Ten year old daughter going through crisis, please give words or support!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ten year old daughter has always been an anxious girl. She is a great girl, loved at school, makes good grades. She developed horrible anxiety about three months ago. Her anxiety attacks have became so severe. She also developed severe OCD symptoms about a month ago. She now believes that all of her foods might have a trace of peanut in them (she is allergic) she is afraid to eat anything. She has lost 70 pounds since August. She was very overweight then. She is still losing weight. They wanted to hospitalize her Tuesday night, but she didn't meet criteria because she hadn't been on her med increase long enough. She is taking Paxil 20mg, Buspar 20mg, and Vistaril 50mg twice daily. She has developed this hyperventilation syndrome where she does this fast breathing thing ALL DAY. It is so frustrating to listen to.

She is still afraid of all foods. Is living on lots of Ensure right now. Her meds have seemed to help a little bit so far (just increased them a few days ago) Her psych. seems to think she will soon come out of this crisis.

I am so scared. I want her to EAT. I want her to be okay. I want my little girl back. I cry everyday. I wake up fearful that the day will get worse and I'll have to let her go to a hospital without me. It kills me!!! I am 35 weeks pregnant to boot and taking care of other little ones.

This current crisis started on the 31st of December when MY mother left with a man she met on a gaming website and moved in with him. This is coming from a woman who has been married for 33 years to my father, owned a home, etc. She just up and left. We couldn't find her. Filed missing persons. Finally located her. She is acting so weird, drinking, going to bars. The man she is with is violent and controlling. We can't do anything. My ten year old was REALLY close to her and is taking it soooooooooo hard, hence the current crisis.

I really need support. If you can write me back or if there is someone who wants to be my phone friend when I get down and need to talk? Do you think my daughter will ever "be back"?? I just want my girl back. I am so depressed over this. It is taking over my life. If anyone will talk with me or wants to be my phone friend to get me through this, please pm. I used to have my mother to talk to, now she won't speak to me. She was my best friend My mother is now mentally ill, living in New York with some crazy crazy man that we don't even know.

#2 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 AM

I'm sorry mama, that sounds like a really rough situation all around.

I don't really have anything substantial to offer, just couldn't read and not post. You sound very overwhelmed, understandably! Do you have other family around for support?

I hope things get better for you soon...
#3 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 04:27 AM

I couldn't read and not post anything, and I am so very sorry you're going through this right now. I will keep you and your darling daughter in my thoughts.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#4 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 AM

This must be so scary for you! I'm sorry your DD is having such a terrible time. I hope the meds stabilize her soon and she begins eating real foods again. It sounds like the psych thinks she'll come back. That's good news.

OCD is hard. (Mine is more of the checking variety and germ aversion.) Would she possibly eat something that was certified to be nut-free on the packaging? Maybe seeing it in print would help?

I hope your mom comes to her senses and gets out of that situation soon. That's scary too! You are really dealing with a lot now.

I'll check back on your thread to see how you are doing. (I am dealing with a 6 year old with anxiety which is why I am up so late.)

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#5 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Hang in there. OCD is tough, but it is treatable. It can take a bit to get the meds right.
#6 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am so sorry.

I am not usually a fan of frozen dinners, but they might work. When my roommate was convinced people were trying to kill her by giving her foods with nuts in them, it was all she would eat until the meds kicked in. She would just read the package over and over again, but at lease she ate.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#7 of 15 Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM

((((Hugs)))) I couldn't not respond. What a difficult situation for her and also for you! I don't have anything great to offer besides possibly trying some certified peanut free packaged food. Lots of pt&p heading your way though!

K- Mama to : and :
#8 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have panic d/o and anxiety d/o. While the meds she is on can help the ocd.. I don't see any benzodiazapams!! those help anxiety QUICKLY, like within 15 minutes. Her other meds could take nearly a month to see effects. I would ask the psych about that.

She is still your little girl, she's just your very scared, well terrified little girl that needs some help.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#9 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 AM

Huge hugs to you, Mama.

Please stick by your little girl...I know you want to worry about your Mom and her illness right now, too, but you can't do anything about that right now.

Push her docs to give her something that alleviates the anxiety more.

Children who are dx'ed w/mental or emotional type illnesses often do well in the long term when they have proper care and family--being young gives them flexibility to learn how to compensate for their illness.

Hang in there!!!!

Meg
#10 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 AM

I'm so sorry you and your sweet girl are going through this. Perhaps she might be amenable to seeing you (or helping you) prepare a meal so in fact she can see it is peanut free? Maybe she could help shop for ingredients that she is comfortable eating?

I hope she gets through this challenge soon.
#11 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKath View Post
((((Hugs)))) I couldn't not respond. What a difficult situation for her and also for you! I don't have anything great to offer besides possibly trying some certified peanut free packaged food. Lots of pt&p heading your way though!
Health food stores carry products were it says right on the package that it is nut free. I wonder though, do you have her in counseling? It really sounds like given all that you guys have been through lately that a therapist is really needed right now. Meds will only do so much. ((((((((HUGS)))))) to both of you.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#12 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Oh mama!! How scary! I hope the meds kick in soon. I have heard that treating the OCD and anxiety with meds can be really succesful. I will keep you and your dd in my thoughts.

#13 of 15 Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM

I was just wondering how you are doing? I hope your DD is responding to the meds now and has started to eat. Did you have your baby?

I hope you are finding some support IRL as well.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#14 of 15 Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Ay, ay, ay! You sound so overwhelmed dear! I'm going agree with a few of the ladies who responded previously about the certified peanut free foods. Have you looked at co-ops or anywhere for foods like that? Maybe an online organic website with peanut free products? I bet that would help immensely! Also, definitely just stick by your daughter's side. Most of these things she's experiencing, she probably can't help. And if you're stressed, it might make her more stressed, etc. Has she/ have you tried any relaxation techniques or anything for her/ you? Maybe you could both do yoga together or something? I'm unfortunately not too familiar with OCD or anything, but my biggest concern after reading this was the lack of relaxation and breathing. Oh and the foods too. Hope those suggestions could help! Let us all know how things are going! Much love.

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
#15 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 PM

Has she been checked for PANDAS? A friend's child was diagnosed and treated and the OCD behaviors resolved. He was never known to have had a strep infection but had the antibodies. If untreated, more and more damage is done to the basal ganglia by the immune system.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0811143538.htm

I hope that she is doing better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page