bloody stoma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Linden's tube got pulled out 10 days ago, spent a few days in the hospital and got it replaced last tuesday. Well for the past three days he's been complaining of some pretty extreme stoma pain. At first that's all it was. Yesterday I loosened it a little so that I could look at it and see if there was anything in there bothering him and blood started pouring out his stoma. We cleaned it, and I left it a bit loose and stuck some allyven under the disk. This morning he's screaming because it hurts so bad and it's still bleeding. I have a call in to the dr and I'm sure we're going to have to go in, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what this might be. Could infection make it bleed like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

ah found a pressure sore under the disk. He's been tightening it over and over because he's afraid it'll fall out. So I think the compulsive tube tightening eventually just gave him a sore. I've got neosporin and a nice moist woud dressing under it, so hopefully that'll do the trick.
#3 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Ouch! Hope he's feeling better soon!
#4 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

he hasn't made a peep about it since I loosened it so much and put the neospirin and dressing on it. Now I just gotta convince him that it's not going to fall out if it's not crazy tight.
#5 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM

you beat me to my possible answer! Hope it continues to feel better. Do you use anything like calmoseptine on it?
#6 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Yikes.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#7 of 11 Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Is this why y'all are there? What happened?

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#8 of 11 Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

no, he started puking yesterday morning and puked 13 times, so we had to go in. The contrast from our last hospital stay a week earlier was still in there. So they turned off feeds and did the MOM enema and got some stuff out and then we tried starting feeds this morning and afternoon and we couldn't get past 20ml/hr and even that made him very aggitated. So we did another round of the MOM enema and got more stuff out and we're giving him a couple of hours off and then this evening and through the night we're going to start at 10ml and work our way up by 10's every hour. Hopefully he'll be on full feeds by morning, that's the plan. Once we get him on full feeds, we're free to go. They think it was just being so backed up that caused him to have the pukes, but I have no idea. His whole gut seemed so backwards.
#9 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

How'd he do last night?

#10 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

we made it up to 63. His heart rate would drop into the 30's and 40's with the pain with the first bunch of increases, but we made it. His HR drops because of the autonomic dysfunction. But he's doing great right now. We'll still be here till at least after lunch, so we should be here still when you guys get here. We're going to do medical play at the stage from 11-12, but should be up in our room after that if you guys get here early and want to waste time.
#11 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Awesome! We'll try to make it by.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page