#1 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM

I had this very severely as an infant, started patching at 6 months old, glasses at 18 months old, vision therapy starting at age 4ish...I wore patches until age 9.

I can't type more right now, but I'll be back. It's not a horrible thing, you'd never know today by looking at me. I do have some slight residual effects, but nothing life-altering.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM

I only have a few minutes, but I wanted to clarify that when I wrote above that it's not a horrible thing, I meant that for me, now, as an adult, it's not even something I think about. I didn't mean to underscore your feelings about it, because I fully understand how it can feel like "one more strike" of unfairness, and no matter how seemingly mild, it's still hard.

My left eye wandered severely to the point of my brain eventually "turning it off", basically my muscle control was so poor, my brain stopped using that eye. I did some combination of patching, glasses, and therapy for 9 years. In som e cases there is a surgery that can be done, I'm not sure why I didn't have it.

Today I have good vision, about 20/30 or so. The issues I have now are because one of my eyes is near-sighted, one is far-sighted. I also have astigmatism, and diplopia (double vision). My vision is good, but my ability to focus is sometimes impaired. Particularly if I have to repeatedly change my focus, for example in school when I had to repeatedly look from my notes to the black board or overhead projector. For some reason lighting changes are especially hard, so the projector was much harder for me than the black/white board. I will see double for fractions of a second until my eyes adjust again. That is tiresome for my eyes, wears on my concentration, and sometimes causes headaches.

I do not have full binocular vision, I often have to close one eye to see things. I can not use binoculars or look through a microscope with both eyes. The image doesn't line up, which drives my eyes/brain crazy (my eyes/brain continuously try to correct it and can't, which tires me and causes headaches).

An ophthalmologist can see my left eye weakness still, but just barely. No one else can see it. No one even knows that I have any vision problems. I do have glasses that I wear when I start to tire, they have a slight prism in them to help correct the double vision.

The only issue my eyes have caused me as an adult is when I tried to enter the military. Diplopia is an automatic disqualification. I was able to get a medical waiver (but I had to go very high up the chain, very high) and I was disqualified from flying (which was fine, I am a Negotiator, I had no desire to fly). I had a little trouble learning how to shoot, particularly from behind a barricade, the split second of delay while I wait for my eyes to focus when I change my gaze was a problem, so I had to learn how to work around that.

But that was it! I served in the military for 4.5 years and now work in Defense Contracting, at a desk job for the most part, and have no issues.

SO...although my eyes were a mess as a young child, they are very functional today!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had the same condition, but it did not appear until after I was school age. I did the patching & glasses, but I was never able to make my eyes work together. I have grown out of the wandering, but I still am almost blind in my left eye. When it is corrected, my brain cannot bring the images from both eyes so I see double.

Once I had done the patching & glasses for about 6 months, the wandering became much less intense. The glasses never bothered me (my mom let me pick out the frames they were sparkly blue). I did not like the patching much, but my mom would let me choose when to patch (i.e. do you want to wear your patch until lunch and then take it off befor ewe go to the park, or do you want to wear it at the park?).

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#5 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM

My dd1 has strabismus. Apparently it runs in the family, quite a few of my nieces and nephews also have it. I did not know that when I first saw her with one eye turned inward however. It scared the bejeesus out of me. She had been jumping on my bed (I allowed that when she was young) and I was so scared she had hit her head or something... we ended up taking her to the ER like crazy people.... anyway the eye doctor gave her patches, but she never cared much for them, but would use them when we let her pick out a sticker to put on it, or decorate them. She was 3.5 when it happened for the first time. She got glasses right away, we did let her pick the frames of course. We went to Lenscrafters that first time and I was not as happy as I have been with the local glasses maker. LC did not have small enough frames and it seemed like they were not used to dealing with small children, but the local place had a lot of frames and are very friendly, plus it is family owned. She has been wearing glasses for years now, and the original optometrist told us if she wore them consistently, her sight would likely be corrected by the age of 8 and she could go without them. They are bifocals. I felt the same way, my perfect little blond haired blue eyed baby, how could she have a defect? But it is what it is and I have gotten over thinking of it as a defect, it is part of her journey, whatever that is.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#6 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 PM

#7 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

#8 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm so sorry that this is stressing you out. My ds1's left eye turned in when he was a baby. He ended up having to have surgery, and it was really scary. He was 10 months old at the time and had to wear glasses and do patching. Buuuut he's now 11 and has improved so much that he's out of glasses now, because his vision is better. But, he was so upset about not having to wear glasses again that he asked us to get him ones with just glass in them.

The good news is that you have caught it early. The earlier the better because it's easier to fix usually if caught early. My bil's was so minimal that it wasn't caught until he was in 6th grade. By then he was legally blind in the eye that turned in. If they had caught it earlier, they may have been able to help.

#9 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Ds also has strabismus, acommodative esotropia. He likes wearing glasses, especially when he realised he sees better with them than without. I try to make it a positive thing, let him pick his own frames, we plan to see Harry potter soon
Adults always comment that they used to wear glasses, or they have a son/nephew who wears glasses, or how cute ds looks.

Our doctor said ds will have to wear glasses permanently (he's also farsighted), but she said he won't need surgery or patches, which is good. So don't be too upset until you know exactly what your dd has.

caffix.gif

#10 of 11 Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

#11 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Mostly subbing here . . .

DS has intermittent strabismus and nystagmus. He wears bifocals (when I can get him to keep them on!) and we are considering vision therapy.

Patching and glasses can be tough to get LOs to cooperate!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page