DH making DS worse? how to help? (SPD issues) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am away on vacation without DH. DS is so much better than he usually is. (DH and DS are both over responsive SPD) i can't figure out if it's all the exercise DS is getting here or the lack of dad. i am suspecting both. it seems clear DH affects DS' issues in a negative way. thsi upsets me, but i know DH didn't choose to have SPD anymore than DS has.

i wonder how to help? i am feeling frustrated DS is so much better here and evening and bedtime is such a nightmare at home. every night it's explosions, anger, conflict and negativity.

DH *is* trying to learn new ways to deal with DS, but i know he'll probably never get over his hair trigger and his over-responsiveness toward the kids. it's too much a part of who he is a a human being.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 PM

not sure.

Theo is a lot more nutty, wound, and silly whenEVER daddy is home. So much more calm just me and him and brother.

Not sure.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#3 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 03:39 AM

I understand where you're coming from... we moved across the country and dh's new job is really draining and the hours are all over the place. Before we moved he was great with the kids but now he has a pretty short fuse. I realized that when he has that energy, it's easier to not have him there at all.
When I see him starting to get all worked up I try to butt in and give him an out, like emptying the garbage or just going out to sit in the garage until he calms down. doesn't always work when it does it's great.
Would it be possible for you to facilitate the bedtime routine? Maybe talk to your dh about what's happening there and see if he'd agree to a trial run when you get home. He could like take care of dishes or laundry or whatever and you can do the evening bedtime stuff? In a perfect world everyone would get used to having smoother evenings and then your dh could transition into a more active roll in it? Ha yeah I know it's never that simple but something to think about.

mom to ds (6) + ds (3) and 11/22/09
#4 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

i would put both kids to bed, but DS *insists* daddy put him to bed.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Sounds like DS really wants a calm time to connect with dad. Maybe that can be provided at some other time during the day ( dinner, bath?) and you can take over bedtime. At this point if you really think it is making DS's issues worse, I'd use my mommy trumping power coupled with a replacement time and just flat out put my foot down and say no. If that routine isn't working then it isn't working and it needs to be replaced.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page