how long did it take to get mri results? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had Timothy's MRI Friday afternoon and when I talked to the nurse, she said she wasn't sure if we would have the results by Tuesday (our scheduled appointment). How long should it normally take to get the results?

~Lizzie~

Four boys: Corey (11) blahblah.gif , Aiden REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif  (8), Simon superhero.gif   (5), Timothy bouncy.gif (2).  Shh! Surprise no. 5 in October 2012! belly.gif

#2 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Way before then.
We've gotten the results the same day.
The doc just needs to look at them, really. They are there, in the computer.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#3 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM

My son had an MRI of his brain and spine and it took over a week to get the results...then they needed to consult with several people so it took another week to interpret them. For your sake, I hope his was an unusual case.
#4 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM

It depends on the situation. When we have on inpatient, they are read stat and the report sent to the team that ordered it and who we're admitted under. If we're outpatient then it takes a week to 10 days usually. just depends.
#5 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 PM

I had my MRIs on a Tuesday evening and had my results by late Friday night. The doctor actually called me at home at around 8 PM because he knew I was nervous about it.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#6 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM

Depends on the situation. Gabrielle has had like 6 MRI's. Some are same day others a couple of days.

Now when we lived in Bozeman, they had to send the MRI's to Primary Children's in SLC because the Radiologist in Bozeman wasn't familar with my daughter's condition.

So sometimes they have to send them elsewhere for additional opinions.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Depends on the situation. Gabrielle has had like 6 MRI's. Some are same day others a couple of days.

Now when we lived in Bozeman, they had to send the MRI's to Primary Children's in SLC because the Radiologist in Bozeman wasn't familar with my daughter's condition.

So sometimes they have to send them elsewhere for additional opinions.
I am pretty sure that is what happened in my case, too.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#8 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 PM

My son had one this fall as part of the workup/differential diagnosis for Bell's Palsy and subsequent one-sided weakness.

We got at least a quick read that day - by that time they were pretty sure it was Lyme and someone looked at it long enough to tell DH (who took him that day) that there weren't any obvious anomalies.

(Note: Ask if you can get a CD with the pictures! It's REALLY COOL and my DS loves his!)

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#9 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

(Note: Ask if you can get a CD with the pictures! It's REALLY COOL and my DS loves his!)
I had no idea you could do that!! I have to get 2 MRIs a year, maybe I can get a CD from the next one. I always joke with my students that they have to check to make sure my brain is still in there It might be super cool to show it to them!

#10 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM

We have most of Gabrielle's on CD.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

The MRI was done as outpatient, so I guess we'll have to wait. I think it would make me nervous if they called right away. The waiting is hard no matter how long, though.

~Lizzie~

Four boys: Corey (11) blahblah.gif , Aiden REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif  (8), Simon superhero.gif   (5), Timothy bouncy.gif (2).  Shh! Surprise no. 5 in October 2012! belly.gif

#12 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I had no idea you could do that!! I have to get 2 MRIs a year, maybe I can get a CD from the next one. I always joke with my students that they have to check to make sure my brain is still in there It might be super cool to show it to them!
We got his on a disk with the program used to flip through them (it was Windows, so I had to use it at work). There is an "export as JPG" option on the program (at least on ours).

It gave us all the slices in each direction. In one you can see his eyeballs, in another you can see the roots of his molars. He took those to school for Sharing time and was a *big* hit.
It almost made up for all the unpleasant medical procedures. Not quite, but it did help.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page