**Update** It's all falling apart...transition from EI to IEP - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good idea about the list. Now if I can just get this adorable 4 month old in my lap to go to sleep, LOL!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 AM

My 2 year old was like that tonight, and now this 28 weeker in the belly is going nuts.

Good luck. I sent you a PM with my cell number if you need anything else.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Update...

The meeting did not go well.

They are arguing LRE requires he stay in home district.
They are arguing that an interpreter is equivalent.
They are arguing that the whole class will learn to sign so he can socialize freely.
They are arguing a lot more that is absurd and in some cases biased against the Deaf community. They said some things that might bite them in the butt when this goes to mediation (for example, at the end the director said "there's nothing you can bring me (referring to tests, evaluations, laws, etc) that will change my mind. He's not going out of district."

I need to type it all out, but I have a fussy baby, two crazy toddlers, and I'm mentally exhausted.

I'll be back.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so sorry! Sounds like you are going to have to kick the fight into high gear. Just what you want to do with a baby and two toddlers.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Update...

The meeting did not go well.

They are arguing LRE requires he stay in home district.
They are arguing that an interpreter is equivalent.
They are arguing that the whole class will learn to sign so he can socialize freely.
They are arguing a lot more that is absurd and in some cases biased against the Deaf community. They said some things that might bite them in the butt when this goes to mediation (for example, at the end the director said "there's nothing you can bring me (referring to tests, evaluations, laws, etc) that will change my mind. He's not going out of district."

I need to type it all out, but I have a fussy baby, two crazy toddlers, and I'm mentally exhausted.

I'll be back.
1) LRE - means he is put into the Least Restrictive Environment. Meaning he is not pulled out of normal educational classes more than is absolutely needed. It does not mean he has to stay in district to for his education.
2) Are they talking about an ASL in general, or an Educational ASL? There is a total difference between the two. From what I have read, not only does the individual have to be proficient in ASL, but they also have to have a background in education for the level they will be signing at, so in this case Early Childhood Education.
3) Do they realize the actual cost involved in it to them. Not only does the Educational ASL need to be there for all the time he is there in this case, but they also have to be paid their time for preparing and reviewing the teacher's lesson plans so they are familiar with them.
4) The teacher is going to have to modify how S/HE does things, in that they are going to have to keep Connor close to their sight at all times, so he can watch her and watch the Educational ASL Interp. It is a coordinated effort between the two.
5) They cannot force the entire class to learn sign language. I am sure many of the parents of children in the class will be pissed off when they learn that their children will be forced to learn sign language and use it in the classroom. Not only that, but who is going to teach the kids sign language. It is not the job of the Educational ASL to teach ASL. They will have to also hire a teacher to come in and teach ASL to the students. The only responsibility of the Educational ASL is to interpret for your child.
6) Another issue comes in that, what happens when school starts up next year, there are going to be students from there moving onto Kinder at the end of this year, and new students coming in. Basically they are going to have to start him over every single year for the next two years with the socialization. Not only that, but because the kids will not be practicing the ASL over the summer (we are talking 12 weeks/3 months off), how many of them are going to retain what they learn.
7) Have they even posted the position yet? If not, when? And who are they going to bring in as a sub? Again, demand to see this person's qualifications, including educational qualifications. I believe they have to have at least some sort of teacher's license to be an Educational ASL Interp. Right now, they have 7 working days to advertise and fill the position. Do you think they are even going to be able to put together an appropriate add with all the relevant information in that short of a period of time, let alone screen and do the required background checks in the State of Ohio? Highly doubtful. It takes up to two weeks to do the criminal background checks, because they have to do fingerprints, etc. Oh, this will also have to be done for anyone they hire as a temp to fill the position, the criminal background check. IT CANNOT BE DONE. So, is he going to sit in the classroom with no one to sign for him the whole time, until it can be done?

Ok, I am off my soapbox. I just think all local districts are trying to pinch pennies in anyway they can.

I would try to work with the school for the deaf and see what they can help you with resource wise. I would also contact OCECD, and the ODE. I am sure though OCECD will probably refer you to the School for the Deaf as they will probably be your best resource.

I wonder if you can contact the Educational ASL Interp for Dayton Public, they have one, and I found her contact information on-line the other day. I think I goggled "Dayton Ohio Educational ASL Interpreters".
Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been on the other side of the table for the IEPs, and I have some limited advice.

List our under what circumstances you would be willing to not transfer (it will make you appear to be willing to compromise, even if they can not meet these circumstances).

Line up each detail of his IEP by condition. If you delineate needs due to allergies, meds, feeding, communicating, etc. In easy terms it will help. Specifically list out what accomodations each team member will need to be able to help with. The director may have made up her mind, but the rest of the team (teachers, nurse, therapist, etc have not). I have seen a director cave because the rest of the team ganged up on her.

verify that the other school has an opening. If so, ask for temporary placement until the school district can meet the needs for you IEP. Even if the had an appropriate interpreter on staff, it would be difficult to assure all the other needs could be met in so short a time.

Focus on other needs (swallowing & allergies) as well, use the terms "life threatening repercussions" if the IEP is not strictly followed. That is scary terminology for schools.

I hope it all helps. Keep us updated.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Old 02-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Ok, here are a few more resources for you...

http://olrs.ohio.gov/asp/olrs_SpecialEducation.asp

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templa...&Content=74616

- See page 20 of above referenced book, particularly:
The communication needs of your child, which include listening, speaking, reading and writing. If your child is deaf or hard of hearing, the individualized education program team must consider your child’s language and communication needs. It must consider what opportunities your child will have for direct communication with classmates, teachers and therapists in your child’s language and communication mode, academic level and full range of needs. This includes opportunities for one-on-one instruction in your child’s language and communication mode

http://www.agbell.org/DesktopDefault.aspx
Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
1) LRE - means he is put into the Least Restrictive Environment. Meaning he is not pulled out of normal educational classes more than is absolutely needed. It does not mean he has to stay in district to for his education.
2) Are they talking about an ASL in general, or an Educational ASL? There is a total difference between the two. From what I have read, not only does the individual have to be proficient in ASL, but they also have to have a background in education for the level they will be signing at, so in this case Early Childhood Education.
3) Do they realize the actual cost involved in it to them. Not only does the Educational ASL need to be there for all the time he is there in this case, but they also have to be paid their time for preparing and reviewing the teacher's lesson plans so they are familiar with them.
4) The teacher is going to have to modify how S/HE does things, in that they are going to have to keep Connor close to their sight at all times, so he can watch her and watch the Educational ASL Interp. It is a coordinated effort between the two.
5) They cannot force the entire class to learn sign language. I am sure many of the parents of children in the class will be pissed off when they learn that their children will be forced to learn sign language and use it in the classroom. Not only that, but who is going to teach the kids sign language. It is not the job of the Educational ASL to teach ASL. They will have to also hire a teacher to come in and teach ASL to the students. The only responsibility of the Educational ASL is to interpret for your child.
6) Another issue comes in that, what happens when school starts up next year, there are going to be students from there moving onto Kinder at the end of this year, and new students coming in. Basically they are going to have to start him over every single year for the next two years with the socialization. Not only that, but because the kids will not be practicing the ASL over the summer (we are talking 12 weeks/3 months off), how many of them are going to retain what they learn.
7) Have they even posted the position yet? If not, when? And who are they going to bring in as a sub? Again, demand to see this person's qualifications, including educational qualifications. I believe they have to have at least some sort of teacher's license to be an Educational ASL Interp. Right now, they have 7 working days to advertise and fill the position. Do you think they are even going to be able to put together an appropriate add with all the relevant information in that short of a period of time, let alone screen and do the required background checks in the State of Ohio? Highly doubtful. It takes up to two weeks to do the criminal background checks, because they have to do fingerprints, etc. Oh, this will also have to be done for anyone they hire as a temp to fill the position, the criminal background check. IT CANNOT BE DONE. So, is he going to sit in the classroom with no one to sign for him the whole time, until it can be done?

Ok, I am off my soapbox. I just think all local districts are trying to pinch pennies in anyway they can.

I would try to work with the school for the deaf and see what they can help you with resource wise. I would also contact OCECD, and the ODE. I am sure though OCECD will probably refer you to the School for the Deaf as they will probably be your best resource.

I wonder if you can contact the Educational ASL Interp for Dayton Public, they have one, and I found her contact information on-line the other day. I think I goggled "Dayton Ohio Educational ASL Interpreters".
FWIW, I agree completely with the bolded, but that is not how most states/districts are interpreting the law. This is one big, big issue for some SN kids, and a reason a lot of the old Deaf schools are having such problems now. Some if the decline in the deaf population, sure, but some is the fact that LRE is being interpreted as "your neighborhood school." I agree that documenting each and every issue that they will need to address starting a very few weeks from now is the way to go.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 AM

This is a great website: www.wrightslaw.com

It is highly doubtful that they will be able to fill this position with a qualified person, substitute or not, in 7 days. No freaking way. Make sure you tell the school that the clock starts ticking on that day, and that you are expecting that his services will be made up in full if your little one is not able to start right away. They will have to do make-up hours of OT and Speech, too.

Also, it is completely ridiculous that he said that the rest of the class will be taught ASL. Ask who they have hired to teach this, and how it is going to be added into the curriculum.

My prediction? Your little one will be sent out of district. They are pushing you to see what they can get away with and if you cave. Don't.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 AM

Do you have any advocacy organizations? If there are advocates for the disabled in your community, they should be able to connect you with a special education advocate (NOT a parent advocate, they're useless--at least they are around here).

The points you MUST hammer on--the only ones that they are legally obligated to follow--is least restrictive environment and free and appropriate education. DON'T let the word best to enter your vocabulary--they don't have to give you 'best,' and they'll tell you this.

It is absolutely more restrictive to make his only route of communication through one person. The school district is doing a bunch of fast-talking to make it seem as if they can replicate what this other school has--they can't, and they know it. Hang in there.

You're taping the meetings, right?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 AM

I was going to say what Betsy asked. Can you get an advocate (I didn't get a chance to read all the responses so it could have been discussed). I had an advocate for my boys and I won't do another IEP without her. Even if you aren't arguing over things like you are this time, they usually still are worth every penny to make sure everything is covered. Some will do pro bono or set up payment plans. Also, getting an advocate involved may keep you from going to mediation and get this over quicker.
Good luck!

ETA: I just read your last response. You definitely need to tape these meetings if you aren't. I am sorry you are going through this!

User Tag List