"treating explosive kids" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just got this book today. it's awesome. i highly recommend this if you have a challenging child with sensory issues, ADD/ADHD or ASD.

this is a book for professionals, but it's easy enough to understand once you "get" the tone of the text.

it has a companion website http://www.thinkkids.org/ with printables etc.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

life changing book for our family.

just the change in perspective is changing things, without us even doing anything.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 05-09-2010, 12:52 AM

Thanks, I will definitely check it out. Ds#1 has ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorder and while he is so amazingly sweet and tending to mellow as he gets older he still has his times where he explodes emotionally (like today, multiple times) and it's good to have some additional resources.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:12 AM

I love that someone put that in book form. I was in such a crisis situation with my son that I called CPS and asked them to give me a therapist. They were surprised that I called up and asked but they do have services. The therapist they sent was wonderful and she said that she noticed I work with my son in a way that was very similar to this book. So she gave me the book and I felt so much better - like I was really doing it right all along and didn't have to listen to what other people were telling me with how I had to "punish" my son for his behavior, etc. There is also a private school here that uses the collaborative problem solviing approach. I did everything I could to get my son into that school. He's been there a year now and with the school environment matching up to his home environment, he's finally starting to make progress.

It's just such a relief to have experts explain that my child isn't being bad or manipulative or that he has a behavior problem. Because of this book I can explain where my family is coming from to others who are involved in our lives and I can actually get somewhere with them.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow--this looks very interesting & potentially helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

anyone out there actually use this book? i experimented a bit with "plan B" yesterday and it went well. just one try though. i am hoping to use it with my DH too... who is a lot like my DS.

feeling hopeful today.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the links!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
anyone out there actually use this book? i experimented a bit with "plan B" yesterday and it went well. just one try though. i am hoping to use it with my DH too... who is a lot like my DS.

feeling hopeful today.
Yeah I intuitively have responded to my son in the way the book outlines all his life. I basically live by the book. The best thing is that my son's school uses that book. So we're all on the same page
Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 PM

I am reading this book right now! I checked it out from the library. My Ods has a lot of ADHD signs, plus has low blood sugar issues, and definately explodes.

I recognized a lot of myself AND DH in there too.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

User Tag List