Kid does better fasting - what does that mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Short backstory: kiddo seems to have very varying energy levels, we've tried different diet tweaks, some supplements, and today got tested for possible mito issues. Generally with a mito or metabolic issue the rule is to avoid fasting, it can be very harmful. But my kid, after 16 hours of not eating, was much more peaceful, happy and chatty than usual. We have also noticed this change in dispositon and talking levels when ill so I don't think it was a one off thing. Anyone have any idea what that means? We are also looking into possible problems breaking down fats and proteins. After a high protein lunch she got much more argumentative and irritable, as did her sister, who was along for the ride (the menu was part of the test protocol). Anyone have experience with this? I think I read something similar but can't find the thread now. Dr. Google isn't helping, anyone?
#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 AM

Andrew was like that. He's got probable mito (ruled out all other conditions to explain his labs via skin bx. but we decided not to do the muscle bx. at this time). I really think in his case it was because fat was making him so sick, including mentally foggy, and fasting gave him a break from fat. His carnitine profile was a real mess and the build up of the unmetabolized fat was undoubtedly responsible for a lot of what we were seeing.

Kids with metabolics do go downhill in fasting or any stress on the body. The ones who aren't making ketones (hypoketoic hypoglycemia I think it is) are the ones who incur so much severe damage with fasting. Andrew produces huge amounts of ketones though with even a short fast and that is rough on the body but also very protective. I know of other kids like that too in the metabolics world.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 PM

This is really just a guess, but a friend of mine has a son diagnosed with EE eosinophillic esophigitisI think, buut I could be off on the actual spelling) her son had terrible mood and behavior issues, and it turned out to be an inability to digest proteins. I am not very well versed on this but google EE and see if any of it rings any bells.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 11:42 PM

My energy level and moods are more regular/better when fasting and I have reactive hyperglycemia. I have no experience with this in children (mine started as a teen) but just thought I'd mention it. At any rate, if you cut out simple sugars for a couple weeks and if she feels better it could be a question of stabalizing blood sugar. But protein usually helps me so this may be off...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page