fav fidget toy for pre-school group - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am trying a number of things to help DS1 (who is 4) learn to self sooth, or "hold it together" ... also to learn to be able to wait and so on

i thing a smallish toy he could mess with would be good.

but not a car he wants to drive all over, or a plane he wants to fly ....not a figure (same reasons).

i need some ideas. Think ... waiting in shopping check out line, sitting in doc waiting room, car seat, when momma is trying to call doc office and so on .... when momma and daddy are trying to talk ....

maybe even when he gets wild and silly and needs to "settle"

thoughts??

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Hey, I am still working on the PM, so haven't forgotten you But I wanted to pop in and say if you have a Cracker Barrel Rest. near you, they sell these things called fidget sticks that are a huge favorite in our house. Jimmy, almost 12 plays with it, as does Isaac at 2. Jimmy has played with it for years and years. I used to keep it in the car and sometimes he carried it in his pocket to fiddle with. Here is a picture To be honest, we all love the fiddle with it, as do our adult friends For size reference, each cube is probably a centimeter square.
#3 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencarr View Post
Hey, I am still working on the PM, so haven't forgotten you But I wanted to pop in and say if you have a Cracker Barrel Rest. near you, they sell these things called fidget sticks that are a huge favorite in our house. Jimmy, almost 12 plays with it, as does Isaac at 2. Jimmy has played with it for years and years. I used to keep it in the car and sometimes he carried it in his pocket to fiddle with. Here is a picture To be honest, we all love the fiddle with it, as do our adult friends For size reference, each cube is probably a centimeter square.
RE: PM -- take your time, no biggie. you have a busy enough life without worrying about me. I jsut sometimes don't feel i know enough to even ask questions -- and i don't mind looking stupid to you.

thanks for the idea, we do have a CB -- not that we've been in so long since Theo can't handle places like that .... thanks for the idea .. that looks AWSOME

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

#4 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM

I rarely get to CB either, as it is egg contaminated. Connor, Jimmy, and I have developed a ritual where if they are out of school, but Isaac still has preschool, we go there to eat because they love it but there is no safe way to even have Isaac in there. We currently own 4 fidget sticks, and the Easter Bunny found a very cool one with a Transformers face and some wheels for Connor. I also saw a big chunky one with about 5-6 1 1/2 in sq blocks. They are seriously one of my kids favorite toys, and they can play with them for hours! I hope it works for you; it worked great for exactly the types of situations you mentioned for us. Reminds me, I need to toss one in the diaper bag for church...
#5 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really really like this catalog. They have a whole section of 'fidget toys'

fidget toys

The previous mentioned fidget from CB looks good, but if you have a chewer (as we have at our house) be careful, the wooden parts could splinter and/or the paint may not be teeth friendly.

We have used a squishy ball (found at Target), stress balls, Magna Doodle travel size, a taggie blanket, Therabands, weighted blanket, and a chewy (rubber p shaped chew).

A popular 'wait' toy is a Leapster. My DD loves it and we ONLY use it when we have long Dr visits, long car rides, meetings, long phone calls....so it is special.
#6 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Fay

Play dough has been this biggest help for my DS1. He is given a clipboard and a lump of play dough during circle time or other times when he needs to sit with his class.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#7 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMichigan View Post
I really really like this catalog. They have a whole section of 'fidget toys'

fidget toys
THANKS

The previous mentioned fidget from CB looks good, but if you have a chewer (as we have at our house) be careful, the wooden parts could splinter and/or the paint may not be teeth friendly.
I will keep that in mind. I do have a chew boy, al,so a fidget boy.

We have used a squishy ball (found at Target), stress balls,

we are adding these to the "bag" too.

Magna Doodle travel size, a taggie blanket, Therabands, weighted blanket, and a chewy (rubber p shaped chew).

A popular 'wait' toy is a Leapster. My DD loves it and we ONLY use it when we have long Dr visits, long car rides, meetings, long phone calls....so it is special.
thanks

#8 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 AM

Silly Putty!
#9 of 9 Old 07-01-2017, 05:51 PM

They have a great selection of things at happyhands.toys that would keep any kids busy in quiet situations.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page