ADHD and Chores...(Updated) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-16-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help setting up a system for my ADHD dc. I looked for something to purchase locally and could not find anything.

Any online ones that are FANTASTIC? Anyone make their own? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance! I forget sometimes to tell this board how much I appreciate everyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
See update below for our system "in action".

K- Mama to : and :
#2 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We make our own chore charts in MS Word. I keep saying I'll laminate them but I don't. We HAVE the Melissa and Doug one with the magnetic pieces, but I can't hang it on the fridge because I don't have a strong enough magnet and we've found that the fridge was "the place".

And although we don't do it for chores, with ADHD you might think about multiple visual reminders. So maybe a chart of three tasks in the bedroom and another 3 downstairs or whatever.

How are you handling school organization? I'm a former teacher and I know that is HUGE for kids with ADHD.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
kme

For my 11 year old with ADHD, I have found that charts and things don't really work. Although it is wasteful, I make a list every day of all the things he needs to get done before bedtime, including homework, sports practices, chores, reading, practice guitar, etc. That way, he has a visual of what he needs to do. He often crosses things off as they are done. I have found with him, he actually needs to SEE what is coming up that afternoon/evening in order to not become overwhelmed - even the the things that are not chores. So, for example, he can see that he has wrestling practice that night so he better get some of the other things done earlier. It helps with his time management which is huge for him especially now that he is in middle school and he has more activities outside the home. That's just what works for him.
#4 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM

For overall chores, anything that you can hang in a central place. If they have certain chores to do before school (brush teeth, comb hair, make bed) I love making chore bracelts. Take those spiral telephone cord style bracelets and hang the chore cards on them. I've just laminated the chores to help them hold up better. Then, the kids have the bracelet, slightly in the way, to remind them what needs to be done. When they get off task and into something else, the bracelet is a physical reminder.
#5 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kme View Post
For my 11 year old with ADHD, I have found that charts and things don't really work. Although it is wasteful, I make a list every day of all the things he needs to get done before bedtime, including homework, sports practices, chores, reading, practice guitar, etc. That way, he has a visual of what he needs to do. He often crosses things off as they are done. I have found with him, he actually needs to SEE what is coming up that afternoon/evening in order to not become overwhelmed - even the the things that are not chores. So, for example, he can see that he has wrestling practice that night so he better get some of the other things done earlier. It helps with his time management which is huge for him especially now that he is in middle school and he has more activities outside the home. That's just what works for him.
Would a white board work for this? We were beginning to think that might work.

#6 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
We make our own chore charts in MS Word. I keep saying I'll laminate them but I don't. We HAVE the Melissa and Doug one with the magnetic pieces, but I can't hang it on the fridge because I don't have a strong enough magnet and we've found that the fridge was "the place".

And although we don't do it for chores, with ADHD you might think about multiple visual reminders. So maybe a chart of three tasks in the bedroom and another 3 downstairs or whatever.

How are you handling school organization? I'm a former teacher and I know that is HUGE for kids with ADHD.
What types of jobs do you put on it? We think that we know where our spot is to put it (central spot in the house), but it would be on a wall. I am trying to figure out if a white board would work, otherwise I may try a metal board and magnets (the laminated paper sounds good).

School organization is a whole different issue, lol! I am also a teacher and so far he is doing okay with it at school. They do a homework sheet for his grade, so there is not much writing it down on his part. He often forgets his homework, so sometimes it makes it to my classroom, others it doesn't. While I was very concerned for this year (we had some MAJOR issues last year) he has seemed to click with his teacher well, she is very understanding of his difficulties with ADHD, SPD, possibly Aspergers, etc. Any tips would be very useful though!!! The big issue lately seems to be that he HATES doing homework for me. Smart as the dickens though. Very frustrating on that level. Me on the other hand...lol! Let's just say that the organizational issues are an apple that hasn't fallen far from the tree.

#7 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
For overall chores, anything that you can hang in a central place. If they have certain chores to do before school (brush teeth, comb hair, make bed) I love making chore bracelts. Take those spiral telephone cord style bracelets and hang the chore cards on them. I've just laminated the chores to help them hold up better. Then, the kids have the bracelet, slightly in the way, to remind them what needs to be done. When they get off task and into something else, the bracelet is a physical reminder.
I love the idea of a chore bracelet. I do wonder if dc would leave it on, or take it off and loose it. It does sound like a great way for dc to remember the "tasks at hand" though.

#8 of 13 Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
kme

A whiteboard would absolutely work. In fact, I don't know why I never thought of that!
#9 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kme View Post
A whiteboard would absolutely work. In fact, I don't know why I never thought of that!
We found white boards that are half corkboard and half white board. We figured those will be good to keep things like birthday invites for each dc as well. Hoping it works well in action!

#10 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 PM

i was just talking about chores to my sister (who's a teacher). she recommended for my 6 yo to get popsicle sticks and write a chore on each stick. make a pocket to hold the sticks with the chores... and have another pocket with her name on it to put the popsicle sticks in when she's completed the chore. than at the end of the day/week (granted you give an allowance) you can add up each stick.

i was going to make the pockets/holders out of construction paper and put it on the wall in the kitchen.
#11 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkin03 View Post
i was just talking about chores to my sister (who's a teacher). she recommended for my 6 yo to get popsicle sticks and write a chore on each stick. make a pocket to hold the sticks with the chores... and have another pocket with her name on it to put the popsicle sticks in when she's completed the chore. than at the end of the day/week (granted you give an allowance) you can add up each stick.

i was going to make the pockets/holders out of construction paper and put it on the wall in the kitchen.
Ooh I just saw one like this in a family fun book (I think?). They used old clothes and cut the pockets off (like jeans and such), then wrote names in fabric markers. It was very cute!!!

At school when I use pockets for things, I purchase pockets at the teachers store and laminate them. They do hold up for awhile.

#12 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKath View Post
We found white boards that are half corkboard and half white board. We figured those will be good to keep things like birthday invites for each dc as well. Hoping it works well in action!
We finally have these "in action"! Each child has their own board. They are hung with the white board on top, cork on bottom in a central location of our house. On the whiteboard are all chores on written on colored cardboard and attached with magnets; daily chores are on red and weekly chores are on pink. There are also 2 hooks. When the kids do a chore, they take it and hang it on a hook so they know it is done. On the corkboard they made name signs for themselves and we can put things that are specific to them- party invites, field trip info, weekly spelling words, etc.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for ideas!

#13 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I use a white board for my 9 year old daughter who is in the diagnostic process right now. She's EXTREMELY forgetful and will forget to change her underwear if I don't remind her. A white board is really really helpful for a visual reminder to take some pressure off me and keep her from getting angry.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page