Hi. I am a ADHD mama of ADHD kids with an ADHD hubby. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like this might be a good place to introduce myself - I am in a family that is trying to figure things out. Mama (me) probably ADHD - pretty severe, Daddy - dxd ADHD - possibly Aspie though, Son - 7, Dont know - trying to find the organization to get him dxd/help. Typical almost 5 yr old girl, and crazy active almost 3 yr old.

Our life is a little nuts right now, housefull of untreated adhd and maybe autism, but I am doing my best.

Oh, and sensory prosessing issues all around the board.

Anyone have trouble getting your kids help because you are dealing with your OWN adhd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Not yet or to your degree, thank goodness, but you might find this rant amusing.

Quote:
This is so unfair. It's like if you had diabetes and your doctor was like "You can't have your insulin until you eat eighteen Pixie Stix, a 16-ounce package of Skittles and a doughnut."

Or if you needed a heart transplant and your surgeon was all "Oh, you need a heart? Well, you're in luck! We have one for you at the top of that mountain over there. You just have to climb up and get it. You might have to fight some tigers. Good luck!" It's kind of like that too.

You shouldn't have to overcome your disorder to get medication to help you overcome your disorder. That is the kind of thing that causes the universe to implode.
#3 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Hi Happydance! While I do not have ADHD myself, my husband and my 21 year old daughter both have the diagnosis. I can only imagine your struggles, but wanted to say hello.
#4 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM

hi i am ADD, my hubby is probably ADD, and our 4 sons are all ADHD.

my house is a small, testosterone-filled circus.

eta: i am constantly forgetting things... appts, meds, school stuff... i am so bad that the dr office started telling me that the kids appts are 15 min earlier than they actually are, so that we show up on time!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#5 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We don't have the ADD/ADHD interaction. But my oldest son, my middle son, and myself all have sensory issues. Unfortunately my oldest son is a sensory seeker and my middle son and I are sensory avoiders. Nothing like someone having a sensory overload moment when someone else is trying to selfsooth by banging on things! Eeeek! It's quite interesting to deal with multiple issues in one family. It can truly be a circus like damona said!

#6 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello and welcome to the SN board!

You sound like you have your hands full. I deal with different issues here, but I know what it's like to deal with multiple issues in one family. Hope you stick around.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#7 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

It is insane. Hey, I thought "they" got rid of the ADD diagnosis a few years ago? Is there still an "ADD?"

Anyways, Honestly, I want to medicate. And then take care of my family holisticly. And maybe eventually get off meds.

Our home and the people in it dont even function right now.
#8 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 AM

Yes, I understand.
I'm an ADHD Mamma, with an ADHD partner and an ADHD son.

The best thing I ever did for myself and my family was go on Ritalin. It made me a much more patient, competant Mother and partner.
When things in our household would get chaotic, instead of blaming myself and getting overwhelmed, I'd feel .....capable.

Our home gets insane, but it's also a lot of fun. We understand each other on an intrinsic level that other people just don't "get".

The ADHD does get in the way of getting help. It gets done, it just takes a lot longer than other families.

27 Year old Canadian Mamma to a 9 year old boy and expecting #2 on Aug 28th 2010!
#9 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydance View Post
It is insane. Hey, I thought "they" got rid of the ADD diagnosis a few years ago? Is there still an "ADD?"

Anyways, Honestly, I want to medicate. And then take care of my family holisticly. And maybe eventually get off meds.

Our home and the people in it dont even function right now.
Welcome!
We've got a sort of special needs circus here too in many ways but it's not all Attention Deficit. We're more a smorgasbord!

I believe it's ADHD--Inattentive now. My spectrum kid is that as well...or maybe it sort of blends together to look like that. I don't know but he's extremely inattentive. My sister is ADHD so I have seen the impacts on adult life.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for the responses everyone. It feels good to not be alone.

I read lots of info about parenting an adhd child and also about one typical and ond adhd spouse - but nowhere have I found anything about how to thrive when EVERYONE has a fun brain. LOL.

And I think most moms in the thick of several small children might have a little situational adhd anyways...just par for the course!

The one thing that my husband and I do that needs to stop is we ask eachother for help and then we bicker with eachother when the other forgets or drops the ball. This happens frequently. We should understand more but we are very stressed because our life is quite chaotic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page