Scared to even ask...seizure? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been afraid to ask this because our family has taken so many hits lately that I don't think I could handle another but here goes....

Right before Christmas Andrew was taking some meds that needed dosed in the night (three times per day, even spacing important according to doctor). He was taking his early morning (4 am I believe) dose and staying awake. Nightmare for me and for him in terms of lack of sleeping messing up his health. So I decided to give him melatonin w/that 4 am dose because we had a big night planned w/family and I wanted him somewhat rested. This was the only day I did that.

He woke up between 7 and 7:30 that day. He seemed his usual very awake and happy self. I brought him into my room which was semi-dark (window light coming in around curtains but lights off). He was chattering about trains and stopped mid-sentence, looked startled in his face (as if a person was falling asleep and suddenly woke up), and lost his train of thought completely. It was weird. Then he started talking again and it happened again. Then again. At this point I'm concerned/stunned I guess. I started talking w/him and he did it again and lost what I was saying. Then again. At this point I'm really scared so I took him in the living room (bright light there) and set up a video camera. He talked and talked and it never happened again. I watched him all day and saw nothing weird. Nothing like that has happened since though Andrew is generally inattentive and so spaces out a lot.

I called his geneticist (metabolic condition) and he said (via nurse) that Andrew was probably in some kind of sleep walking type state and he wasn't concerned. I don't think he was sleep walking at all. However, he came into that day short on sleep and he likely did still have some melatonin in him so maybe he was sort of falling asleep. He seemed so very awake though outside of those moments and the rest of the day.

What do you think? Concern or not?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds scary.
I don't know much about seizures, but hopefully someone else will pipe in.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Could be a lot of things. If it is seizures, it will happen again and then you should definitely it an eval. It could just be a weird reaction to the med & the melatonin. I wish I could ease you mind, but there are just so many possibilities. You did the right thing in talking to your doc, I would follow his advice, but watch DS for any additional episodes.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 AM

It could be absence seizures, but it's hard to know, especially after only one episode. mama.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 AM

I'm very familiar with sz but not melatonin and its effects. The thing about seizures is that it can take any form. My gut tells me its not because he was active and not sleepy immediately after. Generally, postictal state is sleepy.

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmothermary View Post
I'm very familiar with sz but not melatonin and its effects. The thing about seizures is that it can take any form. My gut tells me its not because he was active and not sleepy immediately after. Generally, postictal state is sleepy.
it's not abnormal to skip a noticeable post-ictal state after absence seizures.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM

those sound a bit like some of my son's seizures, definitely. I started keeping a log to make sure of what I was seeing, and it helped the neurologist immensely when we got a referral.

hopefully it was just the melatonin.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 AM

Could be seizures, could be weirdness from the melatonin. When my daughter awakes a few hours after melatonin, she has done some odd things like that. However it could also be absence seizures, which don't have a typical post ictal state - my son has partial complex seizures and he has had some absence seizures. Definite post ictal state after the complex and none after the absence.

I agree with the others, if it was a seizure it is likely to happen again. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Hopefully it wasn't seizure activity but if it is...like others have mentioned...it'll happen again. Worrying about our kids is hard. Sorry that you have to worry right now.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).

User Tag List