Idiopathic bilateral hydronephrosis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a LO with this?

DS (almost 8) was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago and I had mostly put it out of my mind until I read something recently and got freaked out.

Here's what happened:

One evening he had a slight bit of blood in his urine (just a small amount at the very end of the stream). I had him in to the doctor within 48-hours. His urine tested neg. for blood and it has never happened again. The doc said it was probably a fluke thing (possibly an slight injury) and to just let it go unless it happened again.

I was a little unsettled so I took him to a ped. urologist who did an ultrasound. The u/s was normal except for the bilateral hydronephrosis. Urologist sent us for a VCUG, which was totally normal. We were told that the hydronephrosis was just a "normal abnormal". The urologist said he'd seen cases like ours before and, based on the imagining, we didn't need to come back unless DS developed strange symptoms or had more bleeding. BTW -- he also said the bleeding was either the result of some trauma or, possibly, from holding his urine for too long.

So -- anyone ever heard of this?
#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 AM

I don't know anything about "idiopathic" hydronephrosis specifically, but I do know that some children have mild hydronephrosis and don't require any treatment for it. Having blood in the urine is also common with no other issues or problems. It only takes a very small amount of blood for urine to look red.

DD has a number of urological issues, and had mild hydronephrosis which her urologist was unconcerned about because it was mild. We did monitor it (only b/c of her other issues) and it eventually went away. It sounds like your urologist performed all the right testing to ensure that there was not a problem, but if you are concerned you might want to have another u/s done. If he has not shown any other signs or symptoms of urinary problems, I wouldn't be overly concerned, but I know that is easier said than done.

eta- It's also fairly common for babies to show hydro in utero and for it to correct itself before birth.
#3 of 4 Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't be too overly concerned, but I would definitly have him under the care of a nephrologist instead of a urologist for yearly monitoring kwim.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#4 of 4 Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM

The blood in the urine could have been a stone. It is not as likely but can happen in children, and people in the southern states are more prone. Not that those with hydro are more prone to stones but they can be affected by dehydration more.

When I was pregnant with my second child they saw that his kidneys were slightly dialated in utero so they just followed him with sonos throughout the rest of the pregnancy. They ran all the different tests after he was born and could find no reason for his condidtion. Between 4 and 5 he started to have vomiting fits every so many months for 24 hours with no other symptoms - which would dehydrate him and may have been caused by dehydration. At 5 years old he was admitted for observation after a bad bout that left his electrolytes low. He only had stomach pain and vomiting... three days later they found that he had 2 kidney stones. Thye treated the pain, placed a stent and after a few weeks they passed and the stent was removed...

So it is ok to be worried BUT not too worried. After the stones we just make sure our DS stays well hydrated, gets cooled off after activities, and switched him from Soccer to gymnastics (so he could be active but not get dehydrated to quickly from being in the sun)... The only thing we do beyond that is a yearly renal ultrsound to keep track of his kidney's. Good luck and ask your nephrologist for input, if you have one and get one if you dont.

~Proud mom of a "stoner" and hyro kid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page