Autism & sudden clumsiness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last couple of days, Liam (5.5, with autism) has been falling all over the place. Tripping constantly, fell down the last couple of stairs, falling off of the couch. It's not like he's standing still and just tipping over - he's a rowdy, excitable guy. But it seems like it's constant the last few days!

I know motor skills (or problems with motor skills, I guess) are often common in autistic people, but he has always been average/above average maybe, in those areas... so it seems very out of nowhere. But maybe that happens, too? We've recently run off the rails wrt our dietary goals (we tend to do a late-stage SCD/grain-free type diet) and so we're experiencing a lot of behavioural challenges/mood issues/sleep issues because of that... I guess, now that I think about it any of those things could make him less cautious or careful.

I'm also wondering if it's just a growth spurt or something. His uncles were both extremely klutzy growing up (one with the unfortunate nickname of "the walking scab"), so. I don't know, I guess I don't really have a question. Just thinking out loud.

Anyone else experiencing the same kind of thing?

#2 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Yeah sure, low gross motor skills is one of the aspects of Autism but I've never heard of it being one of those big red flags in diagnosing a child. If he hasn't been falling down a lot before but suddenly is now, it could be a growth spurt. I remember feeling all sorts of awkward when I suddenly changed sizes. I hit my heels a lot one year for some reason.
#3 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I should have said: he *is* autistic, he was diagnosed years ago. Sorry for the misunderstanding. (I edited my post to clear that up)

Thanks for your thoughts. Growth spurt may very well be it.. his feet have been growing like crazy.

#4 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM

I wasn't sure! My son has physical symptoms when he eats wheat. The change in diet could be contributing. It wasn't until this year that my son made the connection and can now tell me his stomach feels funny instead of jumping up and running in circles or getting really irritated by everything. It makes it easier to keep wheat out of his diet now that he understands what it does to him.
#5 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM

my ds has aspergers and dyspraxia, has he been tested for that?

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#6 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 01:25 PM

All my kids get SUPER clumsy when they are in a growth spurt. It can be hard to get used to walking in a body that has changed significantly in a short period of time! If it doesn't get better in a few days then in may be time to investigate a little more, but otherwise it is likely just a spurt.

#7 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM

My kid is "naturally" klutzy but when he hit a big growth spurt this summer he was constantly falling (including off the couch multiple times), bumping into stuff, tripping over his own (bigger) feet, etc.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM

I suspect weak motor planning skills + growth spurt (or excessive tiredness, from what you describe). Has he ever had OT? I know that motor planning was one thing our OT worked a lot on with ds (who has SPD, not autism, but they're close enough that he shares a lot of issues with kids on the spectrum).

Our ds is in the middle of a growth spurt and actually sometimes just falls down standing there! He went up two shoe sizes (to a size 7! when he and dh brought home the shoes, I couldn't believe it), and has just been super clumsy. He runs into walls. He falls down over his own feet. Literally.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

This happened to my son too. It was scary. It wasn't just clumsy, he would run towards me and his legs would collapse and he would look at me like what happened?? He has really good balance usually.

His dr was really concerned. He has a history of clostridia in the gut so we treated for that and within 3 days it stopped. It was weird. If it continues I would take him to be seen just in case especially if it is real unlike him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page