3. if your child has an IEP or 504 plan
4. how your child does in school
5. great ADHD resources

Thank you.
#2 of 30 Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are filling out the paperwork for my son to send to the Pediatrician. Not sure if he does or not.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 30 Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Your son is just slightly older than mine. What are his symptoms?
#4 of 30 Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM

My son was first thought to "have" ADHD symtpoms around age 4. Teachers noted behaviors, etc. in preschool. He was officially diagnosed when he was in kindergarten, around age 5.5yrs. He did ok academically, but behaviorally was hyper, couldn't sit still, focus, etc. He got in trouble a lot. He had the same wonderful teacher in K/1. We tried many things before trying medications this year in 2nd grade. He does much,much better. He's never had academic problems though. His handwriting is neater and straighter though. We've never done an IEP,504,etc. He takes vyvanse, 20mg(lowest dose)daily. It is the first and only med we tried. We also did some neurofeedback which helped.
Good resources:
www.chadd.org

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#5 of 30 Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyNY View Post
We just got this diagnosis today. I'm interested in hearing:

1. your child's age
2 if you use any medication and if so, what meds do you use
5. great ADHD resources

Thank you.
1. He'll be 5 in July.
2. No
3. He has an IEP
4. He's only just starting kindergarten this coming September.
5. This site

My son is suspected of having adhd but they are now saying there is a better chance of it being central auditory processing disorder which has many of the same symptoms.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#6 of 30 Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1.She will be 7 in Aug
2 No Meds
3. She has a IEP it started March 2010
4. Major academic problems. She struggled alot in K when i brought up my concern about her speech i was basically brushed off by the school. Well 2months into the school year for 1st grade and her teachers agree with me about her problems. The school doesn't get around to starting the evaluation process til Jan/Feb.
The school's evaluation results are that she has ADHD Inattentive type, auditory processing deficit,and speech and language delay.
We meet with a psychologist her dr referred us to again in October.. he saw the schools opinion and wants to see how the IEP helps her and will evaluate her in October. He said meds should be a last resort.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#7 of 30 Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:

1. your child's age
5. great ADHD resources

Thank you.
She is 7. We got the official diagnosis in January of this year.

She takes Vyvanse and it has made a world of difference for us all.

She goes to a small private school that does not have any sort of formal IEP/504 plan. She gets some leeway from the teacher though.

School is a mixed bag. She is doing OK academically, but probably was at the bottom of her class in reading. Since she tests gifted as well, she really shouldn't be there. We are seeing things improve by leaps and bounds since February. The fact that she is so bright masked her attention difficulties and the fact that she couldn't pay attention (or sit still) long enough to catch more than the teacher's first few words on any subject. Luckily, her 1st grade teacher is very experienced and had 2 ADHD kids of her own, so she's been a great resource and help with all of this.

We have a great ped. psych. who has stepped us through a lot over the last few months, but I'm definitely hoping someone who has been at this longer has some great (and less expensive) resources to suggest.
#8 of 30 Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 PM

1. your child's age:
Just turned 8, was orginally diagnosed with PDD at 4 years old, at six years old his diagnosis was changed to ADHD with mild SPD.

2 if you use any medication and if so, what meds do you use;
We tried Medadate 10mg with good initial results, but a slow and steady increase in anxiety over several months. Then he grew and we had to increase his dosage and noticed a big increase in anxiety and he started to bite his toe nails and finger nails until they bled. After he had to take antibiotics for a life threatening infection and that combined with the ADHD medications, gave him severe anxiety and major phobias in a matter of 24 hours. He no longer takes ADHD medication, all his symptoms went away after stopping the medications. We've also tried cognitive behavorial therapy, diet changes (he's on a milk free, dye free, wheat limited diet), counseling, social skills group, martial arts, fish oil and other supplements, and a chiropractor.

No, but we home school. He didn't have on in kindergarten, but I wish he had.

4. how your child does in school,
He does great, but we home school. Last year, he did fine academically, but struggled with his sensory issues and he was badly bullied, so it's hard to tell what caused his issues.

5. great ADHD resources
CHAD and my sister with a kid with ADHD
#9 of 30 Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
kme

1. He is 11.

2. He is not on meds now but was from 3rd-5th grades. (He is in 6th grade now), He was on Daytrana.

3. He does not have an IEP or 504. We were told he did not qualify.

4. He struggled from kg-3rd, mostly with paying attention and being "with it" enough to be truly engaged. He did "OK" academically during that time but really blossomed in 4th grade on Daytrana. he got straight A's through 4th-5th grade on the meds, with the exception of a couple B's in math. This year, off the meds, his grades have dropped a bit and he is struggling much more with organization and paying attn in class. He has A's and B's, with some "Not working up to potential" and "Does not participate in class" type comments. He has struggled to maintain a B in math and science.

Basically, he is a smart kid who REALLY struggles with organization and paying attention. His hyperactivity has decreased a lot in the last couple years but he was very hyperactive as a young child.

5. I got a lot of help from his doctor
#10 of 30 Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

We were planning on homeschooling as well, but that's out for a variety of reasons. The dev. pediatrician thinks that kindergarten would help ease his anxiety...any truth to that?
#11 of 30 Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Your son is just slightly older than mine. What are his symptoms?
Imulsive. He has to be the center of attention. It's all about him. He interrupts conversations constantly. Won't sit still. Constantly in motion.

He doesn't finish projects.

This link I swear is like talking about my son. He has most of these.

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-symptoms

We filled out the questionare for the Ped. Now we are waiting to get in to see him to go over it. My son's Kindergarten teacher filled one out too.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#12 of 30 Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM

The other major thing is, he talks extremely fast almost all the time. Most of the time I can't understand him.

#13 of 30 Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM

1. your child's age
My son just turned six. He was diagnosed when he turned 5. Evidently, he was unmanagable in school--didn't sit still or pay attention. The most troublesome problem was the he ocassionally got violent with the other children which is why we went with medication...
Metadate ER 30 mg every morning, with a dose of 5mg of liquid Ritalin (very, very expensive!) on school days to keep him chilled during the afternoon. We use Metadate because it comes in a capsule and can be broken open, the powder put on applesauce and eaten (as opposed to being swallowed). This is cheaper than having a compounding pharmacy making up more liquid Ritalin.
No he does not. He is in a private, religious school. It would be helpful, though, but I couldn't be sure that they would follow even if there was a written IEP.
Not very well, but his violence has diminished (is it the medicine or maturity? Hard to say). He will probably repeat kindergarten next year, as his reading skills are not up to what the school wants for first grade. We may partially homeschool him next year.
5. great ADHD resources
First of all, try to get a good pediatrician, pediatric psychologist and/or psychiatrist to diagnose the ADHD. The American Academy of Pediatrics has a well-balanced book called ADHD: A Complete and Authoritative Guide . The other responders have good resources listed also.
#14 of 30 Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM

We are taking my son to the pediatrician this Friday. I will be shocked and amazed if he doesn't get the official diagnosis.

1. Age
Turns 7 in 10 days.

2. Medication
No because we don't have the diagnosis yet, however I am fully resigned to this at this point.

3. IEP/504
No, my son attends parochial school for kindergarten and this isn't really an option where we are. I don't think this is necessary at this point.

4. School performance
Average at this point, but one of the major reasons that we are proceeding with the evaluation is the fact that his problems are starting to effect his school performance, as well as causing major issues with his peer and social development.

5. Resources
CHADD and I have been looking for more.
#15 of 30 Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
1. your child's age
5. great ADHD resources
my sons are 11, 8, 7, and 5. all of them have ADHD.

all but my 7yo are on meds. the 8 and 11yo's take concerta, 72mg everyday. my 5yo ds takes vyvanse, 20mg, but we are upping it next month to 30mg.

my 11 ds does not have an IEP. my 7 and 8yo's do, but they are also dignosed with PDD-NOS and aspergers, respectively. my 5 yo doesn't start kindergarten til the fall, but i imagine he will need an IEP for sensory breaks and such.

my 11yo does amazing, as long as he is on his meds. if he is off, oooh, boy, look out! my 8yo is doing very poorly in school, to the point where i am considering homeschooling next year. my 7yo does fairly well, given his other difficulties. both 7 and 8 yo's spend about half their day in the special ed room, working in smaller groups.

i wish i had some great resources for you, but most of what i know is on the internet or from our family dr. also, friends and family with similar issues.

ETA: meant to say that we tried a bunch of different meds before we settled on these. also, it seems like they are taking a huge amount of these meds, but they metabolize it so fast, we had to raise it this high. i hate doing it, tho. also, my 11yo takes a med called clonidine so that he can actually sleep, otherwise he is literally up all night and will go days without sleeping.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#16 of 30 Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Not to hijack but does anyone's ADHD child have slow processing speed as well? I hear it's very common in ADHD kids, along with other learning disabilities. Mine is 9 and ADHD-combined type with a secondary "diagnosis" of slow processing speed and she is not yet medicated. I was not surprised with the adhd diagnosis but the processing speed threw me a curveball. I guess it makes sense knowing her but it never even occurred to me that it could be an issue given her good grades at school. So I was just wondering if any of these kids had the same issues or if mine is just weird like that.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#17 of 30 Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Not to hijack but does anyone's ADHD child have slow processing speed as well? I hear it's very common in ADHD kids, along with other learning disabilities. Mine is 9 and ADHD-combined type with a secondary "diagnosis" of slow processing speed and she is not yet medicated. I was not surprised with the adhd diagnosis but the processing speed threw me a curveball. I guess it makes sense knowing her but it never even occurred to me that it could be an issue given her good grades at school. So I was just wondering if any of these kids had the same issues or if mine is just weird like that.
Just to say that my DS has just been diagnosed with ADHD and has slow processing speed.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#18 of 30 Old 05-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
We are taking my son to the pediatrician this Friday. I will be shocked and amazed if he doesn't get the official diagnosis.

1. Age
Turns 7 in 10 days.

2. Medication
No because we don't have the diagnosis yet, however I am fully resigned to this at this point.

3. IEP/504
No, my son attends parochial school for kindergarten and this isn't really an option where we are. I don't think this is necessary at this point.

4. School performance
Average at this point, but one of the major reasons that we are proceeding with the evaluation is the fact that his problems are starting to effect his school performance, as well as causing major issues with his peer and social development.

5. Resources
CHADD and I have been looking for more.
Just to update, he did get the ADHD diagnosis. However, as we discussed everything, we all think that waiting till late summer might be the best time to start medication.
#19 of 30 Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
Just to say that my DS has just been diagnosed with ADHD and has slow processing speed.
S. has a slower processing speed for spoken instructions. To quote his kindy teacher, "If he can see it, he can learn it." Forget telling the kid anything.
Sorry for the hijack...
#20 of 30 Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM

1. your child's age

12. diagnosed at age 4. began medication at age 6, when it became clear that although he has a gifted level iq, he wasnt going to be able to function in school. he was spending all day rolling all over the floor, running around, etc. once he got on the medication, it was like night and day. he has also been diagnosed with PDD-NOS which I question somewhat. he is socially challenged but its hard to tell if its true PDD-NOS or just the general immaturity (ADHD kids are typically at least 3 years behind maturity wise).

concerta in morning, generic ritalin at lunch and after school. this has changed several times over the 6 years that he has been taking medication.

no but only because he is medicated and in a private school with 6 kids total, mixed grades, in his class.

A honor roll

5. great ADHD resources

CHADD. there are also lots of books but specifics escape me right now.
#21 of 30 Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
glad to hear there are others iwth slow processing speed. well. . . . .not glad. . . . . .but glad we aren't alone. it's SO frustrating for both her and I. We are doing a trial of concerta right now, lowest dose(18mg) and nothing noticable yet. Only been a few days but we do two weeks and move up to the next dose. I hear good things about vyvanse so that may be the next med we try if the concerta isn't doing it at a higher dose. She's been unmedicated so long and done well in school but her impulsive behavior and memory problems have gotten really bad lately and she's gotten to be dangerous with her sisters. Not aggressive so much as, she doesn't realize she's twice their size and she could really hurt them.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#22 of 30 Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 PM

1. Age - my daughter is 21. We got her diagnosis when she was in 3rd grade, and back then it was called ADD-Inattentive.

2. Medications - we did not start medications until she was in 7th grade and school became too overwhelming for her. She asked for the help. We started on Adderall, and also tried Adderall XR, Concerta, and Ritalin. They did help her focus, but caused her to lose a frightening amount of weight.

3. IEP - like some others, our children attended parochial school and even is she had an IEP I am not certain it would have been followed. We did feel that the small school where she knew everyone and was right across the street from our house was the best option (I had to watch for her to come home even through 8th grade because she sometimes read and didn't look before she crossed streets).

4. School - school was a disaster from a grade standpoint. She tests extremely well, read at a high school level in 2nd grade, and is an excellent public speaker. Even with the medication, she had a hard time remembering to turn in her homework and would not do anything she considered to be busywork. For example, she would spell every word correctly on her pre-test and on the graded test, and felt it was asinine to have to fill in the workbook, so she took a D for many years in spelling. In high school and college, she excelled in any class she was engaged in, but zoned out or did not go to classes she did not feel she was learning something important in. She is not currently taking medication as she does not like the way it makes her feel, and has withdrawn from college. She just found a full-time job that she likes, so that is her plan for now. She will be a great success at whatever she decides to do in life, but she will not take a "normal" path to get there.

5. Resources - I read everything that even mentions ADD in a peripheral way, and am always on the hunt for new approaches or solutions. My husband also has an ADD diagnosis, as do 3 of his siblings and and 4 of my daughter's cousins. My daughter is the only girl to be diagnosed so far.
#23 of 30 Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM

1. Sophia, age 9

2. Dx. age 8, does not take medication d/t her CHD of PA-IVS

3. No, she attends a Catholic school. She does, however, have a service plan which doesn't do anything for her really

4. Sophia does average in school, but socially, she has no friends. She's very ackward and immature compared to the other girls. She tends to play with the boys. It's very depressing to see and I'm not sure what to do about it. She cries a lot and frankly, so do I.

5. Resources? I guess the internet.

Laura
#24 of 30 Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 PM

1. DD will be 7 in August. She was recently diagnosed with ADHD and ODD

2 We are about to try Ritalin 5mg, I am very depressed about this decision to try medication.

3. I definitely need to look into an IEP or 504 plan

4. My child excels in everything except behavior. She tested high in IQ, does all her homework, just cannot sit still or listen to simple directions.

5. The internet and Mothering
#25 of 30 Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM

1. DS age 9.6, diagnosed at 8.1 , mainly inattentive type with some hyper on occasion
2 no meds....yet (trying to decide what to do... still)
3. if your child has an IEP or 504 plan -no
4. how your child does in school - he does amazingly well. He has been lucky with good teachers who understand that he's not trying to ignore. He is an A student and performs at a high level academically. He's very challenged in settings without a lot of structure & is reallllly challenged by transition and social skills.

Anyone have success with Feingold? My DH really doesn't want to give meds. We have him on zinc & fish oil so far.

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#26 of 30 Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Yes, when we had my DS evaluated his processing speed was very low.

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#27 of 30 Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

1. your child's age
5. great ADHD resources

Thank you.

1. Turned 6 in January. Flagged for ADHD (heavy on the "H" ). They said dxing happens at age 7 but one of the dxing criteria is that it appears BEFORE the age of 7.

2. No meds. We're going to try Feingold (but we're in the midst of a chaotic relocation that is making it hard to eat healthy, let alone restrictively )

3. We haven't had him tested by the district to determine IEP/504 eligibility because he's homeschooled. Last May, he tested out of his other therapies (OT & ST) that were unrelated to ADHD.

4. Homeschooled.

5. Wish I had some!!!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#28 of 30 Old 06-07-2010, 05:34 PM

We haven't gotten an "official" diagnosis yet - just testing through the school. The Connor's that they had us (and his teacher) fill out came back indicating that he most likely has it (90%+ for one parent and the teacher, 77% for the other parent). We meet with our doc tomorrow to hopefully get a referral to a neuro-psych. I'm still reeling from it all honestly, and having a hard time believing that my DS could have anything "wrong" with him - but at the same time, I have a sense of relief that we'll have some answers to some of his more challenging/puzzling behaviors.

1. your child's age: 6 years, 2 months

None yet, DH and I are really unsure what to do regarding this - on one hand, if it helps him have an easier time in school and life we'd do anything. On the other hand, we both feel really strongly about young kids and these types of meds.

Not yet, but the psych at school said that if we get an official diagnosis we can get him "the services he needs"

Off the charts great - we've also done some evaluating for giftedness. His problems are mostly in listening/following multi-step directions, some behavior stuff, and getting his work done on time. He's very chatty - the boy talks ALL the time and has a really hard time waiting his turn to speak. He also has a slower processing speed (but still w/in the normal range, just significantly lower than any of his other scores).

5. great ADHD resources
still figuring it out...which is why I'm here!
#29 of 30 Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM

1. your child's age:

DS, 11 1/2 years

(I also highly suspect my 7 yo DS and 4 yo DD, who has Down Syndrome, have ADHD, but right now their behavior is not disruptive enough to warrant seeking out treatment.)

DS was just officially diagnosed last week and has his first psychiatric appt tomorrow to start meds. However, the diagnosis comes as no surprise -- he's exhibited these behaviors since he was 3, but it wasn't until this past school year (5th grade) that his school performance took a HUGE nosedive, which is what prompted me to seek out outside help.

In addition, DH also has ADD, inattentive-type, and just started on meds for the first time in Jan at the age of 43 (started on Adderall, and is currently trying out Vyvanse.) The difference for DH has been SO profound and positive that it's making me feel better about trying meds for DS. We've already gone the diet change/fish oil route, unfortunately with limited success, and the waitlist here for cognitive behavioral therapy is 6-8 mos. long. So in the meantime we're going to give meds a try.

I am somewhat concerned about the weight loss part, though -- DH has lost 20 lbs. since he began meds, which has actually been a benefit for him, but DS isn't at all overweight and is already highly active, so I need to make sure to up his calories to compensate for the appetite suppressant aspects of the meds. I am also concerned how it may affect his sleep patterns, as DH has experienced bouts of insomnia if he forgets and takes his meds too late in the morning. Meds are not without consequences, that's for sure.

No, but I plan to ask for an eval when school starts again in the fall, because DS may really benefit from some testing accomodations.

DS is super bright, extremely verbal and way too talkative, creative, curious, very social, and an eternal optimist. Despite not putting forth much effort, not paying attention to directions, constantly losing and forgetting things, and only spending time on subjects that he finds interesting, he has always done extremely well in school. However, this past school year was a disaster -- he goes to an alternative school that has multi-age classrooms and was in an upper-grade class for the first time (grades 4-8.) The amount of schoolwork and complexity was much harder than before, and with no organizational skills, combined with all the inattention issues, he fell flat on his face. Not wanting this to become a trend and undermine his academics for the rest of his school career (as it did DH's), I decided it was time to intervene via getting him the diagnosis/meds, because all his compensatory efforts were no longer enough to hold it together.

5. great ADHD resources

Wish I knew, especially since I know well that meds are only part of the solution -- he also really needs to implement strategies to help keep him more organized and on track, and all my suggestions don't seem to appeal to him, sigh...

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#30 of 30 Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
I am somewhat concerned about the weight loss part, though -- DH has lost 20 lbs. since he began meds, which has actually been a benefit for him, but DS isn't at all overweight and is already highly active, so I need to make sure to up his calories to compensate for the appetite suppressant aspects of the meds. I am also concerned how it may affect his sleep patterns, as DH has experienced bouts of insomnia if he forgets and takes his meds too late in the morning. Meds are not without consequences, that's for sure.
My 7 YO takes Vyvanse. While every child is different, of course, we haven't had any sleep issues at all, if that gives you any comfort. She does take the min. dose (but then, she's 7 and 40- pounds) and we are careful about giving it around the same time each day (7 on school days, 8 on weekends). She goes to sleep between 8:30 and 9 without any problem at all.

We have had appetite and weight issues -- she was underweight to start with and is losing weight with this medication. We've been really struggling to make each bite count and figure out how to get more calories into her. Which is especially hard given that the rest of us are overweight/obese and are always trying to minimize calorie content.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page