Anyone Experience Extraneous Tissue Falling Off Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter was born without her right foot and in place of her foot was some extra tissue of which part of it was expected to just fall off - she is 6 months now and this "toe" as it is commonly referred to is obviously dying - it is turning blue and is appearing to scab up a bit - doctors want it to fall off naturally to avoid a procedure and it looks like it should happen any time now, but it is bothering her and causing obvious discomfort and sometimes pain (we have to be careful not to touch it) - when will it fall off? What are the signs? Anyone know how to sooth a baby until it does? Anyone know?

Any thoughts or help appreciated ... thanks!

Send a free breast cancer ribbon to a woman you care about to remind them to get their annual mammogram - early detection can save lives!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Um I have no Idea why they would not just take it off - give a good local anesthetic and remove it. The other option I would see is one that is commonly used in vetrinary medicine to "remove" parts. That is to place a heavy elastic band around it to cut off circulation and it is usually gone in a matter of a week - with no pain as you are clamping off the blood supply to the nerves (we use this to casterate young calves, and some vets use it to dock tails of dogs and sheep)
Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is an option to get it removed, but doctors want to wait because she is so small and the risks of anesthesia is high until at least a year. Banding may be an option too - we see her ped next Thursday so may happen then, but really am hoping it comes off by then - it is totally dangling now and I am tempted to just twist it off if she is not bothered by it because it is barely on and literally dangling by what would be the thickness of a thuick piece of thread, but I am afraid to do that for obvious reasons ... I wish it would just come off already!

Send a free breast cancer ribbon to a woman you care about to remind them to get their annual mammogram - early detection can save lives!

User Tag List