychologist (who was supposed to evaluate him and give us a report months ago) to his doctor and nobody has come up with anything to help him.
He's extremely hypersensitive to touch, sound, and oral input and always has been. He has problems at school all the time, usually not paying attention or acting out in some way. Our biggest problem right now is that he has an explosive temper and every so often he has a rash of lashing out at other kids at school (and his brother at home). No "normal" parenting things work.
He knows the right and wrong response but he doesn't ever stop to think. For example, if he hurts his brother it's an automatic time out. When I go in his room to talk to him I can ask him "what should you have done instead of hit your brother?" and he can give me several examples but he rarely if ever actually does them. We can role play, talk till we're blue in the face, take away everything from him and he still does not control his behavior, at home or school. His teacher did an elaborate rewards chart for months and at the end of it she said she didn't think it really had an impact on his behavior because he is too impulsive.
We love his teacher but decided to homeschool him because he just can't handle the school environment. Now I'll be on my own with handling his behavior, so I need to get a better handle on what's going on and what I can do to help him.
I'd really appreciate book recommendations, I'm planning to order All Children Flourishing by Glasser tonight and would like to get a specific SPD one too. So any advice or suggestions on resources would be much appreciated, I'm really happy to find some people who understand these issues and can maybe help me figure out some things that will help my son.

#21 ·
furfeet- I am so glad you found this thread.

mommy amber- I hope therapy works well for you!
InMediasRes- My DS freaks out when his sister babels too. As in starts screaming and ends her happy little string of babels and turns them into cries. Then he screams "Stop screaming at me!" and she cries some more. Thankfully, this is mostly in the car. For some reason he's more on edge in the car.

My DS has been hard lately. He is not really wanting to interact with me, which is so different for him. All he wants to do is watch TV or play starfall. And he was sick last week for a few days and I let him... he's really easily visually over stimulated and I think we're just experiencing the backlash of all of that, but it's super hard. He is tuning everything he hears out right now and it's really hard to get him to talk etc. He is normally a chatterbox.
He's obsessed with wearing hats right now. HAs to sleep in them and if they are sitting wrong wakes up and cries about it. The hat he wants the past few days is a bucket hat, and it slips all over. A few weeks ago it was stocking cap and that worked so much better. I am going try to convince him he wants the stocking cap again.
He's started to line his toys up and it has me worrying about ASD. But I think it's probably within the range of "normal" (whatever that is!) Am I the only one who is always worried it's not "just" SPD? Everyone (ot's and docs) say he's SPD, not ASD but it's hard not to worry with so much that overlaps. I guess it doesn't matter. Whatever label is thrown at him, he's still the same kid, but it's often in the back of my mind, especially lately as he's not acting himself.

Add to that that we're moving and not even sure where we're going... I am so stressed. I have to pack the house for what is either a cross town or halfway across the country move and I won't know which until tomorrow at the soonest and we have to be out of here by mon. Oy.

#22 ·
My daughter is 5 and has sensory seeking SPD and PICA (eating non food items).

IS it common for children to stand REALLY REALLY REALLY close to the tv? And it doesn't seem as though she is watching the show...but rather the movement of stuff....does that make sense?

#24 ·
Hi.

We are just beginning OT with ds (5) who has some issues with sensory overresponsiveness.

mama_y_sol, I wanted to respond to your post, because we have been there too with ds. For him it peaked around 3.5/4 yo, and now he is willing to wear clothes when we go places or have guests over, with some caveats. Alone with us at home he is naked almost the entire time.

Things that helped us were finding the right clothes with the right fit... It sounds like you have tried that quite a bit already, so probably not a new idea. FWIW, ds wears plain tops and bottoms (no tags, minimal seams, no decals or designs, just soft cotton jersey material or polarfleece) pretty comfortably. No underwear, absolutely no layers, no jackets, nothing remotely bunchy, stiff, scratchy, or... well, you know.

Some things that have helped are making sure the clothes is the right temperature (eg. in winter we will warm up his clothes quickly on the wood stove), no fragrance in the detergent (we never had any, but have had times when others wash borrowed clothes or something), and letting him rewear clothes until it's decidedly dirty.

It's hard. We still have issues with enjoying winter/rainy/certain activities because of his clothing restrictions, but at least it isn't as restrictive as it used to be. One that is currently a bummer is that he would like to go to one of the big aquatic centers near here, but won't go to a swimming pool that requires him to wear a bathing suit, and we don't have a pool of our own.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy amber View Post
we just had ot eval for dd (3.75) and I can totally relate to the pp about finally feeling some recognition and not feeling like I'm some crazy/hyperactive mama

dd is a definite sensory seeker, possible auditory stuff going on and adhd.
we are going to begin therapy next week.
tantrums and defiance are awful right now. and dh is struggling to come to terms with all this. he is having a hard time thinking outside the box and coming to terms with the realization that he/we need to try new strategies for dealing with dd's defiance/energy/sensory-seeking behavior. it's also really hard or me to relay all the info I read/hear/come across and he is so so so overwhelmed with work/school (he is sole financial provider and full-time grad student) that it's hard for him to do the reading himself.
I just finished the out-of-sync child and the explosive child and wish I could better relay to dh all the helpful info I came across...
I'm trying hard to remember daily that dd is not *trying* to be a psycho-child...the difficulty listening to ANYTHING and the aggression/antagonism toward her baby brother are my hot-button issues.
thanks for the thread!!
My DH is also having similar issues, only I'm the academic with no time to read
. I have been reading up on SPD, however, because I'm the only one who will
...I've found that the best way to communicate to DH about it is to actually read excerpts of the best stuff out-loud after DS has gone to bed. Try it and see if he is receptive...

#26 ·
Anyone else's kid chew on themselves? DS started gnawing on his own hands today... I keep giving him toys to chew on, but he keeps going back to his fingers. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.